AfterDawn: Tech news

Snow slows debut of 'Avatar'

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 20 Dec 2009 14:57 User comments (24)

Snow slows debut of 'Avatar' James Cameron's epic 3D blockbuster Avatar appears to have been slowed in the United States by severe snowstorms on the East coast, opening to an estimated $73 million USD in domestic sales, good for the second largest December launch of all-time. The movie also had the third largest Friday opening of all-time, at $27 million.
'I Am Legend' opened to $77 million in December 2007.

Worldwide, the movie has already made an estimated $232 million, almost surpassing the movie's gigantic budget.

Avatar is said to be the fourth most expensive film to be ever made, with an official budget of $237 million. Ahead of it are "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" at $300 million, "Spider-Man 3" at $258 million, and "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" at $250 million. Marketing/advertising figures for the epic are said to surpass $120 million.

Sales will undoubtedly be compared to James Cameron's last movie, Titanic, which spent 6 months in theaters bringing in $600 million domestic and $1.8 billion globally.

Previous Next  

24 user comments

120.12.2009 22:52

Wow, just imagine if a porno film had a budget of $300 million.

221.12.2009 0:27

Wow, piracy isn't being blamed? Abs0olutely amazing!

321.12.2009 1:53

I saw the movie and thought it was pretty good, granted that it was a little slow during some scenes.

421.12.2009 2:10
scum101
Inactive

Takes him 10 years to rip off dances with wolves.. then everybody is up his ass about what a great movie it is.. boring.


521.12.2009 10:48

Originally posted by scum101:
Takes him 10 years to rip off dances with wolves.. then everybody is up his ass about what a great movie it is.. boring.
Maybe the very basic plot could be said to be a rip off. But if you watch it, it's a whole other experience.

621.12.2009 13:14

I regret not watching it in 3d, o well maybe I will watch it again in IMAX 3d.

721.12.2009 14:59

Originally posted by bomber991:
Wow, just imagine if a porno film had a budget of $300 million.

That would be one hell of a porno, epic even lol

821.12.2009 18:19
H08
Inactive

meh, dont really feel anything special about this movie

921.12.2009 18:19
H08
Inactive

meh, dont really feel anything special about this movie

1022.12.2009 0:14

Originally posted by H08:
meh, dont really feel anything special about this movie
have you watched the film or are you basing this simply on the trailer? Because i thought this was just going to be another movie bust, but after watching it, i found it to be pretty enjoyable

1122.12.2009 2:28

I watched the movie in 2D. I have not paid to watch a movie in a cinema in way more than half a year, but first time I get a chance to see this one in 3D, I will go and watch it again...

1222.12.2009 4:40

I'll wait for it on 3D bluray...I hate children, and PG13 movies are full of the little bastards. I was going to go to it just because it was 3D...but then I found out it was not rated R or NC17.

Probably for the best anyway...after his last few movies, I prefer Ed Wood to James Cameron...at least Ed Wood movies are not 2hrs and 40 minutes long.

1322.12.2009 6:20

I'm going to see it on Christmas. Last couple of years my wife and I went on Christmas, the theater was empty.

1422.12.2009 10:26
H08
Inactive

i havent watched the movie and dont plan too. the plot kind of already annoys me.

1522.12.2009 13:21

I don't understand how snow has slowed the movie down.

From what I understand, most theaters were sold out. Most likely aided by folks who were snowed out of school and/or work with little else to do.

1622.12.2009 13:29

Originally posted by pirkster:
I don't understand how snow has slowed the movie down.

From what I understand, most theaters were sold out. Most likely aided by folks who were snowed out of school and/or work with little else to do.

You talk like someone that doesn't live in an area where it actually snows...I have to drive ~15-20 minutes to get to the Cinema where I go; when is blizzard or the snow piles up, I would rather not take my chance on the road. Bad enough that I have to leave the house for work...A movie can wait another weekend.

1723.12.2009 0:32

When the snow is so bad that people are off of work, this often means that the theater is closed too.

Plus, most schools are out right now anyway.

1823.12.2009 16:52

Quote:
Originally posted by pirkster:
I don't understand how snow has slowed the movie down.

From what I understand, most theaters were sold out. Most likely aided by folks who were snowed out of school and/or work with little else to do.

