Technology is still ruining our sleep

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 07 Mar 2011 14:45 User comments (11)

Technology is still ruining our sleep The National Sleep Foundation has released their annual study this week on American's sleeping habits, and once again concluded that technology is ruining our sleep.
Says vice chairman Russell Rosenberg:

Unfortunately, cell phones and computers, which make our lives more productive and enjoyable, may be abused to the point that they contribute to getting less sleep at night leaving millions of Americans functioning poorly the next day.

95 percent of those in the study said they used some electronic device within one hour of sleep, and 65 percent admitted they do not get enough sleep during the week.

Exposure to artificial light within one hour of bed can "increase alertness and suppress the release of melatonin, a sleep-promoting hormone," says Charles Czeisler, of Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

Continues Czeisler (via Reuters):

Technology has invaded the bedroom. Invasion of such alerting technologies into the bedroom may contribute to the high proportion of respondents who reported they routinely get less sleep than they need.

"Baby Boomers," adults aged 45-64, had the biggest percentage of those watching TV before bed while 61 percent of all admitted to using their computers at least a few nights each week.

18.3.2011 0:40

"Exposure to artificial light within one hour of bed..."

isn't light bulbs artificial light? then i guess anyone who doesn't go to bed before the sun goes down is... hum... you know...

X_x

28.3.2011 1:46

Originally posted by hglez86:

"Exposure to artificial light within one hour of bed..."

Yes, that is basically what they are saying...turn the lights out and do nothing for an hour before going to bed. Seems rather stupid if you ask me. Large trucks, dogs, lawnmowers, and screaming idiots are the only reasons I wake up while I am sleeping...but not since I got a good white noise generator. Technology helps me sleep...and I don't need to sit in the dark doing nothing for an hour before attempting to go to sleep...if you think you need to do that, what you really need is a good workout and a hot shower.

38.3.2011 9:25

The National Sleep Foundation is 100% correct.
Last night, instead of watching TV, use my cell or surf the web, I read their study before going to bed. It put me right to ... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

48.3.2011 11:05

I hope evolution makes us independent of sleeping. Just keep sitting and watching TV all night, and I think we're gonna make it!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Mar 2011 @ 11:06

58.3.2011 20:01

Originally posted by fanwars:
We could try drugs, might speed up the process.

www.inebriare.com
Xbox Live: Rogue Jello - PSN: bam431 - IGN: bam431
Youtube: electrowaffle - Twitter: bam431
i5 760, P7P55D-E, Vapor-X HD5770, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD,

68.3.2011 21:42

Originally posted by fanwars:
I hope so!

79.3.2011 5:49

sleep is overrated.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

811.3.2011 17:25

Are we really supposed to NOT have any exposure to artificial light one hour before bed time? Are they serious?

What a joke.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Mar 2011 @ 17:26

912.3.2011 7:03

One hour of total darkness before going to sleep !

Can you imagine the population explosion as a result ?

1013.3.2011 3:09

the thing is not everyone needs sleep.Some people can work and function that havnt slept for 30hours.other people sleep 12hours a night and are still tired.if your tired enough you will sleep.ive slept in a room with a 500watt subwoofer and 2 speakers cranking o and the light was on.

1113.3.2011 4:10

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
I think that is being passed out LOL... just kidding :p

X_x