Verizon trials fiber-optic network that hits 1Gbit/sec

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 18 Aug 2010 2:04 User comments (4)

Verizon trials fiber-optic network that hits 1Gbit/sec Verizon has reported the results of a fiber-optic network trial they held in June for one lucky customer in Massachusetts, and it appears the customer received almost 1Gbit/sec speeds.
CW says "the customer received 925Mbit/sec. throughput to a server at its business location from a Verizon central office less than two miles away."

Speeds as high as 800Mbit/sec were achieved for servers 400 miles away.

Earlier in the year, Google said it wanted to experiment with a 1Gbit fiber connection trial for up to 500,000 lucky customers in a community. 1,100 communities submitted bids, with one city even temporarily changing its name to "Google." Google says it will pick a location by the end of the year.

When asked about the Google network, Verizon said: "We are not competing with things [Google is] planning. They may be thinking about competing with things we already have. We have the network in place today."

Verizon's GPON platform can hit downstream speeds of 2.4Gbit/sec and upstream speeds of 1.2Gbit/sec.

118.8.2010 2:25

1Gbit home internet? I am drooling on my keyboard!

218.8.2010 10:07

Its been available for years; just not through local ISP providers as it always cost a lot of $ to install optic into your home, and monthly bills were $100+ but you could do it. I find it funny how they talk about Net Neutrality and bandwidth hog and yet companies want faster and faster. Bandwidth doesn't really bog down the net no more and if it really could, faster speeds would then represent quicker times to get bogged down.

The more I read up on this, the more it makes me sick cause corporations are just going to use this to make excuses to keep over charging on bandwidth usage, rather than playing fair with the consumers. I agree faster would be nice, but in all honesty with bandwidth caps decreasing or have unfair high fees for unlimited or high caps, it's just not gonna be worth the value of most consumers $.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Aug 2010 @ 10:09

318.8.2010 12:57

also remember its only going to one guy,if such where the case you could push a gigabit threw a standard coaxial cable.

lets see what happens when fios meets the world because the obvious house selection by verizon isn't getting them customers.

420.8.2010 20:53

Originally posted by DXR88:

I do not understand what you mean

I understand the one guy part but I believe they chose the one guy as a test and not as a look what I can do thing

The lets see what happens when fios meets the world part I dont really understand