Video Daily: Angry former employee shuts down 100 cars remotely

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 18 Mar 2010 18:56 User comments (14)

Video Daily: Angry former employee shuts down 100 cars remotely Omar Ramos-Lopez, an angry ex-employee of the Texas Auto Center in Austin took out his revenge on his former employer by remotely shutting down 100 cars, using the company's computer system.
After hacking into the vehicle immobilization system, Lopez either deactivated the starters of the cars, or activated the horns, leaving them honking all night.

80 of those affected complained to the company about missing school, work, or of having to get their car towed, or repaired.

The system, run by Pay Technologies (PayTeck) is only supposed to be used if a car owner fails to pay their loan or lease obligations.

Lopez was arrested and charged with breach of computer security.

118.3.2010 20:43
llongtheD

Its just comforting to know that your car can be diabled via a computer. I personally would rather worry about it being stolen, than have this technology in place. And what is up with this idiot? He's mad at his employer, so he takes it out on the customers? I don't get it.

218.3.2010 21:53

Piss off customers will lead to bad word of mouth will lead to less sells.

319.3.2010 0:45

Razor: Remember, hacking is more than just a crime. It's a survival trait.

Good job kid. So why did they fire you?

On the other hand why so stupid to do it from your house?

lol, at changing customer information to "2Pac," etc.

419.3.2010 1:54

Wow if I had known they were putting those in cars I go elsewhere, that just sounds stupid in the first place.

519.3.2010 9:41

Originally posted by TBandit:
This technology is in place to protect the seller, as most of the cars with this tech are used and sold to consumers with poor and/or no credit. It's scary, but I agree that there is risk on both ends now, instead of just risk with the seller.

Unfortunately some d-bag had to go and make this an issue by abusing the system.

619.3.2010 12:41

lol but putting all this aside u gotta admit the idea is pretty funny :P

719.3.2010 13:55

My local news also reported that he ordered $130,000 in parts from the GPS maker and is facing felony charges. What a moron!

820.3.2010 1:21

It is like DRM...for cars!!!

You better pay your bill on time...if you are a day late, your car won't start, and you can't drive to go pay it!

921.3.2010 22:35

imobilizers, are on practially every car int he last few years, nothign new.

1022.3.2010 12:14

There was no hacking envoled. Reporters don't know what hacking means.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Mar 2010 @ 12:16

1125.3.2010 14:35

Originally posted by llongtheD:
Why be surprised you rightly identified him as an idiot. I love the Nisson key-less cars. If you leave your remote near a cell phone when it rings it can clear the access key. There it must be towed to the dealer. You are REAL screwed if this happens on Saturday after the shop closes.

I would rather have my car stolen.

1225.3.2010 22:18

Hilarious. Too bad he wasn't more clever.

1325.3.2010 23:03

lol this is rather funny apart from the fact somebody could have had an accident or had something very important to do. By funny i mean the honking horns ^^

"He's mad at his employer, so he takes it out on the customers? I don't get it."

Yeah lol ever worked in retail, customers and some bosses ain't all that nice =)

1426.3.2010 8:15

Check out the reporter error at 44 seconds. "They can track the car down and start it from stopping."

Start it from stopping?