AfterDawn: Tech news

New iPhone carrier deal to be announced in June?

Written by Rich Fiscus (Google+) @ 21 Dec 2009 19:25 User comments (24)

New iPhone carrier deal to be announced in June? Although not officially anounced yet, the date for next years Apple Worldwide Developer's Conference appears to have been chosen.Not surprisingly it will begin on June 28 to coincide with both the anniversary of the original iPhone's release and the expiration of AT&T's exclusive carrier deal.
With all the bad publicity and customer ill will generated by AT&T during their time as the ecxlusive iPhone partner you can be sure this will be more than just another iPhone launch. It will be Apple's chance to make a new start, either with a new US carrier deal or a completely open arrangement like Google is planning for their Nexus phone.

Assuming there is also an accompanying OS update, as their has been with each successive iPhone launch, it will also be the first time iPhone owners have been charged for it.

Thanks to the restrictions placed on them by the same accounting rules which have required them to charge iPod Touch owners for previous updates, they must charge for updates released more than three years after an iPhone is sold. Changes to these rules could mean Apple can offer free updates for the life of the device. They would also be able, for the first time ever, to immediately show the full amount of revenue generated from the next iPhone launch on their books.

In the past that revenue had to be spread across the same period during which free updates were offered.

Previous Next  

24 user comments

121.12.2009 19:44

Just curious, who's rule is it that they have to charge for iPod updates, as well as the iPhone thing?

221.12.2009 19:59

I'm confused. I read this 3 times and I'm not understanding.... Why am I being charged for updates?

321.12.2009 20:43

Original (1st Gen) iPhone owners will have to pay for updates...a year later, 2nd Gen iPhone owners will have to pay for updates...etc. This is MAJOR updates that add new features, not minor updates that just fix things.

421.12.2009 21:04

Originally posted by xnonsuchx:
Original (1st Gen) iPhone owners will have to pay for updates...a year later, 2nd Gen iPhone owners will have to pay for updates...etc. This is MAJOR updates that add new features, not minor updates that just fix things.
Ah ok. Thanks for the info. That's really shitty of them.

521.12.2009 22:39

@djeazyg

Regardless, the sheep still blindly flock to the apple tent and happily drink the kool aide.

621.12.2009 22:57

Originally posted by Unfocused:
@djeazyg

Regardless, the sheep still blindly flock to the apple tent and happily drink the kool aide.
Well.... I still think it's shitty to pay for updates after you paid hundreds for a phone, but.... Actually I've tried the other phones out there that are supposed to be better than the iPhone. None of them compare. Nobody's perfect and apple is no exception. But until they make a phone that works as well as the iPhone, I guess I'll be at the tent. I just hope next time I can get my iPhone with Verizon and not AT&T.

Just for the Record......The iPhone is the only Apple product I will buy.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Dec 2009 @ 23:00

721.12.2009 23:12

If they do open teh iphone to verizon i still think you need to look for 2 things. the first is which is going to be cheaper for the services. the base plan with 1500 text cost around 80 a month. if verizon can offer something of equal value for less will at&t do something to compete. Then second if you split the iphone population between other carriers that will obviously have to take some of teh stress off at&t netowrk not to mention one can only assume at&t will continue to expand there coverage and network strength.

822.12.2009 3:16

Competition always breads better pricing for customers, Economics 101. F U AT&T, and Verizon! The customer is what drives prices, not the companies.

922.12.2009 5:34

Another chance for Apple to screw their customers over...this time they will probably be exclusive to T-Mobile or MetroPCS...just to prove once again that their loyal customers will buy anything so long as it has an apple logo in it.

BTW...the Droid is still a very new phone, but it is already better than the iPhone 3G in reliability, and better than the 3GS in performance...without the exploding battery issue. It has fewer software titles, but much of the software is free, and there are free versions of most of the pay softwares on the iPhone. I think that most of the "The iPhone is better" comments come from people who have not tried the Droid, or who were unable to figure it out in the 2-3 minutes they did try it.

Apple users deserve to be stuck with AT&T...they blindly follow and even support a company that does everything they can to screw their customers, while claiming everything else to be inferior, even as they go to the emergency room with 3rd degree burns from their brand new 3GS.

1022.12.2009 8:30

More competition doesn't necessarily mean better prices. Until recently only Rogers/Fido had the iPhone in Canada and charged a lot for it. Now you can get it from any of the big carriers but the plans didn't change. Hopefully they still will though.

1122.12.2009 11:09

Why complain regarding the payment of an upgrade?

Try to think of paying for an update for an Apple (fill-in-the-blank) as an upgrade to an operating system.

Think of it as Microsoft making you pay from going from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, windows 95 to Windows 98, Windows 98 to ME, Windows ME to Windows XP, Windows XP to Windows Vista and now Windows Vista to Windows 7 (which is actually Windows Vista 2).

