Chip will make Blu-ray players, recorders smaller and more affordable

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 01 Dec 2010 12:25 User comments (5)

Chip will make Blu-ray players, recorders smaller and more affordable A new chip from STMicroelectronics will be make it possible to shrink the size of Blu-ray players and recorders, as well as cutting down on costs.
The new STODD01 power supply IC can generate all the voltages needed to operate the player's circuitry. Using it, designers can eliminate multiple individual power supplies from the printed-circuit board, which will reduce component costs, design complexity and assembly time.

The size of the board can also shrink down if used. The STODD01's power-supply channels benefit from highly efficient switched-mode conversion, which minimizes energy losses and heat generation. A true "shutdown mode" also works to cut down standby power consumption.

The STODD01 from STMicroelectronics is now sampling to lead customers. It is ready for mass production and priced at 80c in quantities of 1000.

11.12.2010 19:53

Great news now lets talk about the price of blank discs

22.12.2010 22:04
lissenup2

Cool.....maybe soon I'll be able to play a blu-ray on a watch and look at my wrist all day.

F this! Who cares.

33.12.2010 15:57

cinavia ..here we come

43.12.2010 21:55

All that I am waiting for is for some HDTV manufacturer to incorporate Sigma Design's chip in the TV itself. It would eliminate the ugly looking dangling wires from my media player to the TV !

53.12.2010 22:22