iPhone/iPod Touch game market increasing at expense of PSP, DS

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 24 Mar 2010 18:17 User comments (14)

iPhone/iPod Touch game market increasing at expense of PSP, DS According to analytics site Flurry, the Apple iPod Touch/iPhone continues to see strong growth in the handheld gaming market, taking chunks of market share away from the DS, but more so from the PSP.
Using data from the NPD and Apple, Flurry says that iPhone/Touch games accounted for only 5 percent of the whole portable market in the U.S. in 2008 but that number has grown significantly to 19 percent now. On the declining side, the DS/DSi dropped from 75 percent to 70 percent and the PSP saw a giant drop from 20 percent to 11.

The overall portable gaming market is estimated at $2.55 billion, as of the end of 2009. That leaves iPhone/Touch game revenue accounting for about $500 million in 2009.

"Our main finding is that iPhone (and iPod touch) is a gaming platform to be reckoned with,"
says the site.

124.3.2010 23:01

I'll never buy an iPod Touch, definitely don't see it as a handheld gaming console...

225.3.2010 1:16

Originally posted by Morreale:
i never bought won either, here it seems outrageous to spend 250$ on an 8GB device..but since i won mine at a lottery im perfectly happy with it ^^

325.3.2010 6:12

Just because they have a larger percentage now than last year, this does not mean that they are taking sales from the PSP/DS. If they could make games like Gran Turismo for the iPhone, it might have a chance of taking market share.

425.3.2010 10:06

Originally posted by KillerBug:
well they are working on an unreal tournament 3 version and thats pretty serious stuff ,more so than gran turismo in my opinion

525.3.2010 10:34

Yes, but does that include free games on the iPhone?

625.3.2010 10:44

Are you telling me that a $1 game sells at a higher pace than a $30 game?

That is ludicrous.

725.3.2010 12:49

Hmmm, can they make games like Final Fantasy Crisis Core on the iPhone/Touch? I guess not...

826.3.2010 8:33

Yes, I will superior than any other product is in market right now.

926.3.2010 8:34

Herro

1026.3.2010 15:02

it'd be funny seeing apple at E3 for instance lol

1127.3.2010 0:58

Yeah...so they are working on UT3...who cares? That game is ancient...I think the last major release was made around the time of the PS3 launch! I'm sure it will be terrible, if only because they will strip it to nothing to run on the iPhone hardware.

On top of everything, the iPhone has no buttons...and touchscreen keys just can't take the place of a d-pad...and the d-pad can't take the place of the keyboard/mouse combo that that game was designed for.

At least the game would be "challenging" with those controls!

1227.3.2010 3:56

I'm already playing games on my iPhone 3gs which I seriously think are serious contenders for making my psp go on eBay I have yet to see a psp game compare with nova graphically and with virtual thumb sticks it controls better than any first person shooter on the psp oh gt has got racing competition!!! Psp blows let's face it the hardware ain't all that smartphones have snapdragon processors that leave it in the dust nowadays days where ngage failed iPhone is suceeding mobile gaming is mobile gaming not trying to replicate the ps3 which some want obviously but it's for quick fixes during day to day lifestyles!!

1327.3.2010 10:54

Originally posted by KillerBug:

At least the game would be "challenging" with those controls!
i agree with you on one thing..the controls. i find it peculiar that apple hasnt released any bluetooth enabled controller that you could just attach to the ipod/iphone itself. youy just attach an analog on the left side (while holding in landscape) and 4 buttons on the right side, that way the touch interface is a bonus and not a drawback.
dont get me wrong here mate i hate apple and i hate the hassle i have to go through with itunes simply to add apps and songs.. i doidnt pay for my ipod i won it. but as far as gaming and usefullnes it has its perks (unlike most apple products which are just overrated crap) and its definitely worth noticing as a portable gaming device

1429.3.2010 5:33

Apple will eventually bring themselves down with their ludicrous pricing. Nintendo so far (given a few errors) nailed it with the DS and Wii.

To say the iPhone is competing is rather silly. Besides, no parent is gonna spend that much cash on a Apple hand held for a kid.