Android Ice Cream to mix Gingerbread, Honeycomb and Google TV

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 04 Apr 2011 1:16 User comments (8)

Android Ice Cream to mix Gingerbread, Honeycomb and Google TV Phandroid has posted a nice article on the upcoming Android Ice Cream (maybe 4.0?) which includes the fact that the operating system will add Google TV.
Google CEO Eric Schmidt said last month that Ice Cream would merge Gingerbread and Honeycomb, removing fears of ongoing fragmentation in the open source operating system.

The search giant will announce the decision at their IO conference in May, says the site.

Over the past week, Google has received a lot of criticism for not releasing the Honeycomb source code, but the site says the delay is completely due to Google still working on integrating Google TV and wanting to release the code with Google TV in a working state.

Ice Cream will be a huge benefit to Android owners as Google would only need to update one code base for smartphones, Google TV boxes and HDTVs and tablets.

14.4.2011 2:34

Finally.

Fragmentation was going to be the death of Android.

X360 - iXtreme1.4 ||| Xbox - EvoX Dash ||| PS2 - CC 2.0 PRO SLE ||| Dreamcast ...lol ||| NDS - Acekard 2/M3 Simply/EZ Flash 3-1 ||| Rooted HTC Hero with Ic3rom

24.4.2011 13:16

wooohooo

34.4.2011 14:06

Originally posted by Joshewah:
Fragmentation was going to be the death of Android.
Which is exactly what Ice Cream is going to solve. Hopefully this will help Android become (even) more stable.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Apr 2011 @ 14:08

"The only people who should buy Monster cable are people who light cigars with Benjamins." - Gizmodo

44.4.2011 15:14

Hell, I can't even get 2.3 on my damn EVO! Honeycomb is a pipe dream for me and Ice Cream??? Yeah, right.

I like this news... I just wish the manufacturers and Telcos would update their damn phones!

54.4.2011 15:19

this is what root is for. We all know that manufactures are at least 1year behind hackers.

The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.
--quote by unknown

64.4.2011 15:57

Originally posted by ThePastor:

My HD2 isn't even an Android phone and I can run Gingerbread with Sense on it lol

74.4.2011 21:57

Originally posted by 0ldskool:
Haha exactly right. Waiting for carriers to rollout an update that doesn't help their bottom line is useless.

816.4.2011 2:22

More evidence that Google is on the right track in putting Larry Page in charge (I know the article said Schmidt was CEO, but in name only last month).