E3 2010: PlayStation Plus premium PSN access revealed, 50 million PSN accounts

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 15 Jun 2010 18:35 User comments (11)

E3 2010: PlayStation Plus premium PSN access revealed, 50 million PSN accounts Sony revealed details on Tuesday about a premium subscription service package for the PlayStation Network, called PlayStation Plus. The company also revealed that there are now 50 million PSN accounts in 58 different countries, making the PS3 the most connected games console in the world.
Users of PSN will be able to pay a fee for access to exclusive content and functionality. Sony stressed however that the existing elements of PSN would remain free, including multi-player gaming.

Three months subscription will cost 17.99 while a full year subscription costs $49.99. For the fee, a user will be able to include full access to certain PS3 downloadable content and PSN titles, such as the PSone archives and Minis, and be able to play them for as long as the PlayStation Plus membership is valid. Some games will only be playable for a certain amount of time on a trial basis before needing to be purchased.

An extra feature that PlayStation Plus provides is the ability to schedule the PS3 console to switch on and automatically retrieve demos, patches or updates at certain times.

215.6.2010 20:08

the PS3 the most connected games console in the world.
coz it's free

Ahem "otherOS" anyone

315.6.2010 20:28

I'm not convinced the PS3 is the "most connected" games console in the world. I've tried both the PS3 and Xbox Live online play, and I much prefer XBLive than PS3. Cross-game chat, Xbox Live Parties, 1 vs. 100 etc. all things I really enjoy on the XB.

I appreciate that others may think differently however :))))

415.6.2010 21:14

Originally posted by Mik3h:
Because you have no local personal life??? ;-) Just kidding, of course!

515.6.2010 21:41

Originally posted by Mik3h:
I agree with Mik3h on the "most connected" thing. PSN is free and anyone can create multiple accounts.

If only one PSN account was counted per console that has one I'd bet the numbers are a lot closer to, if not less than, XBL.

615.6.2010 22:49

Originally posted by Pop_Smith:
Originally posted by Mik3h:

I've got 16 accounts on there, and about a dozen more that I can't fit...I would never do that if I had to pay for every account.

716.6.2010 4:03

Maybe they can improve other games connections as well

816.6.2010 11:24

It's the most connected because almost every PS3 owner has like 3-4 accounts on it.
It's not about which is the better service, it's the fact there are more registered on the accounts on PSN than Live.

Also, please STFU about OtherOS. It's becoming more of a fanboy's excuse than an actual problem for OtherOS users.
You're not getting OtherOS unless Sony re-adds so please move on with your life.

916.6.2010 20:14

I love how you can nicely ask someone to STFU...lol Its an opinion which is what this comment section is for relax a little.

1016.6.2010 23:38

Originally posted by kikzm33z:

It isn't over, it is just getting started. Sony has been hit with dozens of lawsuits from all over the world, you will hear a lot more of this.

1118.6.2010 12:24

Man this sucks. The reason why many ppl buy "downloadable content" on the ps3 is because they have the money to since they dnt have to pay for sumthing like this. I have 6 accounts on my ps3. I'm not sold on this because its so bad. "a user will be able to include full access to certain PS3 downloadable content and PSN titles, such as the PSone archives and Minis, and be able to play them for as long as the PlayStation Plus membership is valid. Some games will only be playable for a certain amount of time on a trial basis before needing to be purchased." does tht mean tht sum ppl may be able to like buy an add on and unsubscribers not? or is tht like preium themes and demos and stuff?