LG: 40-inch OLED TVs will be available in 2012

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 01 Feb 2010 16:02 User comments (9)

LG: 40-inch OLED TVs will be available in 2012 TechOn is reporting today that large OLED panels should become available mainstream starting in 2010, with LG Display planning 20-inch displays for this year and 40-inch displays by 2012.
Says VP Won Kim, in charge of OLED Sales & Marketing at the firm: "They may be expensive, but it will be possible to buy a 40-inch class OLED TV in 2012."

OLED displays offer superior quality to LED LCD displays, and can be as thin as a a few millimeters.

The current 15-inch OLED display offered by LG has a contrast ratio of 100,000:1 and "color reproducibility range of 98% of the NTSC standard."

11.2.2010 18:45

Now i have something i can proudly hang up on my wall besides a stuffed fish!! LG tvs are right up there with the big boys, in terms of quality and longetivity. Any takers on how much you think that the 20-inch will be when it releases later this year? I say $1500 sincw the tech is relatively new. - BLUEBOY

21.2.2010 21:15

Originally posted by blueboy09:
New tech or not, if these are going mainstream, releasing a 20" for $1500 would be retail suicide.

31.2.2010 21:43

Originally posted by blueboy09:
IMO, they've always been catching up, but they are still nowhere near the quality of Pioneer. Right now the top 3 are Pioneer, Samsung, Panasonic. Sony & LG are at neck at neck, but lately Sony has been losing it's quality. LG products are a little over-hyped IMO.

That being said, LG will still be behind when they release their 40-in OLED. Mitsubishi already showcased 155-in, and from what I heard Samsung is pretty much almost ready to release their 40-in OLEDs.

41.2.2010 22:16
kubapolak

It is still going to take a while for these type of TVs to be affordable for the average consumer.

52.2.2010 0:55

Oled only save power when not showing white then they use 3 times as much power than showing other colors, also they are dimmer and do not last as long......so meh I will skip Oled stuff.

62.2.2010 14:43

$1500 for a TV? In Obama's economy?

I think not!

75.2.2010 13:34

If not mistaken a 7" went for $5000 last year.

86.2.2010 20:51

I remember Sharp 65" LCD Tvs were $17,000 when they first appeared about 5 years ago. What are they now, about $3,500?

923.6.2011 23:32
newbie12345
Unverified new user

Bhetrick, dont kid yourself. I remember buying a Philips 20" LCD when LCD technology was new for around $1800. Had I known a 20" LCD would be worth $100 today, I probably would have waited. Consumers know what they want. Some people will buy a 20" OLED TV for $1500 and others will wait for the price to drop. With that being said, OLED will be EXPENSIVE when it first comes out. Personally, Ill save my money for a future no glasses needed 3DTV because the jump from 3D LED TV to OLED, isn't much imo.