HTC EVO 4G Android 2.2 rollout starting tomorrow

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 30 Jul 2010 0:47 User comments (10)

HTC EVO 4G Android 2.2 rollout starting tomorrow Sprint has confirmed today that the Android 2.2 software update will begin hitting HTC EVO 4G smartphones tomorrow, with a full rollout expected August 3rd.
While 2.2 will come with all the standard updates, Sprint says the EVO will also get improved "camera-focused features with better 720p video and options to use the flash as a flashlight or as a focus assist for movies."

Additionally, the update will add new widgets for the calculator, FM radio, messages lists and settings.

It is unclear how long the full deployment will take.

130.7.2010 2:36

"Furthermore, 2.2 will close the exploit that allowed users to run free Wi-Fi hotspots after they rooted their device."

Something tells me that we will see custom kernels to bring this back really quick; wifi tethering is still free on rooted 2.2

230.7.2010 6:31

So 'rooted' is the android equivelent of jailbreaking I take it?

330.7.2010 8:09

In essence, yes...it does not look or act the same, but the goal is the same.

430.7.2010 11:10

Nice, i guess i will update my tomorrow.

530.7.2010 13:56

my advice is to root and download a custom rom (like cyanogenmod)
and with the release of the official there will be full custom roms soon (for 2.2) they already have tons of full 2.1 roms

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Jul 2010 @ 13:57

630.7.2010 18:15

I had thought that WiFi tethering was a built in part of Froyo.
Crap... was kinda looking forward to this.

Guess I have to join the Custom rom crowd too...
It's too bad, because HTC's UI is pretty decent and I was planning on sticking with it for a while.

731.7.2010 8:09

Once you get 2.2 with smoked glass, you will quickly forget that ugly HTC UI.

831.7.2010 10:58

That's crazy talk my friend nothing beat the sense UI... Got froyo on my EVO last night on leakfrom htc, tether works for free.

931.7.2010 20:59

For the rooted question:

To gain root meant to gain system access. You can basically do whatever you want with the phone, delete system files, add system files, add a custom recovery and of course add a custom ROM.

101.8.2010 23:37

Originally posted by i1der:
To each his own I guess; I much prefer the new Launcher with smoked glass to the HTC UI...it looks so 2009!