PSP emulator for the PS3 in the works

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 12 Sep 2010 18:53 User comments (11)

PSP emulator for the PS3 in the works PSX-Scene forum user "dimmudroid" has posted this weekend that he his actively working on a PSP emulator for the PlayStation 3, however, the emulator is still in very early stages.
Says dimmudroid:
"I'd like to announce a project i've been working on, PS3P. Basically it's the ability to load PSP games on PS3.

As you may know, the PS3 can play PSP Minis, which are installed just like any other package. And most PSP games have nearly identical structures and files as PS3 games.

Thus far I've been able to achieve a few steps in the right direction, but I'm not ready to share my work just yet. I've been working on this in my free time (aka outside of work and family) and it will be done when it's done.

If you'd like to know more, or keep on the up and up, feel free to find me on Twitter.com/dimmudroid

I may need a few alpha testers soon, I'll post requirements and such later today."

The user has posted a few updates this morning, which you can find at the source.

Sony's PlayStation 3 has been in the news recently as the console has finally been jailbroken, with PSGroove and PSFreedom now freely available online. Sony even recently updated the PS3 firmware to version 3.42, blocking the use of the jailbreak software while adding no other new features.

112.9.2010 18:56

Regardless of where he is at, be nice to have the source code available for others to help.

213.9.2010 0:00

It is probably so early in the development that the source is too ugly to adapt to anything...and he probably does have help.

This is the reason the system was broken. Yes, piracy is always a draw, but the people who started this all were working in response to the fact that sony refuses to provide quality firmwares with the things that people want. PSP and PS2 software emulation should have been around years ago, along with a laundry list of other things, yet sony just won't do it.

Lately I have been thinking of Atlas Shrugged a lot...I will have to read it again just to make sure I have all the finest points of the current system worked out.

313.9.2010 8:02

Firmware line is utter BS.
Same with the line of of needing to back up games or need faster loading.

It'd be like me flogging ya car and saying "yeah, I only did because GM don't offer 24inch wheels on my model of car."

They don't offer PSP and PS2 emu's is because they want people to buy PS3 games to play on a PS3, shocking I know! but hey it's the truth.

413.9.2010 8:48

this is all nice and good but shouldn't sony be working on lets say getting all our ps2 games working on the ps3 that would be nice since they had always been backward compateable it seems that now its a bait and switch to sell us on the ps3 and being able to run our old games then in mid stream they changed the song and said nope non are going to be supported this was like I should have bought a xbox then moved to the 360 at least its games will work ... this is sad that I have to have a ps2 and ps3 running to play games...

513.9.2010 8:57

There are lots of possibilities suggesting this won't even work anyways, so it doesn't really matter. This guy at best gets props for trying, but if you view the original source page, he is having a lot of difficulty and likely this will be over his head, even with a team or no.

613.9.2010 10:07

yes cause gm locks your hubcaps so you cant change your tires unless you take it to a dealer? idiot

They don't offer PSP and PS2 emu's is because they want people to buy PS3 games
actually they did offer a ps2 emu it was called the emotion engine and they removed it from later models
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Sep 2010 @ 10:07

713.9.2010 14:38

I'd like to play MGS:Peace Walker on my PS3.

www.inebriare.com
Xbox Live: Rogue Jello - PSN: bam431 - IGN: bam431
Youtube: electrowaffle - Twitter: bam431
i5 760, P7P55D-E, Vapor-X HD5770, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD,

813.9.2010 16:01

Originally posted by Hopium:
They don't offer PSP and PS2 emu's is because they want people to buy PS3 games

Not to mention people bitching and moaning about getting the price reduced and only ~15% wanting the PS2 compatibility too! Sometimes people just have no idea what they're talking about and prefer believing their conspiracy theories.

914.9.2010 5:30

Oh gaa... I thought sony was working on it for a sec...... I'd rather play it on the PS3 than get a stupid PSP..... same for the DS let me play GB,GBA,DS games on my WII damnit!!

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations

1017.9.2010 11:21

Eh, it doesn't really matter... cause the PSP games don't net you trophies on the PS3, so unless you're bore out your mind, I don't see why you want to play portable games on the PS3 :)

Of course, if a PSP game sort of "interact" with the PS3 counter part, that's a gimmick I dig (e.g. Resistance's Infection Mode, they should make more stuff like that, better and more interesting).

The other thing is to use the PSP as additional screen for PS3 games. I heard about using the PSP as a rear mirror for racing games, but it's only talk the talk :( Imagine you have another mount on the driving simulator seat for the PSP? That would be super sweet :)

Peace!

1117.9.2010 18:27

Originally posted by Gnawnivek:

Bigger screen, Better Controls, More comfortable. I'm gonna be playing the game anyways so why not do it on the PS3.

www.inebriare.com