Netflix ships first 100k PS3 discs

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 10 Nov 2009 0:18 User comments (13)

Netflix ships first 100k PS3 discs Netflix has shipped the first 100,000 discs PS3 owners will need to view streaming Netflix content and promises that more are being shipped every day.
Netflix VP of marketing Jessie Becker says: "Jessie Becker here, VP Marketing. We know many of you are excited about being able to instantly watch movies and TV episodes via your PS3, and we’re excited as well. Today we shipped instant streaming discs for PS3 to about 100,000 Netflix members who requested them. After we tune a few more details, we expect to ship to everyone else within a couple of weeks. We’ll send you an email as soon as we ship your instant streaming disc. Keep checking here for updates as well."

The company won't say how many have been requested.

Netflix currently has 17,000 movies and TV shows available via the streaming Watch Instantly service and the PS3 Blu-ray disc is free as long as you request it.

110.11.2009 7:42

of course none for me yet,ps3 streaming disc is in my queue on short or long wait just like every new movie they allegedly have.netflix suck.

210.11.2009 13:56

You'd think in this day and age it would be better to just be able to download the software straight to the PS3 from the net instead of having to use a disc.

It's kind of ironic, one needs a disc to stream movies, which would have only been viewable via disc.

310.11.2009 14:59

Replace ironic with "microsoft paid contract"
They have a contract with netflix to not allow any other console to run netflix from the consoles dash board. Beleave it expires next November.

410.11.2009 15:15

Originally posted by slickwill:

thats what i thought but after some reading found out they are working on it. it was just quicker and easier to get the disc out for those who do not want to wait. soon there will be a way to download it on the ps3 store.

510.11.2009 15:27

I got my netflix disc for my ps3 last friday and it works flawlessly for me. I am very happy with it.

610.11.2009 21:58

I submitted my request last night and just got notified that I should be receiving it tomorrow! WooHoo!

712.11.2009 0:52

Originally posted by slickwill:

It's because it's implemented through BD Live 2.0 on the PS3 (supposedly to work around their agreement w/ M$), so it needs a BD to load.

812.11.2009 23:52
Omen159

I got mine last week and love it, just wish I could do a search from the ps3 instead of using my pc to find a certain movie and then queue it to my watch instantly queue But I can get over it cuz I can be as lazy as I want and not even get off the couch, picture is excellen and the streaming is flawless. Way to go Sony and Netflix, two thumbs up!

912.11.2009 23:55
Omen159

UPDATE comes out next year to watch without the disc in the PS3, But whats the big deal with it in there anyways, cant play a game and watch a movie at the same time, although that would be interesting, Hmmm!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Nov 2009 @ 23:56

1013.11.2009 0:47

Just wondering...has anyone tried the disk with a bluray player that has BDlive2.0, but not netflix support?

1113.11.2009 7:56

It's great. Tried it last night. The quality is great. The HD is better than my Cable. Just tried a bunch of TV shows. I'm so happy with this.

1213.11.2009 10:28

Hmmm, maybe i need to reopen my Netflix account for this. Does anyone know subtitles or close captions are available via streaming yet?

1324.11.2009 1:31

I love it. I already had a Netflix account so this is totally free for me....what more can I ask? The picture quality is fantastic.

Latest news

As cable TV falters, broadband prices go up As cable TV falters, broadband prices go up (20 Oct 2017 13:13)
Cable TV has been in decline for quite some time and there's no reason to believe that cord-cutting is slowing down any time soon. Netflix et al have just made this particular entertainment ....
1 user comment
Tim Cook promises Mac mini still has a future Tim Cook promises Mac mini still has a future (20 Oct 2017 12:15)
Apple's computer lineup has been refreshed fairly steadily during the past years, and even though lineup has changed slightly most products are still intact. Even the iMac was updated this year ....
1 user comment
Google makes 'try without downloading' Instant Apps public Google makes 'try without downloading' Instant Apps public (19 Oct 2017 17:06)
There aren't many more important upgrades coming to Google's app store than what the company calls Android Instant Apps. Unveiled first time more than a year ago and already available for developers ....
1 user comment
Marvel's newest Netflix superhero series gets a release date – and a new action-packed trailer Marvel's newest Netflix superhero series gets a release date – and a new action-packed trailer (19 Oct 2017 16:16)
Netflix has become one of the most important partners for Marvel very recently. In only a few years Netflix has released five Marvel shows with one more in line before the end of the year. ....
Netflix to spend $8 billion in programming next year Netflix to spend $8 billion in programming next year (18 Oct 2017 14:23)
There's no bigger player in the streaming TV and movies scene than Netflix – no matter how much you want it YouTube. This year the streaming giant will spend approximately $6 billion in programming, ....