More adults are texting and driving than teens are

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 18 Jun 2010 22:49 User comments (11)

More adults are texting and driving than teens are According to a new study by the Pew Research Center, adults are more likely than teenagers to text while driving, with 47 percent of respondents saying they either send or read messages while at the wheel of a vehicle.
That shockingly high number compares with 34 percent of teens doing the same thing. Pew considers teens as minors aged 16 and 17.

Says Mary Madden, senior research specialist at Pew: "There's been a lot of focus on young drivers, and for good reasons. But this research provides an important reminder that adults are setting a bad example."

The U.S. Senate is currently voting on banning texting as a federal mandate, and 28 states already ban the practice. Seven states have banned all mobile phone use while driving.

Pew also says that focus groups have shown that younger children have seen older siblings and their parents texting while driving, and see it as "okay" to do, as well.

The industry as a whole is moving to discourage use of mobile phones while driving, with the CTIA wireless trade group, the National Safety Council, and large carriers Verizon and AT&T starting ad campaigns.

The survey was conducted on 2252 American adults earlier this year.

Topics Phones

Related news

118.6.2010 23:56

I text from the car all the time...what else are you to do at a 5-minute long stoplight?

219.6.2010 4:37

I was just discussing this with my boss the other day.
The problem isn't people who text and drive, the problem is people who don't know how to safely and efficiently multitask while they drive. I personally am perfectly capable of taking a minute or two to text someone while I'm driving and still keep 95% of my attention on the road around me. This was especially true when I used to have to type out my messages using t9word compared to now where I have a full keyboard on my damn phone. I'd say currently it takes me 4-5 times longer to type out a mid-sized text while driving than it normally does.. because I'm being smart about it. The point here is that if you take the majority of your focus off of driving you're a #*$&ing moron, but if you do things safe it's a non-issue.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Jun 2010 @ 4:38

319.6.2010 5:56

for starters there are more adults driving than teens.the other thing that springs to mind is 10years ago it wasnt illegal.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

419.6.2010 6:00

BTW...who actually texts anymore? I mean, why not just say it? The keyboard on my droid is for tricky web addresses and typing commands into the terminal; that is about all I use it for. Everything else I do with voice recognition.

519.6.2010 10:04

yea, my HTC EVO does the same thing, all you have to do is say it, and it does the typing for you.

619.6.2010 12:06

Originally posted by KillerBug:
i can agree with that myself stop at lights and text! yeh

Originally posted by hikaricor:
I was just discussing this with my boss the other day.
95% of road traffic accidents is down to human error!
while i would agree with texting while stopped
It would be next to impossible to do it while going through the city centre ect..
without nearly been in a crash/accident or causing 1

ALL INFO FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE ONLY

HOOTER007

719.6.2010 12:23
bobshell

Originally posted by hooter007:
Originally posted by KillerBug:
i can agree with that myself stop at lights and text! yeh

Originally posted by hikaricor:
I was just discussing this with my boss the other day.
95% of road traffic accidents is down to human error!
while i would agree with texting while stopped
without nearly been in a crash/accident or causing 1
I think people should concentrate on driving and nothing else.

819.6.2010 13:14

Originally posted by hooter007:

95% of road traffic accidents is down to human error!
while i would agree with texting while stopped
without nearly been in a crash/accident or causing 1
Considering I never drive in large cities this is a non issue with me.
Most of my driving is done on state and interstate highways.
My point still stands if people are capable of proper multitasking this is a non-issue.
If a person doesn't feel like they're able to drive and do something else they shouldn't be doing it to begin with.

920.6.2010 0:03

Parents should be leading by example on this public safety issue. I decided to do something about teen (and adult) distracted driving after my three year old daughter was nearly run down right in front of me last fall by a texting driver. That incident changed me but I dont hate texting. Texting is here regardless of how I feel. 72% of teens text every single day - some over 3000 times a month. The texting drivers I spoke with, including teens and truckers, all said that laws and Big Brother type software devices that "lock down" their phones would not deter them at all. So I built a tool called OTTER to compliment the efforts of legislation and public education. OTTER helps the individual manage their texting at home, in school, in the office, or, most importantly, on our highways.

In response to the epidemic of teen texting and driving, we started our Break the Habit Campaign (http://BTHnow.org ) to raise awareness of this problem thereby educating us all of the dangers. Did you know that 50% of teens interviewed admitted to texting while driving? If 50% admitted to it...how many are actually doing it?

Best,
Erik Wood, owner
OTTER LLC

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Jun 2010 @ 0:06

1024.6.2010 6:17

They say that 40% of all accidents are related to alcohol or drugs...that means that 60% of all accidents are caused be people who are completely sober, and simply can't drive...or they don't care enough to pay attention.

I like Germany's driving laws...the law makes you focus on the road, the law makes you drive in the slow lane when you are going slow, the law makes the roads some of the safest in the world, and the law lets you drive as fast as you want...so you don't get so complacent that you start trying to type on a touchscreen while driving. It hasn't been that long since the days when cupholders were virtually unheard of in Germany...cars are for driving, not for enjoying a meal at 180MPH.

1124.6.2010 16:25

What is wrong with people? Why is this even an issue? Shouldn't we all know better than this? Some people don't even see where they are walking because they have their face buried in their phone. I am very glad to hear that your daughter wasn't harmed Mr Wood. The shame is that there are other families who haven't been as fortunate. I wish you Godspeed in your endeavor to raise awareness of this issue.