Likewise, look at virtually any large corporate software manufacture making an upgrade from a previous vrsion number to a newer version number. (For example... Adobe Flash CS3 to Adobe Flash CS4 and soon Adobe Flash CS5 or Adobe Creative Suite 3 Master Collection to Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection, etc...)

I'm sure that most, if not all, of these upgrades cost alot more than any of Apple's upgrade of (fill-in-the-blank).

1222.12.2009 11:48

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Another chance for Apple to screw their customers over...this time they will probably be exclusive to T-Mobile or MetroPCS...just to prove once again that their loyal customers will buy anything so long as it has an apple logo in it.

BTW...the Droid is still a very new phone, but it is already better than the iPhone 3G in reliability, and better than the 3GS in performance...without the exploding battery issue. It has fewer software titles, but much of the software is free, and there are free versions of most of the pay softwares on the iPhone. I think that most of the "The iPhone is better" comments come from people who have not tried the Droid, or who were unable to figure it out in the 2-3 minutes they did try it.

Apple users deserve to be stuck with AT&T...they blindly follow and even support a company that does everything they can to screw their customers, while claiming everything else to be inferior, even as they go to the emergency room with 3rd degree burns from their brand new 3GS.
Mother in law has the droid. I spent hours setting it up and showing her how to use it. It is not the be all iPhone killer it claims to be. Here we go with the assumptions again.

1322.12.2009 11:54

Originally posted by cpetrou:
Why complain regarding the payment of an upgrade?

Try to think of paying for an update for an Apple (fill-in-the-blank) as an upgrade to an operating system.

Think of it as Microsoft making you pay from going from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, windows 95 to Windows 98, Windows 98 to ME, Windows ME to Windows XP, Windows XP to Windows Vista and now Windows Vista to Windows 7 (which is actually Windows Vista 2).

Likewise, look at virtually any large corporate software manufacture making an upgrade from a previous vrsion number to a newer version number. (For example... Adobe Flash CS3 to Adobe Flash CS4 and soon Adobe Flash CS5 or Adobe Creative Suite 3 Master Collection to Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection, etc...)

I'm sure that most, if not all, of these upgrades cost alot more than any of Apple's upgrade of (fill-in-the-blank).
Gotta love the Windows 7 digs.

If Apple want's to charge me for a new operating system that's fine. But charging to go from 3.0 to 4.0 is not a new operating system. It would be more like Microsoft charging for the Service Packs.

1422.12.2009 14:03

Actually, going from 3.0 to 4.0 is the equivalent to a new operating system. Again, it is like going from Microsoft Office 2003 to Microsoft Office 2007.

Now, on the other hand... if you went from 3.0 to a version like 3.x... it would be like going from Windows XP to Windows XP Service Pack 1 or going from Windows XP SP 1 to Windows XP SP 2. These sort of upgrades usually do not cost anything (other than your time and download bandwidth).

BTW... I'm not giving Micro$haft Winblows 7 a dig... It is a fact, it is built upon Microsoft Windows Vista (therefore, it is in fact the equivalent to Windows Vista 2 - I think they changed the name for marketing purposes only - too much bad press when Vista was originally released).

Also, keep in mind that Windows Vista / Windows 7 (aka Windows Vista 2) is actually Microsoft Longhorn... Microsoft's attempt to recreate Apple Mac OS X released to the public in 2001. Now, nearly 9 years later Microsoft still didn't get it right... even with "Windows 7". LOL!!!

1522.12.2009 15:40

Hopefully something changes in Canada too...dont know why the prices are so high for plans in Canada but I might be a lifetime pay-as-you-go subscriber I can make a $100 phone card last me 1 1/5 years if i only use it when I absolutely must some of my buddies with a iphone have a $150 month contract for 3 years....plus I have rogers pay as you go and it doesnt work unless your in a big city if you travel with rogers in Canada excpect 100% dead spots outside of any city and in small cities expect dead spots everywhere, if I was on a 3 year plan with dead spots everywhere and dropped calls when i needed the phone I would be ready to seriously start freaking out.

I think Id rather spend 2 weeks on a beach every year instead of owning a iphone with its rediculas plan prices and the enourmous headache it brings...doubt theyll change, thought more companies would bring more competition many times but the companies all had basically the same plans or even worse plans than the overpriced and restricted plans as it was.

1622.12.2009 16:10

In regards to the paying for updates for Ipod Touches and older Iphones, this is due to a US FEDERAL accounting regulation.

As much as Apple may 'enjoy' receiving $10 payment for the update, their accounting costs to track that $10 out weighs it by at least 2 fold.

The minute they can stop charging for updates they will, because it will save them money.

Do some basic google research.

1722.12.2009 16:47

Originally posted by cpetrou:
Actually, going from 3.0 to 4.0 is the equivalent to a new operating system. Again, it is like going from Microsoft Office 2003 to Microsoft Office 2007.

Now, on the other hand... if you went from 3.0 to a version like 3.x... it would be like going from Windows XP to Windows XP Service Pack 1 or going from Windows XP SP 1 to Windows XP SP 2. These sort of upgrades usually do not cost anything (other than your time and download bandwidth).

BTW... I'm not giving Micro$haft Winblows 7 a dig... It is a fact, it is built upon Microsoft Windows Vista (therefore, it is in fact the equivalent to Windows Vista 2 - I think they changed the name for marketing purposes only - too much bad press when Vista was originally released).

Also, keep in mind that Windows Vista / Windows 7 (aka Windows Vista 2) is actually Microsoft Longhorn... Microsoft's attempt to recreate Apple Mac OS X released to the public in 2001. Now, nearly 9 years later Microsoft still didn't get it right... even with "Windows 7". LOL!!!
On the apple updates.... I think your opinion is flawed but that's cool. Not everybody going to agree.

On the Windows 7 dig..... I don't really care that much. I use what works best. Windows 7 works so much better than Vista in so many ways. And if XP accepted my 12gigs of ram (64bit XP is useless, nothing but headaches) maybe my opinion would be different. I just think it's funny to see people rag on MS.

1822.12.2009 16:59

Originally posted by djgizmo:
In regards to the paying for updates for Ipod Touches and older Iphones, this is due to a US FEDERAL accounting regulation.

As much as Apple may 'enjoy' receiving $10 payment for the update, their accounting costs to track that $10 out weighs it by at least 2 fold.

The minute they can stop charging for updates they will, because it will save them money.

Do some basic google research.
Good old government. Wants every penny they can squeeze out of ya.
Thanks for that bit of info, but......
If we Google every thought and question that comes to mind, forums like this one will become useless. I prefer to interact with people to get info than going to a dry website with only one opinion.

1922.12.2009 20:44

Originally posted by djeazyg:
Originally posted by djgizmo:
In regards to the paying for updates for Ipod Touches and older Iphones, this is due to a US FEDERAL accounting regulation.

As much as Apple may 'enjoy' receiving $10 payment for the update, their accounting costs to track that $10 out weighs it by at least 2 fold.

The minute they can stop charging for updates they will, because it will save them money.

Do some basic google research.
Good old government. Wants every penny they can squeeze out of ya.
Thanks for that bit of info, but......
If we Google every thought and question that comes to mind, forums like this one will become useless. I prefer to interact with people to get info than going to a dry website with only one opinion.
The problem is that so many ignoramuses in forums like this are going to believe what they want to believe regardless of what another commenter posts, but are (somewhat) more likely to believe otherwise if they find out themselves. Online forums seem to THRIVE on lazy, uneducated, knee-jerk reactions.

2022.12.2009 22:37

Quote:
Originally posted by djeazyg:
Originally posted by djgizmo:
In regards to the paying for updates for Ipod Touches and older Iphones, this is due to a US FEDERAL accounting regulation.

As much as Apple may 'enjoy' receiving $10 payment for the update, their accounting costs to track that $10 out weighs it by at least 2 fold.

The minute they can stop charging for updates they will, because it will save them money.

Do some basic google research.
Good old government. Wants every penny they can squeeze out of ya.
Thanks for that bit of info, but......
If we Google every thought and question that comes to mind, forums like this one will become useless. I prefer to interact with people to get info than going to a dry website with only one opinion.
The problem is that so many ignoramuses in forums like this are going to believe what they want to believe regardless of what another commenter posts, but are (somewhat) more likely to believe otherwise if they find out themselves. Online forums seem to THRIVE on lazy, uneducated, knee-jerk reactions.
1.) They do not NEED to charge for updates...no other cell phone does this, but most of them get updates.
2.) It does not cost $10 to process an order...if you believe that it costs $10 to process and order when most of their appstore apps are less than that, you also probably think space aliens shot JFK from the grassy knoll.
3.) These updates come out every year, and they are clearly OS updates. Given this, they are much closer to the service packs of windows; they don't make a new version of windows every year, but they do make about one service pack a year.

2122.12.2009 23:34
Icanbe
Inactive

.

2226.12.2009 5:50

I've had an unlocked 1st gen iPhone w/T-Mobile since they launched. I love it for the apps. The phone itself is sub par. But getting full internet for $5.99 month can't be beat.

It would be nice if they opened up carriers so I wouldn't have to jack around with unlocking it every time they release a new ver.

2326.12.2009 19:08

A major update is like a new OS why not to charge?


They develop it, they kept studying ways to improve your device I think they are allowed to be compensated for their time and work.

Microsoft keeps trying to improve windows and they charge for each "improvement" and so everyone else.

2428.12.2009 1:58

charge for an update, or charged for a new phone, which do you perfer?

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive