New York to send emergency broadcast alerts via XBL

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 25 Nov 2009 13:00 User comments (10)

New York to send emergency broadcast alerts via XBL New York state officials are preparing to use Xbox Live to broadcast emergency alerts such as natural disasters and terrorist attacks.
The New York state Emergency Management Office says they are planning to test alerts over TV, radio, the Internet and the gaming consoles in an effort to "reach younger residents who spend more time on the Xbox, PlayStation," then on traditional media outlets.

New York state deputy chief information officer Rico Singleton added (via IW): The decision was made mainly "considering the amount of time our youth spend on video games."

Additional details are scarce but Singleton did say the technology is ready and being tested.

The Xbox online service was the only one mentioned by name but it is extremely likely the alerts will be broadcast via the PlayStation 3 and Wii as well.

126.11.2009 2:01

This is some good forward thinking on their part. The amount of televisons that are not viewing a broadcast must be much much higher than years past. This is a good way to reach some.

226.11.2009 3:38

It has to be better than the ones on tv...everyone has a DVR, so they don't get these messages untill they watch the show containing the message. By that time, the emergency is over, but the recording on the DVR is destroyed by the break-in.

I wonder how they would do it...it can't be by zipcode, as everyone lies about that during setup. I sure would be pissed if they broke into my PS3 while i was gaming just to announce, "Attn: This is a test of the new york emergency system, it is not an actual emergency [loud, long, annoying beep] [loud, long, annoying beep] [loud, long, annoying beep] If this had been an actual emergency, then you would not need this message because you would already be dead after all those long beeps. Thank you."

326.11.2009 9:22

-25G The end of the world

426.11.2009 10:21

..except all the people who've just had their consoles banned won't be able to get the alerts; oh the irony :p

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

527.11.2009 19:30

They show they are thinking to future. WTG. Then they shot themselves in the foot and ban many many users.They should have looked into their own future with all there smarts.

629.11.2009 2:25

I hate to say it, but this would be very annoying. Most "emergency" alerts we get are not something I would interrupt a game for. And I can imagine they will use this for Amber alerts too. So ya know that kid that's missing might be the one that fragged you on Xbox Live.

Oh yeah, and there's the mandatory weekly test. So count on some random chance your game may be cut short at any given time. They had better make this an opt-in type service.

730.11.2009 10:37

Originally posted by Coyote42:

Well on the bright side, 2 minute warning siren - you get a chance to save your game & drag your 360 to the basement's faraday cage before an EMP strike fries the crap outta the circuits. Or maybe M$ could add an anti-spam feature to block these unwanted messages? LOL
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Nov 2009 @ 10:38

81.12.2009 12:58

"then on traditional media outlets. " Not to be a bother...but I believe you meant to use "than." Nedd an editor...lol

91.12.2009 13:10

Originally posted by howy_2005:
I Guess I "nedd" an editor

101.12.2009 23:46
BaconBIt

I think this is a good idea because I know that most of the time my television is on, I'm playing my Xbox. It would be nice if campus officials would consider the same idea.