Woman breaks texting speed record

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 23 Aug 2010 23:45 User comments (20)

Woman breaks texting speed record Samsung has announced today that Melissa Thompson of Greater Manchester has broken the record for fastest text message, shattering the old record by almost 10 seconds.
Thompson was using a Galaxy S with Swype and texted the phrase: "The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human."

The former Guinness World Record was 35.54 seconds for the phrase, which was shattered when Thompson did it in 25.94 seconds.

Thompson was shopping with her boyfriend when Samsung asked her to take a shot at the record.

Says the texting champ: "I used to send a lot of text messages - 40 or 50-a-day to Chris alone so we both knew I could type fast. But since we moved in together and I started my job I haven't been texting as much and, you could say, my fingers were out of shape. It's a real shock to find out that I'm the fastest texter in the world."

123.8.2010 20:04

40 or 50 a day?! Are you kidding me? I send maybe 1 per every 2 weeks, and I still think that's more than enough. I feel sorry for the parents that have to pay the cell phone bills for teens like these. I wouldn't be surprised if she has arthritis already. That's ok, the pain probably goes away from the adrenaline rush she gets from all the caffeine at starbucks.

224.8.2010 0:08

I have never sent a text message...ever.

Google needs to add that phrase to the voice keyboard so people can break the record with ease.

324.8.2010 0:08

Originally posted by mike.m:
40 or 50 a day when you have a significant other is really not all that much. Unlimited texting plans are pretty much the standard now anyways.

424.8.2010 1:10

I haven't even turned my cell on in 3 days.

524.8.2010 7:49

i text like half a message....because i dont even sent them... -_-; i know one of my friend's sister text 16000 a month...

624.8.2010 8:13

I'll bet her parents are proud...loser...lol

724.8.2010 9:00

Yea this isn't really something to be happy about... Find you send a lot of messages, who the hell cares how fast you do it.

824.8.2010 9:19

I bet her boyfriend is happy that she is fast with her hands..**cough** **cough**

924.8.2010 9:20

LOL. No can do with my fingers.

I don't see anything bad about it and text messages are very cheap with right contracts and i bet that everyone has a good contract who txts so much.

It's something like 50/50 with my calls and txts. In my opinion, it's same thing with keyboard. Probably many of us can write pretty fast.

Gratz,... But was there any prices for the fastest txt'er?

1024.8.2010 12:35

I doubt there was any "prizes" *I assume that was what you meant instead of

prices

1124.8.2010 15:19

No "prize," persay, but her name is now in the Guiness Book of World Records.

1224.8.2010 15:59

I admit, Swype is pretty sexy.

1324.8.2010 16:58

I text about a good 5,000 messages a month.

1424.8.2010 17:02

lol <send>

dead easy.. could have pissed on her if I could be bothered..

"Paula Partington from Wigan breaks world txt speed record with reply in under 1 second" .. but I'm not such a sad looser.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Aug 2010 @ 17:05

ARR! Them pesky Navy! Get out of my sea!
irc://irc.villageirc.net/afterdawn http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/

1525.8.2010 4:13

Originally posted by Insomniu:

To me, the contracts are the reason I still don't text...email acts the same as a text, but with attachments and larger capacity...and it is free! I know there are still a few people left with phones that can't email...but generally, these people don't text because they are too cheap to pay for the monthly service.

1625.8.2010 4:17

if they ever add a cash incentive to beat the record i will do it easily.I use text sometimes usually cause my sister is working and can't ring me or answer a call so we text each other.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

1725.8.2010 21:50

Originally posted by KillerBug:
I have never sent a text message...ever.

the Google server that translates voice to text would have a conniption with the text she broke the record with. and if she Swyped that. thats not the same as texting. there should be a category for this type of record. like on screen texting speed, qwerty keyboard speed, predictive text help on or off as well.

1825.8.2010 21:58

Swype/SlideIT are the best ways to text on a touch screen :)

1925.8.2010 23:56

Maybe i can beat the most shots taken to the head world record...when i realize how screwed up this world really can get.

of all the things you can be proud of texting shouldn't be one.

2031.8.2010 14:46

Originally posted by mike.m:
....I feel sorry for the parents that have to pay the cell phone bills for teens like these....
She's 27 and has her own job. Is that still a problem for you?