Apple wants to be able to kill off Jailbroken devices

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 22 Aug 2010 23:29 User comments (23)

Apple wants to be able to kill off Jailbroken devices Although it was recently judged to be a legal process, Apple still doesn't want anyone to jailbreak their "i" devices, and has applied for a patent that would give them the right to "kill" jailbroken devices, as well as "kill" stolen iPods and phones.
The patent is titled "Systems and Methods for Identifying Unauthorized Users of an Electronic Device," and it covers a number of security measures to "protect" devices from "unauthorized users."

Those unauthorized users are jailbreakers and those that have stolen devices from other legit owners.

The patent was filed in February 2009, and was just published this week. The application will help Apple identify "particular activities that may indicate suspicious behavior," so that Apple can restrict those devices. Suspicious activities include "hacking, jailbreaking, unlocking, or removal of a SIM card."

Reads the application (via CNET):

In some embodiments, an unauthorized user can be detected by comparing the identity of the current user to the identities of authorized users of the electronic device. For example, a photograph of the current user can be taken, a recording of the current user's voice can be recorded, the heartbeat of the current user can be recorded, or any combination of the above. The photograph, recording, or heartbeat can be compared, respectively, to a photograph, recording, or heartbeat of authorized users of the electronic device to determine whether they match. If they do not match, the current user can be detected as an unauthorized user.
When unauthorized use has been detected, "access to particular applications can be restricted, access to sensitive information can be restricted, sensitive information can be erased from the electronic device...," the application states, effectively wiping and bricking the device.

122.8.2010 23:37

that apple logo has become insufferably obnoxious to me. 1984!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Aug 2010 @ 23:38

223.8.2010 1:02

three words : F*** You apple

323.8.2010 1:27

"Suspicious activities include "hacking, jailbreaking, unlocking, or removal of a SIM card."

I don't see how Jailbreaking is suspicious when it is the only way to prevent the browser security holes from jailbreaking without your permission.

All well, I don't even care anymore. If people want to keep buying 'i' devices, they deserve what they get...a piece of rotting fruit that someone already took a bite out of.

423.8.2010 2:15

If they do this I will sell my ipod touch and never look back.

523.8.2010 4:46

I like these ones,

Originally posted by toked:
that apple logo has become insufferably obnoxious to me. 1984!
Originally posted by Hyasuma:
three words : F*** You apple
Originally posted by bam431:
If they do this I will sell my ipod touch and never look back.

but this one is special, hehe:

Originally posted by KillerBug:
"Suspicious activities include [..] removal of a SIM card."

People were just stupid to buy Apple products in the past, like for the batteries that would go dead and then it would cost them more to replace them, than the cost of the new battery (or even the cost of the whole device, lol). Now-a-days it's more of a matter of principle: why would you want anything Apple?

Anyway, it's good that they're doing this. Their marketing team is thinking they are creating 31337 devices, even creating a sort-of-a-cult. In reality they are actually cutting-down their fan-base. People that have bought Apple in the past are more and more sure of never getting their products again (because of the piled-up problems, with virtually any-and-every Apple product ever released). This is directly limiting their sales to new consumers, only.

The problem is, that "there's a sucker born every minute." :)

So they stay in business; for now at least.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Aug 2010 @ 4:49

623.8.2010 9:04

Removal of SIM? I'm not an AppleJockey, but I remove my SIM from my phone and use it in my girlfriends whenever my battery dies. Does this mean I'm participating in suspicious activity?

723.8.2010 10:16

Looks like typical Apple dogma. If you don't want to play by Steve's rules, he'll take away his toys... YOUR ICRAP.

823.8.2010 10:51

Thats the main reason why I hate apple, they always think they know what the consumer wants and whatever they say is always right. I wish some of these dummies who buy apple products open their eyes soon and start reading about these things before jumping up and buying them like zombies.

923.8.2010 13:04

Jailbreaking can switch off Apple's killswitch so I'm pretty confident that the Dev Team can bypass whatever crap Apple is pulling of their ass.

1023.8.2010 13:10

This is typical Apple business practices.

I remember when the Ipods first came out, if your battery died you would have to buy a whole new Ipod as they claim the batteries were not replaceable. That is, until they got sued by pissed off customers and were forced to replace the batteries.
Which also proved they lied.

So this doesn't surprise me.

1123.8.2010 14:11

Originally posted by toked:
that apple logo has become insufferably obnoxious to me. 1984!
Reminds me of this series

1223.8.2010 14:34

Apple said, "Think differently". Well then, whats wrong with ihack?

1323.8.2010 15:25

Apple is really becoming dicks aren't they?

1423.8.2010 16:01

I personally can't see this happening anyway. Remember the whole fuss that people kicked up about the loss of functionality with xbox 360 consoles when they got banned? Microsoft where effectively forced to sort it out with the next firmware update. It's the same kind of principal.

If apple start bricking idevices because of jailbreaks and hack software, shit is gonna go down... >.<

1523.8.2010 17:47

ihack? is that a new cough syrup?
LOL

1624.8.2010 0:16

Originally posted by SisterGra:
Apple said, "Think differently". Well then, whats wrong with ihack?
When they said that, they were thinking clearly and logically; and then they started thinking differently.

1724.8.2010 11:00

Funny thing is I heard from people that Steve Job iphone is also jailbroken. Its sooo ironic. lol

1824.8.2010 19:35

Man I hate Apple. I don't own any devices that are "jail-broken"...well aside from an old PS1, but I firmly believe that if you buy a device or product, then you should be able to do whatever you want to do with it. Obviously, I don't expect the warranty to still be valid, but YOU own the device, not Apple!!!

1925.8.2010 0:11

Originally posted by imnomyth:
totally agree.they have no right to do anything to a device you own and have paid for without your permission.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

2031.8.2010 18:30

Originally posted by toked:
that apple logo has become insufferably obnoxious to me. 1984!
I do not think I have seen a better quote than that.

2131.8.2010 19:22

I am reasonably sure that I will never purchase another Apple product. Innovation starts at the top. So does greed. When it starts interfering with the first - screw them greedy bastads.

2231.8.2010 21:14

Apple does not like jailbreaking but it doesn't necessarily mean that this is the soul reason for the patent. Safety is important.

239.9.2010 15:05

Originally posted by gnovak1:
Which also proved they lied.

Just one example, in a long string of "mi$hap$".

Originally posted by rking_ad:

Some strong language there, perhaps, I'm just thinking that they don't (even) deserve it... Just ignoring them is best, right?!?? :)