New Apple TV will cost $99 and run on iPhone OS 4?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 30 May 2010 23:52 User comments (12)

New Apple TV will cost $99 and run on iPhone OS 4? According to new rumors circulating the Internet, the upcoming updated Apple TV will cost just $99 USD and run on the iPhone OS 4. The device will also run on an A4 processor.
The current model Apple TV, which can be considered a flop by Apple standards, sells for $229.

The new rumors suggest that Apple sees a need to update their device as Google prepares to release their Google TV web content-to-TV delivery system in the next few months.

Originally, the rumor came from Engadget which cited a "source very close to Apple" in saying the upcoming set-top box will have 16GB of flash storage and "be capable of full 1080p HD."

Apple TV can display YouTube videos, images from iPhoto and Flickr, and gets its video content from iTunes, in SD and HD quality. The current model however, has a 160GB HDD.

While the iPhone 0S 4 can multi-task and will use Apple's new mobile advertising platform, most critics will point out that Apple does not allow native support of Adobe Flash, the standard used by most of the Internet. Google TV will have Flash 10.1 built-in, allowing for playback of popular sites such as Hulu on the TV.

131.5.2010 11:14

In addition to the problems listed, Apple TV has one huge issue...it isn't a TV! It is just a media center, but without bluray or netflix support...that is why they dropped the memory down to 10% of what it was; without content, there is no need for storage.

231.5.2010 11:30

lol apple numbskulls..heres an update for yah : were gunna give it a new name and decrease the memory capacity by 90% :)
thats crapple for ya lol

331.5.2010 12:08

Originally posted by Josipher:
thats crapple for ya lol
There we go. Apple want a monopoly on everything, but it's just not going to happen.

sure, they have their flock of sheep, but most people are too smart to see the dumb crap they try sell to us.

431.5.2010 15:28

there no need for stroage becuase they want the users to stream everythign from itunes. its a new business model, and tbh one that suites a TV. its the same really asgoogle TV. there is no need to physical hardware such as DVDs nor conflicting rival streamers.

its wholey for the apple economy.

531.5.2010 16:29

google tv combines cable tv and the internet and will has flash so you will be able stream tv shows from sites like Hulu. And Apple's new business model is the same that it has always been. They charge you for what other's provide for free and call it magical. Come to think of it, I guess it kinda is.

631.5.2010 22:49

Originally posted by shaffaaf:

its wholey for the apple economy.
Too bad Steve Jobs thinks it is the year 2020, and we all have 100% fast and reliable internet...if he realized that it was only 2010, he would not be trying to kill flash and switching devices to "apple streaming only" functionality.

Official Apple policy for dealing with Steve:
"The King is naked, but be sure to complement his new clothes."

71.6.2010 5:16

I dont know. I would certainly be interested in a $99 1080p media player with 16gb of storage and throw on xbmc. I think it would be a nice bedroom addition but I will wait until its released. As for google tv, again I will have to wait and see the physical device.
Right now I am using a asrock 330 with W7 and xbmc with launcher for browsers and games. It is the business. I can't see it getting replaced.

81.6.2010 5:25

Originally posted by chrizfitz:
XBMC on an apple device? Why not just ask for flash support and open source software?

91.6.2010 5:50

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Originally posted by chrizfitz:
Let me google that for you:

101.6.2010 9:54

That only works with OSX; not with iPhoneOS.

111.6.2010 10:56

Yeah...until our infrastructure improves, mostly only metropolitan areas will benefit from streaming devices. I only live about 30 mi away from the middle of a major metropolitan area and best I can get is 512k DSL. I can't even watch a Youtube video without the family in the house yelling that their online stuff isn't working.

121.6.2010 12:57

I have "fast" internet as I live in the city...30bmps (I know some people get faster internet, but it is still faster than most). Still, peak hours are slow hours...and outages are frequent. Netflix often reverts to lower quality streaming because I am gaming or downloading files too; I'm sure the apple video store would do the same (assuming I found something worth watching in their tiny selection). I can accept the limitations of netflix streaming only because I also get the physical disks...if it was just streaming, I would have a hard time spending the money.

IguanaC64 - Sorry to hear that...a "3G" cell phone can get 4x that speed in my area...and it is still painfully slow. If you have no 3G coverage, have you considered satelite? The only downside is that the upstream is still DSL...but at least the downstream is a lot faster.