Zune HD firmware 4.5 'coming soon' with SmartDJ, Xvid support

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 30 Mar 2010 23:02 User comments (9)

Zune HD firmware 4.5 'coming soon' with SmartDJ, Xvid support Zune HD users should be pretty happy to hear that firmware v4.5, first leaked in January, is "coming soon," and will bring native XviD support to the device as well as streaming Smart DJ.
Microsoft says the player will soon have native support for the MPEG-4 Part 2 ASP codec, and the player will playback XviD videos, which is still the codec of choice for most videos downloaded online. The format will play via your HDTV as well if you own the Zune HD Dock.

Smart DJ playlists, a "Genius"-esque song playlist creator, will also be available on the player and not just the desktop software.

If you are connected via Wi-Fi you will be able to to create Smart DJ playlists that incorporate streamed content from the Zune Marketplace, besides the songs already stored on the player.

Video via Engadget:

131.3.2010 0:08

no suprise no one has commented on this =\

231.3.2010 2:18
ukhn99
Unverified new user

What you mean no surprise no one posted, you posted on this. lol.

331.3.2010 4:28

Silly me, I figured it already had Xvid support...how could it not? I take it this means it also has no MKV or FLAC support?

431.3.2010 9:09

Originally posted by ukhn99:
What you mean no surprise no one posted, you posted on this. lol.
i meant other than me considering the how long ago it was posted..
no true intrest in the zune from afterdawn community

531.3.2010 10:28

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Apple products will never have Xvid, so...advantage, Zune :p

631.3.2010 11:00
zuneaddict
Unverified new user

I just want to say the zune is so much better than the Ipod touch!!!! This is like buying a car, some zune lovers will never buy a Mac product and there i include myself. We are PC!!!!

731.3.2010 12:37

Originally posted by KillerBug:
I don't think there are a lot of players that have MKV support yet.Not even the mighty PS3. Most of the players that can play H.264 support it in MP4 or MOV container.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 31 Mar 2010 @ 12:40

831.3.2010 13:00

I kinda wanted one of these but didn't like the look of the few places that sell them in the UK. Couldn't be happier with my 32GB Samsung YP-P3 though. At 150 I can't not recommend them. The quality of the screen is awesome, the sound is brilliant and the video playback is superb! Shame it only has a few games which are noticeably Korean though.

91.4.2010 3:55

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Originally posted by KillerBug:
Apple products will never have Xvid, so...advantage, Zune :p
I know the Microsoft product was better than the Apple product...that is why I expected that it would support these common, open-source formats. I guess it isn't that much better.

Me? I'll just use my Droid for a media player...it is bad enough that I have to carry that plus a camera, I certainly don't want to carry a media player too.