The Pirate Bay blocked in Italy, a second time

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 08 Feb 2010 14:31 User comments (21)

The Pirate Bay blocked in Italy, a second time After first being blocked in 2008, an Italian court has once again ruled that ISPs in the nation must block access to the infamous torrent tracker The Pirate Bay, leaving millions of users without access to one of the most popular sites on the planet.
In the original case, after an appeal by the Pirate Bay, the Court of Bergamo ruled that foreign websites cannot be blocked over alleged copyright infringement. Fast forward until today and the Supreme Court has ruled that ISPs can indeed be forced to block torrent sites, even if they are foreign-based.

The ruling says any site that offers torrent links to connect to copyrighted material is "engaging in criminal activity," says TF.

Of course there are proxies, and thousands of other smaller sites that are not yet blocked, so it is not as if Italian torrent fans are in complete trouble.

18.2.2010 15:24

leaving millions of users with access to one of the most popular sites on the planet.
methinks should read, leaving millions of users !without! access to one of the most popular sites on the planet.

Way to go silvio, abuse the legal system to protect your own wallet
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Feb 2010 @ 15:27

28.2.2010 15:28

i read that too i was like.. umm lol

38.2.2010 15:51

Typo corrected, now back on topic :P

48.2.2010 18:20

so people still actually use the pirate bay

58.2.2010 22:21

i just use whatever torrentz.com gives me..

69.2.2010 1:01

Says The Pirate Bay to the opposition, "I remember your Gom Jabbar, now you'll remember mine. Try looking into that place you dare block. You'll find me there, staring back at you!"

lol

79.2.2010 4:38

I must be out of touch with things - I thought TPB had been consigned to history after the court reversal and the charade of trying to sell it off to that idiot with no money. Is it still going ?

89.2.2010 9:12

Originally posted by domie:

Yeah, The Pirate Bay is still going and is stronger than ever... though they have no trackers now, they rely solely on other public trackers, DHT and Peer Exchange.

99.2.2010 11:43

Josipher you can use one or the best

demonoid.com

1010.2.2010 3:36

Originally posted by PRCOQUI:
Josipher you can use one or the best

demonoid.com

lol demonoid isnt all that special. Its good for hard to find stuff some of the time but otherwise it doesnt really offer anything thats not available elsewhere.

1110.2.2010 14:21

So, when will they start blocking Google then?...............oh, right.

1210.2.2010 17:52

Italian justice has NOT BLOCKED TPB AGAIN

The supreme court ruled that requiring ISPs to "inhibit" access to TPB is not against the law and sent the trial back to a lower level court. and there we are. this court has not ruled. (at least so far).

this is the reason why, if you read italian websites, they all write in conditional: "eventually could be blocked again"

and, BTW, TPB is obviously still accessible

1311.2.2010 6:13

Originally posted by PRCOQUI:
Josipher you can use one or the best

demonoid.com
Shush, don't tell everybody. We don't want riaa finding out

1412.2.2010 12:31

Originally posted by quinta:
Italian justice has NOT BLOCKED TPB AGAIN

and, BTW, TPB is obviously still accessible

That's bull. I live in Italy, using Telecom Italia as my service provider and The Pirate Bay has been blocked completely. Using a proxy is helpful though.

1512.2.2010 13:20

Milan is the second largest city in Italy and that's not spanish..

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Feb 2010 @ 13:26

1613.2.2010 2:58

Milan is the second largest city in Italy and that's not spanish..

I don't know what your service provider is, but I am using the largest Italian telecompany (Telecom Italia) and they certainly have blocked The Pirate Bay, which is surprising as they're the ones who refused to do it before. I can access TPB via proxy but not without.

1713.2.2010 3:21

I am using Telecom Italia in Milan.

1813.2.2010 7:27

I am using Telecom Italia in Milan.

That's very hard to believe. I've tried both Firefox and Internet Explorer and neither of them allow me to go to Pirate Bay. But I suppose....

1913.2.2010 8:24

I am using Telecom Italia in Milan.

Actually I'm using three different ISPs in two offices and home; just one of them has directed the DNS entry to a fake server with a web page saying that "access to TPB has been inhibited", a long ago, and never rolled back.
The workaround is just using another DNS.

2019.2.2010 15:54

Mussolini would be so proud of our current Italy!

2111.8.2010 5:16
jerrie
Unverified new user

too bad ppl r so stupid nowadays. how can few decide the needs of many? how can few control the masses? this should be public execution GTFO and give them the boot

Latest news

A bug in Chrome allows you to download Netflix movies A bug in Chrome allows you to download Netflix movies (25 Jun 2016 15:21)
A group of security researchers have found a vulnerability in Google's Chrome browser that allows downloading movies straight from Netflix. This is obviously not a feature especially the entertainment ....
Three out of four Netflix customers would rather cancel than watch ads Three out of four Netflix customers would rather cancel than watch ads (25 Jun 2016 14:05)
For a long time Netflix was adamant on its pricing. No changes were made for a long time and everything seemed to be good. The markets obviously reacted and more expensive deals and original ....
Apple Music left in the dust, Spotify at 100 million subscribers Apple Music left in the dust, Spotify at 100 million subscribers (25 Jun 2016 12:01)
Spotify has told The Telegraph that it has surpassed the 100 million mark in subscribers. Paying subscribers was earlier this year reported to have passed 30 million. Apple meanwhile is having ....
Rumor has it that Apple has cancelled iPhone's dual camera Rumor has it that Apple has cancelled iPhone's dual camera (18 Jun 2016 18:05)
The next iPhone will be a major upgrade to current iPhone 6s. This biyearly full upgrade cycle provides us with a bigger upgrade every two years. But how will Apple update its number one product, ....
OnePlus releases new flagship killer, smaller X discontinued OnePlus releases new "flagship killer", smaller X discontinued (18 Jun 2016 16:11)
The small Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus took the world by storm two years ago by releasing a super cheap flagship smartphone. They called it the flagship killer, and it indeed challenged ....