AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft starts selling standalone 250GB HDD for Xbox 360

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 23 Mar 2010 12:46 User comments (10)

Microsoft starts selling standalone 250GB HDD for Xbox 360 Microsoft has begun shipping a standalone 250GB HDD for the Xbox 360, giving the drive a $130 USD price tag.
The drive will be available starting on March 28th.

The drive had only been available in Japan and in North America via limited edition bundles such as the Modern Warfare 2 or Final Fantasy bundles.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

123.3.2010 13:02

Too pricey for me.

223.3.2010 15:04

What a joke!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Mar 2010 @ 15:05

323.3.2010 15:43

the apple model is very successful, lock everybody else out and charge an extortionate price

423.3.2010 16:32

Indeed a joke. Must suck to me locked into a 360 if you really need the extra space. Although the PS3 has it's own drawback of all external HDD's being limited to a fat32 partition. But still, you can get a 1.5 TB HDD for maybe just over $100 and throw it in a $30 USB enclosure. Heck, you can buy a 320GB laptop drive for under $70 and throw it in a $10 2.5" USB enclosure.

523.3.2010 17:50

Lol well I had me a 250 hard drive a long time ago, just flash a laptop hard drive that some one gave to me and bought a 360 hard drive enclosure for about 12 on ebay and I was good to go.

Don't waste your money guys, you can make your own for around 50 bucks.

623.3.2010 21:34

Aren't they supposed to open up USB Storage Soon so you can just plug in a big flash drive or USB Hard Drive for your Game Saves and downloaded content?

724.3.2010 4:23

Originally posted by bobiroc:
Aren't they supposed to open up USB Storage Soon so you can just plug in a big flash drive or USB Hard Drive for your Game Saves and downloaded content?
thats what theyre saying, too bad it was also MS that banned any and all non microsoft HDDs for the xbox. so dont get your hopes up

824.3.2010 13:41

Have a WD 250 GB working fine in my 360 atm. And it was $40.

924.3.2010 18:37

Originally posted by biglo30:
Lol well I had me a 250 hard drive a long time ago, just flash a laptop hard drive that some one gave to me and bought a 360 hard drive enclosure for about 12 on ebay and I was good to go.

Don't waste your money guys, you can make your own for around 50 bucks.
Listen to biglo30, I installed a 250GB(at the time was about $60 U.S.) in my PS3 was very easy. It might take another step or two on the 360 but it is definitely not a problem.

1025.3.2010 9:57

Originally posted by Josipher:
Originally posted by bobiroc:
too bad it was also MS that banned any and all non microsoft HDDs for the xbox. so dont get your hopes up
How about posting a link to some proof to that? Because you're completely wrong. No one who has bought/made their own hdd has been banned. MS blocked the 3rd party (Datel) memory cards. They didn't block hdd's.

On Amazon you can get a 250 WD BEVT for $55 w/free ship and on Deal Extreme a new shell (black or gray) for $10.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Mar 2010 @ 9:57

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive