AfterDawn: Tech news

Comcast may seal bid for NBC Universal stake next week

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 26 Nov 2009 13:01 User comments (5)

Comcast may seal bid for NBC Universal stake next week According to AFP sources, Comcast might seal a deal to buy a controlling stake in NBC Universal from General Electric next week. General Electric owns 80 percent of NBC Universal, with Vivendi owning the remaining 20 percent stake. In order for any deal to go ahead between GE and Comcast, GE will have to get a green light from Vivendi. The AFP source said that GE chief executive Jeffrey Immelt flew to Paris to discuss the proposed deal with Vivendi.
The Wall Street Journal has reported that the deal would value NBC Universal at about $30 billion. NBC Universal holdings include the NBC network, one of the four major U.S. television networks (along with ABC, Fox and CBS), Universal Pictures, finance channel CNBC and news network MSNBC.

"It is possible that Mr. Immelt's conversations with Vivendi chief executive Jean-Bernard Levy will lead to a general agreement on a sale Wednesday or in coming days, although there would likely still be some details to hammer out," the Journal reported.

Previous Next  

5 user comments

126.11.2009 13:11

Meh, too much going on with companies buying other company's stock these days. What ever happened to just one company, one stock idea? I know it's just control over who owns and buys what, but why so many companies taking stock over a single company at the same time? Doesn't make any sense to me. - BLEUBOY

226.11.2009 15:21

People should be more worried about how this proposed deal will effect their TV viewing. How will Comcast ownership of NBC effect such companies as Direct TV, and Dish Network, when it comes to broadcasting NBC property. Will this cause those two dish Co.'s to go after the other three networks? I fear things will get a lot worse for us the viewers, and may not ever get better.

326.11.2009 20:39

so if comicast controls NBC thats one hell of a monopoly...

spartybob
Unplug yourself from superscription TV until we consumers get alacart and control over what we pay for. Untill that day torrents and streaming is a lot better...

426.11.2009 23:29

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
so if comicast controls NBC thats one hell of a monopoly...

spartybob
Unplug yourself from superscription TV until we consumers get alacart and control over what we pay for. Untill that day torrents and streaming is a lot better...
Yes Zippy you and I can stream all the contents we want, But what about the majority of the people who either don't have access to the tech, can't afford to pay for the tech, or simply don't know how to. Your response is so typical, I've got mine screw everyone else! what a guy you are.

527.11.2009 11:30

Sadly that seems to be a very typical response there. Lighten up.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive