AfterDawn: Tech news

Verizon to restrict video downloads, download speeds as iPhone launches

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 03 Feb 2011 18:20 User comments (11)

Verizon to restrict video downloads, download speeds as iPhone launches Verizon Wireless has confirmed today that it will be "preventing users from downloading entire videos at once to help ease capacity burdens on the network," thanks to the launch of the iPhone.
Additionally, the carrier will "eliminate some colors and other data from videos that it deems to be not visible to the human eye. The loss of information from the input file may result in reduced color accuracy and sharpness."

Furthermore, the top 5 percent of downloaders in metro areas like San Francisco and Manhattan will have their speeds throttled, to avoid "jamming" the network.

The carrier says it will throttle speeds only at "specific high-traffic times of the day."

New customers, or anyone renewing as of today will be affected by the limitations, meaning all future iPhone users.

Previous Next  

11 user comments

13.2.2011 18:31

Doesn't show much confidence for the Verizon Network now does it?


"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ~ Roy Trenneman

http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

23.2.2011 20:00

And they want how much per month for that service? I'll pass. Thanks anyhow.

33.2.2011 20:33

Just a while ago I remember everyone bitching at ATT, and how crappy it was, how crappy GSM was...now we see the true Verizon colours.

43.2.2011 21:43

No grandfathering? Looks like this is my last verizon phone; if I wanted att style bs, I would be on att.

53.2.2011 22:16

Am I crazy to think my next phone should just be used to make phone calls.

64.2.2011 0:04

Originally posted by spartybob:
Am I crazy to think my next phone should just be used to make phone calls.
Yes, you are crazy. Smart phones are changing our society, as well as our minds. They make us more powerful by allowing us to delegate many tasks to a device, and thus have more mental room to focus on the things that actually matter. Of course, there are certain fears that come with such changes, and they are not completely without merit...but Pandora has already left the box; and now it is just keep up or get left behind.

The networks are freaking out because they are not meeting their 500% profit margin goals, so they are trying to stop the revolution they have created...but it is too late, and they really don't understand their near-future customers; they are all still in the phone mindset; still thinking that the internet is an add-on for the phone plan, and not vice-versa. This is going to hurt some of them bad when people start to dump their cell phones in favor of small WiMax/LTE/Pre-4G tablets with VoIP calling. They will react with outright insanity, and alienate their next-gen customers.


74.2.2011 13:30

Sweet! With my $130/mo plan I have unlimited data that is capable of downloading portions of movies that will be blurry and in black and white during certain times of the day. I renewing TODAY! WTF Verizon? Kill your key smart phone market (Android) in order to increase your profits by selling iPhones while giving customers the "AT&T" data experience.

84.2.2011 23:32

So people will be paying $120+ for inferior data service? Way to go Verizon.

95.2.2011 1:08

Originally posted by bobiroc:
Doesn't show much confidence for the Verizon Network now does it?
Actually, it shows me that 5% of users use an extremely disproportionate amount of bandwidth, possibly enough to slow the entire network (in their area) down. Throttling them to keep the network fast for the other 95% of their customers makes smart business sense to me.

If they throttled everyone's speed 24/7 that would show their network isn't as good as they claim.

"The only people who should buy Monster cable are people who light cigars with Benjamins." - Gizmodo

105.2.2011 7:54

I can't believe it!!!!
We talked sooo much crap against AT&T and after all Verizon is as crappy or worst.
An I remember a post here in that an AT&T rep laughed at Verizon and said that this was going to happen.

115.2.2011 14:33

Originally posted by Pop_Smith:
Originally posted by bobiroc:
Doesn't show much confidence for the Verizon Network now does it?
Actually, it shows me that 5% of users use an extremely disproportionate amount of bandwidth, possibly enough to slow the entire network (in their area) down. Throttling them to keep the network fast for the other 95% of their customers makes smart business sense to me.

If they throttled everyone's speed 24/7 that would show their network isn't as good as they claim.
And here I thought it was AT&T's crappy network that was the problem and now it is that iPhone users allegedly use more bandwidth than other smartphones? Hmm. Which is it?

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ~ Roy Trenneman

http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive