Video Daily: Opera Mini for iPhone application submitted to Apple

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 23 Mar 2010 13:26 User comments (11)

Video Daily: Opera Mini for iPhone application submitted to Apple Opera has submitted their Opera Mini browser for the iPhone today, hoping Apple will approve of the very fast browser which was first unveiled at the Mobile World Congress.
Opera Mini uses Opera's servers to render and compress pages, thus increasing speed for the end user. Apple could still possibly reject the app given that is a "duplication of core iPhone functionality," (Safari Mobile), however it has recently approved WebKit-based browsers.

The video shows off the Opera Mini browser in action, mainly running on AT&T's slower 2G (EDGE) data network, and Mini runs extremely fast. The interface is interesting as well.

123.3.2010 15:28
ukhn99
Unverified new user

Can't wait until Apple approve this, been waiting for it since day one.

223.3.2010 17:08

Originally posted by ukhn99:
Can't wait until Apple approve this, been waiting for it since day one.
HA keep wating buddy crApple will NEVER approve this. They'll prob tell Opera to somehow remove the 'browsing capabilities from the software' before it can be made available on the app store

323.3.2010 17:52

No doubt that apple will tell opera to take a hike.

423.3.2010 18:15

Well if Opera sucks as bad as it does on Windows/Mac who wants it. Bring on Firefox

523.3.2010 19:59

Originally posted by bobiroc:
Please explain to me how it "sucks" on Windows / Mac ??

623.3.2010 21:05

Originally posted by pensfan12:
Originally posted by bobiroc:
Please explain to me how it "sucks" on Windows / Mac ??

Personal Opinion Really. I will admit I haven't used it since a version or two ago but when I did it did not load websites as well or as fast and overall was not as compatible. I have had no reason to try it again since the other browser(s) I use work just fine. Besides if it were so good then why is it at the bottom of browser preference around the world. Sure the European Commission will say that it is because of anti-competitive tactics by the almighty Microsoft yet Firefox and Chrome seem to have no problem being adopted by the web surfers of the world.

723.3.2010 21:18

I do agree Opera sucks on the PC, but when it comes to Smart Phones, it is an awesome browser. Im using it on a Moto Backflip running Droid.

823.3.2010 22:23

That was pretty impressive. But I'm not going to hold my breath. Apple couldn't see a good idea if it pitched a tent in it's A$$.

924.3.2010 0:43

Well i'm almost sure apple will not allow it and if they don't i hope this will come available through cydia

used opera mini on my old phone loved it use it on my HTC Hero and i wouldn't mind having it on my iPod touch

and does anyone know if it supports downloading natively? at least on the iPhone/touch

1024.3.2010 10:21

Yesterday I got Opera Mini for my Sanyo Incognito. ****'s awesome.

1125.3.2010 13:05

OKay, i got to try this Opera on the Touch. Safari is just a pain in the ass (most of the time).