DoS attacks hits Turkish authorities in censorship row

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 19 Jun 2010 22:40 User comments (6)

DoS attacks hits Turkish authorities in censorship row Many Turkish Internet users are very unhappy with the growing level of censorship online, particularly when it comes to the blocking of Google services. Earlier this month, services such as Google Translate, Google Docs and Google Books became inaccessible in Turkey following a request that Turkish ISPs block access to IP addresses associated with YouTube.
On Thursday, an Ankara Public Prosecutor asked Ankara's 1st Criminal Court of Peace to add 44 more IP addresses related to YouTube and Google, and after the court complied, users started complaining that Picasa and Google Maps had become impossible to use with more Google services malfunctioning.

As a response to the actions taken by Tuskish authorities, a group of hackers has been blamed for the inaccessibility of the websites of the Ministry of Transportation, the Information and Communication Technologies Authority and the Telecommunications Communication Presidency.

The group reportedly carried out a 10 hour denial of service attack on the websites of the three departments, all of which are responsible for Internet censorship actions. Such censorship is becoming more common in some countries, with YouTube being a constant target of such action because of user-uploaded content deemed "offensive" or dangerous by governments.

119.6.2010 23:57

Ra ra ree, kick em in the knee;
Ra ra rass kickem in the ...OTHER knee!

Censorship is lame. People need to get over themselves and be more open minded.

Just my two cents though, take it or leave it.

220.6.2010 9:01

It should not surprise anyone that Turkey, which has abandoned the example set by Attaturk and embraced a nasty slide into mohammedan bigotry, is now an unfree state with a smirking face to reassure the credulous EU that they are in fact a happy, Obama style Democracy.
Good luck and may God be with the Turkey that I new in the recent past.

320.6.2010 10:10
emtunc

mohammedan bigotry?
You my friend, are an ignorant fool.
The more I hear from people like you, the more sickened I feel of how, simply put, stupid you and your ideologies are.

420.6.2010 11:29

Originally posted by emtunc:
mohammedan bigotry?
You my friend, are an ignorant fool.
I guess I'm a fool also, I stand by what attar said and add one small fact he failed to cite: Turkey is a NATO nation-scary.

521.6.2010 5:08

hmmmmmmmmmmmp!

61.8.2010 19:07
IamAWESOME
Unverified new user

Look I'm a Turk, and I'm an American and do you see me with wide eyes, praising to George Washington. On YouTube or google, wherever you are, they will make fun of different people. Turkey is doing do many unnecessary banning . No one the EU union doesn't want Turkey. Turkey's gotta open their eyes and realize the stupid mistakes they are making.