Pioneer, Buffalo show off Blu-ray writers with BDXL support

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 25 Oct 2010 14:27 User comments (6)

Pioneer, Buffalo show off Blu-ray writers with BDXL support Pioneer and Buffalo have introduced the world's first Blu-ray writers with BDXL support, the standard that was approved by the BDA in June.
BDXL discs are quad-layer 128GB Blu-ray discs. The standard also allows for triple-layer BDs with 100GB capacity.

Available soon, the companies have shown off the external BRXL-6U2 and the internal BRXL-6FBS-BK.

Both writers can handle up to quad-layer discs at 4x speeds for the higher capacities.

Support for BD-R/BD-R DL and BD-RE/BD-RE DL are standard.

On the downside, there are no mainstream players that support the standard with only Panasonic and Sharp even introducing players, all of which cost over $2500. There is no word on pricing for the writers.

125.10.2010 16:09

Pockets need to be really deep for those kind of products.

226.10.2010 5:02

"For now, the format is targeted at professional applications such as archiving and medial imaging."

That is rich...a format that is virtually untested and people are going to use it for archiving?

326.10.2010 8:37

wow $25 dollars for a BD-DL imagine for a quad layer.

426.10.2010 9:51

Originally posted by KillerBug:

About as untested as archival CD and DVDs.... *rolls eyes*

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations

526.10.2010 10:07

Originally posted by bochi:
wow $25 dollars for a BD-DL imagine for a quad layer.
I don't know where you shop but I sure as hell don't pay $25 for BD-DL's! $10-$13 MAX is all I will pay when I buy mine.

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Originally posted by KillerBug:

About as untested as archival CD and DVDs.... *rolls eyes*
You made me giggle with that one Zippy lol...QFT

Here are some links about archival cd/dvd's ~ http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-media

And a link showing how BD's use the same or better tech ~ http://www.delkin.com/products/archivalgold/archival-blue-ray.html
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Oct 2010 @ 10:57

626.10.2010 10:37

Originally posted by Oner:
Originally posted by bochi:
wow $25 dollars for a BD-DL imagine for a quad layer.

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Originally posted by KillerBug:

About as untested as archival CD and DVDs.... *rolls eyes*
You made me giggle with that one Zippy lol...QFT
I mean unless the more tightly developed layers will somehow fail being trapped in layers and layers of archival grade material... I just dun see it being any worse.... LOL

---