Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 23 Mar 2010 13:51 User comments (18)

Blockbuster, Warner make deal to offer new movie releases before Netflix, Redbox Blockbuster has announced this morning that it has reached a deal with Warner Bros. to have new Warner releases available for rental day-and-day with release date, and a full 28 days before rivals Redbox and Netflix get them.
The financials of the deal were not released but it is clear that the deal is only for brick-and-mortar stores and online rental and not for Blockbuster's thousands of kiosks.

Blockbuster has almost $900 million in debt, and analysts have given an "ongoing concern" notification for the company, implying bankruptcy may be on the horizon.

The first movie available because of the deal is "The Blind Side," available today for rent.

"The studios appreciate that we are the only business that has the ability to offer cross channels," says CEO James Keyes, via BW. "That enables us to give consumers access to movies when they want it and where they want it."

123.3.2010 15:28

So the whole redbox/netfix thing was just a huge powerplay by the industry and blockbuster.
Color me completely shocked and amazed, I honestly never saw this coming..

223.3.2010 17:45

In new news the MPAA is wondering why piracy rates have gotten even higher on new releases

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Mar 2010 @ 17:58

323.3.2010 19:17

That's weird. I rented The Blind Side on a blockbuster express kiosk today. Are sure this deal isn't applicable to the kiosks as well?

424.3.2010 1:33

spam edited by ddp

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Mar 2010 @ 16:23

524.3.2010 7:35

If I am Netflix I am extrememly pissed. What a slap in the face by Warner.
But as for Blockbuster, this is nothing more than final gasps for air. They will need a lot more than just being the first to have Warners movies to stay afloat.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Mar 2010 @ 7:38

624.3.2010 9:34

Would not be surprised if Paramount/Dreamworks films go the same route, since Viacom owns them and Blockbuster.

lso not surprising, since the studios killed the rental market by making the retail and rental street dates identical upon the advent of DVD. Now they are trying to hedge their bets for the future by protecting Blockbuster and similar brick and mortar chains by imposing these ridiculous time windows on Netflix and Redbox.

Has anyone else noticed a few select movies available on PPV the same date as the retail street date lately? Couples Retreat comes to mind, it was offered via DirecTV when the DVD/Blu-Ray went on sale. Usually they have a 60 day window.

724.3.2010 21:24

This STILL won't make me rent from Blockbuster ever again. And personally i think it's stupid business logic to make the rental leader (Netflix) wait.

Why insult and cut off the the biggest customer turning profit and moving product you have, just to get peanuts from the dying company? Are they seriously that ignorant?

825.3.2010 6:58

Originally posted by jookycola:
Are they seriously that ignorant?
I think this goes beyond ignorance, they're retarded.
My other thoughts are, they know this will lead to increases in piracy, to further justify the evil ACTA.

925.3.2010 9:26

This does NOTHING to make me want to use Blockbuster again. I can easily wait another month for a movie I might like to see. Warner is just hurting themselves with this. They think it will increase sales in the stores, but it's a short-term solution at best, and one I predict will backfire.

Whenever the industry tries to dictate what consumers can have as opposed to listening to the consumer, the industry suffers and then changes to finally deliver what the consumers wanted in the first place.

1025.3.2010 11:31

I left Blockbuster as a customer 2 years ago. They should go broke & shut down forever. If that happened I wouldn't miss them. Oh & long live Netflix!!

1125.3.2010 13:03

But come on... don't be so hard on BBV, we need local B&M branches. They add flavors to our communities, people work there... Okay, i don't remember when was the last time i visited my local BBV. Oh wait, it was out of business last year :(

1225.3.2010 13:44

The Blockbuster near my home closed sometime last year too & I don't miss it. The nearest store to me is about 2 miles away. Not that I hate Blockbuster, it's just that Netflix has lots more older movies available on DVD than Blockbuster did in it's local stores. Honestly I have no need for Blockbuster, not even the online/mail version.....

1326.3.2010 14:40

Just as I suspected, they are in legion. Just got this in my email:

Watch The Blind Side on DIRECTV Cinema 28 days before you can rent it from NETFLIX or REDBOX!

So it's not only BlockBuster that has a play in this game!

1426.3.2010 15:46

Originally posted by SProdigy:
Just as I suspected, they are in legion. Just got this in my email:

So it's not only BlockBuster that has a play in this game!
Yes but is that an exclusive to both Direct TV & Blockbuster? Or can I get it at the same time on InDemand though Comcast?

I guess InDemand does have it available. I found the below text plus the trailer on their web site.

Now Playing
Sandra Bullock, Tim McGraw and Kathy Bates star in this remarkable true story of All-American football star Michael Oher, played by newcomer Quinton Aaron. Now available On Demand the same day as DVD.
Running Time: 2:09
Genre: drama
Rating: PG-13
Cast: Sandra Bullock, Tim McGraw
HD not available in all systems

Here is the link.

Yep it's on InDemand available through Comcast till 8/29/10. Just saw the listing on my cable box.....

1529.3.2010 18:21

I'm with Funkball I sure can wait 1 more month to see a movie and it won't make me go to BadBuster or even to Target to buy the movie, at least until I've rented it from Redbox or Netflix first!

It is poetic justice that BB goes down after they wiped out all of the good independants that use to be around. Hopefully the ma & pa joints will come back to town.

I can remember a couple of years ago when I was supporting Netflix and everyone was hacking on Netflix becuase they thought Block Buster was soooo good, funny how things change for those of you that were in that group huh!

1629.3.2010 19:32

Mr-Movies.
I remeber all the hate the BB fanboys had for Netflix, trying in vain to convince us as much as themselves it was a better deal. We told them then, i tell them today...anything BB is not a good deal.

1730.3.2010 10:36

It isn't as though I would have used blockbuster before...but just for giggles, I'll boycott their products for doing this crap. Maybe I should boycott Warner too...but some of their older movies are still worth a netflix rental.

1830.3.2010 14:44

I'll never go back to Blockbuster!!