iSuppli: DRAM shortage likely coming

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 11 Aug 2010 13:35 User comments (5)

iSuppli: DRAM shortage likely coming According to research firm iSuppli, the DRAM market could see a significant supply shortage in the Q3 2010 due to "limited manufacturing equipment availability" and other challenges.
Says the company (via Barrons):

"A commodity profoundly susceptible to the variable dynamics of supply and demand, DRAM is expected to ship 15.9 million 1Gbit-equivalent units in 2010, up 48.6% from 10.7 million units last year."

"Most of the year’s growth is forecasted to occur in the second half of the year, with each of the final two quarters of 2010 expected to post sequential bit growth of approximately 11%. In comparison, bit growth in the first two quarters of 2010 topped out at far below the 10% mark. Such high levels of growth, concentrated in a six-month period, will strain the production capabilities of DRAM suppliers."

Mike Howard, senior analyst for DRAM at iSuppli also adds that two major factors should lead the market into a supply shortage, with the first being limited tooling equipment, especially from ASML Holding. The second is the challenges for manufacturers migrating to below 50 nm.

111.8.2010 21:31

will this affect RAM or SSDs?

212.8.2010 2:06

Originally posted by shaffaaf:
will this affect RAM or SSDs?
DRAM kinda gave it away, as one would hope SSD's aren't made outta the stuff that flushes Data upon power outages.

if the reports are true DDR3,4 and 5 are going to become expensive, making ram modules more expensive, along with the already outrages GFX prices.

Powered By

312.8.2010 4:41

I've already seen the price effect of this I guess. I bought 2GB of DDR2 RAM in January 2009 for ~$50. That exact same model by Corsair is now $70-$80. I guess I better go buy the other 2GB I've been planning on getting for a while, unless I have some guarantee prices will drop by the end of the year.

412.8.2010 15:04

Originally posted by rvinkebob:
DDR2 price got jacked 30 dollars when DDR3 came out, i guess they think jacking the slightly older modules price up when the new on comes out is going to make us buy a new motherboard to save $30 bucks.

Powered By

513.8.2010 1:57

Ahhh crap, I was gonna upgrade my ram soon. Better get on that before the prices get even worst.