Apple, AT&T iPhone exclusivity deal to end on Wednesday?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 25 Jan 2010 1:55 User comments (13)

Apple, AT&T iPhone exclusivity deal to end on Wednesday? If the latest reports are to be believed, Apple and AT&T's iPhone exclusivity pact will end on Wednesday.
Says HotHardware: "According to an inside source close to the going-ons involved in all of this, a new tablet of some sort may not be the only thing on deck for next Wednesday though. We have been led to believe by an inside source that AT&T will lose their iPhone exclusivity on the same day, though it's not yet clear what other carrier (or carriers) will be stepping in to also carry the phone."

The most likely new carrier is Verizon, which is the biggest carrier in the nation. To work on Verizon however, the new iPhone hardware would have to be CDMA compatible.

We will keep you updated.

125.1.2010 7:58

alright! i finally can get rid of my At&t if this comes true!

225.1.2010 8:00

The CDMA providers in Canada have HSPA capabilities, is this not true for the CDMA providers in the states?

325.1.2010 10:15

I hope this is true so at&t wont be bragging about ONE phone on their network the whole time in the commercial wars against verzion which is the better company.

425.1.2010 11:12

I really hope this is true. I'm using T-Mobile on my iPhone right now but their 3G network isn't compatible. If they become one of the new carriers of the phone then hopefully the compatibility issues will be resolved.

525.1.2010 11:21

CDMA and GSM not compatible here.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jan 2010 @ 11:23

625.1.2010 13:57

Originally posted by biglo30:
AT&T advertises their Crackberries and that they have more smartphone options than other providers too.

725.1.2010 15:00

I hope a lot of people jump ship and go to another carrier. Should lighten the load on AT&T's network. Then I don't have to jump ship and go to another carrier. :0)

825.1.2010 15:47

i just don't like how at&t drops my calls all the time, pisses me off. whatever happens to the "fewest drop call" crap they use to have?

925.1.2010 18:15

I believe this. It would explain all the recent going for the throat advertising Verizon been doing against AT&T. They have really beat AT&T down hard on how their 3g network is a joke.

It would seem Verizons current advertising is meant to ramp up the idea that they are the better network for people with iPhones. Why would it be such a big deal if it weren't that Verizon was getting the iphone. I think this is all in preparation for the biggest mass exodus of a single phone carrier in modern history. If this is true about Wed. the last day....2010 will be a VERY bad year for AT&T.

1025.1.2010 18:22

So all of those Iphone users switch to Verizon, which has more coverage but a much less capable 3G network.
So complaints switch from "I can't get on the 3G network" to "This 3G network is SLOOOOOOOOOOO"...

:D

1125.1.2010 18:27

Originally posted by ThePastor:

:D
I thought it was the other way around...

1225.1.2010 23:02

Originally posted by ThePastor:

:D
I thought it was the other way around...
no actually test have been done and AT&T is faster than verizon. But the catch is that is when you can get an actual 3G signal and not the EDGE signal. I was just eating at chili's few minutes ago with full bars on edge signal and my wife was complaint about the long waiting for pictures to load on her iPhone. Now that does piss me off extremely and makes me want to take my iPhone to another carrier but you know what the reality is.........?

1. 3g is suppose to be getting in my area soon (AT&T is really
Working diligently now bc verizon has a knife at their jugular
With all these 3g commercial. When they get all upgrades
Done verizon will have to pull all commercials showing the
Small 3g maps bc it would then be slander and they would
Have to pay millions in lawsuits.

2. Grass isnot always greener on the other side. If I switch to verizon
Now and hen AT&T gets upgrades complete I am stuck with a slower
3g network especially when others leave. AT&T in search of 3g coverage
NOW leading to less data demand on AT&T network.

So what do I decide? Hard choice.

1326.1.2010 8:45

for me its not a hard choice. i just got my phone in october so im stuck with at&t for 2 years. i just hope that if there is a mass jump at&t will only get better. Also I can only assume verizon will be cheaper and if at&t wants to stay competative they will lower there prices too. Mostly there text and minute plans.