Opera Mini tops all of Apple's top app charts

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 15 Apr 2010 0:25 User comments (15)

Opera Mini tops all of Apple's top app charts Submitted last month and accepted just yesterday by Apple, the Opera Mini 5 application is now at the head of all "Top Apps" lists, from every country in which the App Store is available.
There are over 50 million Opera Mini users globally.

Opera Mini uses Opera's servers to render and compress pages, thus increasing speed for the end user, and also working around Apple's stringent rules.

The company says users of the iPhone over AT&T's slower 2G Edge data will definitely feel the "uptake in speed."

Whether all the downloads are just a curiosity or proof that iPhone/iPod Touch users are looking for choice within their hardware remains to be seen, but it seems pretty clear that Opera will be gaining a significant amount of users.

Pic via Engadget

115.4.2010 1:36

I'm not sure what the hype is about. I've tried this browser, and it is not good at all. It is actually slower than Safari on 3G and wifi.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Apr 2010 @ 1:37

215.4.2010 3:27

I don't know what's wrong with your device but when I use opera on edge network it loads maybe 15x faster then safari ever loaded. Usually when I'm on the go it would take forever for safari to load pages from ign.com but opera literally loads in a few seconds.. and with wifi there literally is no wait time.

The only problem with this app is the pinch zoom... I really don't like it, but other than that its solid and does it's job exactly as advertised.

315.4.2010 4:29
Belaward

SPAM removed

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Apr 2010 @ 8:29

415.4.2010 6:50
Annoyed447

"Opera Mini tops all of Apple's top app charts". No it is not ! Not in the US or UK. Not even close.

515.4.2010 9:55

Opera is fast for me but the pinching to zoom feature doesn't work.

And what suck is that when using the QuickTime player, it opens via Safari so although Apple signed it and allowed it onto the App store, they won't let us use it as the default browser...

615.4.2010 10:24

Hmmm, i need this, Safari is too slow. Is the Opera app free? I have some googling to do, thanks for the article.

715.4.2010 10:46

Originally posted by Annoyed447:
It was the top of the U.S. top free chart (downloaded for my Touch last night before writing the article) as of writing. It may be different this morning.

815.4.2010 13:00

This browser is awesome sure the pinch zoom is kinda funky but with time I will get used to it. No more Safari because loading time was horrible and no more checker board when scrolling down.

915.4.2010 13:10

Originally posted by TypeRice:
Oh, i so hate the checker board... gonna give this a try!

1015.4.2010 15:57

Not really a fan of proxy web viewers...
It's faster on edge because it's a proxy viewer and not direct to the net.

1115.4.2010 16:38
bazjf

spam edited by ddp

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Apr 2010 @ 22:24

1215.4.2010 17:12

Originally posted by Gnawnivek:
App is completely free... For now anyway, so I'd say download now because prices change all the time on the App store.

1315.4.2010 17:38

Originally posted by kikzm33z:
Opera is fast for me but the pinching to zoom feature doesn't work.

I thought the neat trick was that you just tap to zoom - so why do you need pinch to zoom

1415.4.2010 18:01

Originally posted by gbswales:
Originally posted by kikzm33z:
Opera is fast for me but the pinching to zoom feature doesn't work.

It's not precise.
There's only 2 fixed sizes and that's the zoomed out once which is useless because words become useless and the zoomed in one could be too close in so whole passages of text could be hard to read.
I think that the pinch to zoom feature in Safari is a lot more convenient.

1517.4.2010 7:19

It's really unfortunate that the features that improve Opera Mini's speed (unencrypted server-side processing) also create the biggest vulnerability for use of this app in health care.

As many electronic medical records are now web-based, passing private health information around with a lack of end-to-end encryption is frowned upon by HIPAA regulations. Essentially, Opera can see/cache/log everything you do while using the Opera Mini Browser app, including every single medical record viewed through the Opera Mini app on an iPhone or iPad since Tuesday.