You talk like someone that doesn't live in an area where it actually snows...I have to drive ~15-20 minutes to get to the Cinema where I go; when is blizzard or the snow piles up, I would rather not take my chance on the road. Bad enough that I have to leave the house for work...A movie can wait another weekend.
Lived in a snowy state all my life.

Fact is, there are just as many unsubstantiated reasons why snow "helped" as much as "slowed" sales.

There is no statistical evidence that shows the opening was either positively or negatively affected by the snow.

1923.12.2009 17:04

I don't know whatever the statistics say, and I am sure you can make up reasons to go either way up or down, I am just talking from personal experience. If you're in the city area and you take public transit, that might be different, but when there's a drive of even 15 minutes, I am always inclined to fire up my AVI collection if I am snowed in and want to watch a movie, rather than fight the snow...

2023.12.2009 18:24

Originally posted by pirkster:

Lived in a snowy state all my life.

Fact is, there are just as many unsubstantiated reasons why snow "helped" as much as "slowed" sales.

There is no statistical evidence that shows the opening was either positively or negatively affected by the snow.
Do you go to the movies when there is 10 inches of snow outside and low visibility?

2124.12.2009 13:43

Quote:
Originally posted by pirkster:

Lived in a snowy state all my life.

Fact is, there are just as many unsubstantiated reasons why snow "helped" as much as "slowed" sales.

There is no statistical evidence that shows the opening was either positively or negatively affected by the snow.
Do you go to the movies when there is 10 inches of snow outside and low visibility?
I have done so.

In fact, there is an increase in entertainment etc. spending. Video stores get rented completely out, grocery stores are packed full of shoppers, and beer/liquor sales spike as well. Folks go out and enjoy the weather.

2224.12.2009 20:26

Yeah, please tell us how so enjoyable is being in a ditch in 2 feet of snow,or worse, in a freaking collision, on a road with less than 10 feet visibility...but then again, not everyone has supervision and balls of steel...

2324.12.2009 21:16

I live where it snowed 2 feet, no exaggeration. My fiends and I had every intention of seeing Avatar the weekend it came out if not the first day. But the snow hit hard. The street and my car was completely covered. I dug out my car and then it had the nerve to snow again. One of my friends and I finally got around to seeing it on Tuesday. As for my other friend, I'm not driving what is normally a 20 minute drive to pick him up in crappy conditions. So he still hasn't seen the movie.

So yea, the snow was definitely a factor, at least for me and my friends.

Anyway, loved the movie. I need to see it again. I would love a sequel but I have no idea what it could be about. I loved the relationship between Jake and Neytiri. Strange, I've never said that about a movie before.

Whatever, great movie, must see again, must download and must buy when released.

2424.12.2009 23:16

Originally posted by Tru_Husla:
I live where it snowed 2 feet, no exaggeration. My fiends and I had every intention of seeing Avatar the weekend it came out if not the first day. But the snow hit hard. The street and my car was completely covered. I dug out my car and then it had the nerve to snow again. One of my friends and I finally got around to seeing it on Tuesday. As for my other friend, I'm not driving what is normally a 20 minute drive to pick him up in crappy conditions. So he still hasn't seen the movie.

So yea, the snow was definitely a factor, at least for me and my friends.

Anyway, loved the movie. I need to see it again. I would love a sequel but I have no idea what it could be about. I loved the relationship between Jake and Neytiri. Strange, I've never said that about a movie before.

Whatever, great movie, must see again, must download and must buy when released.

I hear you... I live in northern Wisconsin, and in the last 24 hours we got over 8 inches, and it keeps on snowing right now. I drove back from work probably behind a dozen cars going 25-30 mph in a 55 zone. Probably couldn't pass and go faster even if I only had one vehicle in front of me, couldn't see anything.

Cameron says he already has plans for a sequel, even a 3rd part, depending on how the movie will be received by the audiences.

Quote:
...."All these CG mountains and plants and trees and leaves and flowers and buds and creatures - I mean, everything that you saw up there on the screen - had to be made by people at workstations over a period of years, and so they have value," says Cameron.

"So I feel like I have to make a second one now, but that'll only happen if we make some money with the first one. So we'll see... I have a story worked out for the second film, and the third film, but my lips are sealed."

Avatar opens across the UK on 17 December.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8414223.stm


Piss me off, and I Will ignore You!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive