AfterDawn: Tech news

Hackers have taken all your info from PSN

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 26 Apr 2011 19:36 User comments (67)

Hackers have taken all your info from PSN Following 5 days of downtime, Sony has finally confirmed the reason behind the PSN outage, sparking outrage from concerned gamers.
Sony says hackers have stolen PSN account info, forcing the company to shut down PSN and Qriocity as it rebuilds its services.

In an announcement, Sony says the attack took place between April 17th and 19th.

The company notes that your "Name, address (city, state, postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID, profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, postal code), and the subscriber's PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers" have all likely been compromised.

Even worse, the company says your credit card info and expiration date are likely to have been compromised, as well.

There are 71 million registered PSN accounts.

If you are worried, Sony says you should check your credit card statements and credit reports daily, and of course, to change your password once PSN goes back online.

Previous Next  

67 user comments

126.4.2011 19:52

Why Sony wait to long to tell PSN users:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164186p1.html

How to protect your identity after the PSN hack:
http://go.ign.com/gX3Nqd


My first Step is 2go2 the Bank or Call, and report a stolen CC even if is not and I get issue a new one; if people argue a false charge within 60 days, people are able to get it wiped from the record.
Just my 2 cents.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Apr 2011 @ 2:31

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

226.4.2011 19:56

Companies that lose information such as this should be held accountable for the loss, whether anything becomes of it or not. Its BS that they require all this information for the service but, when they "lose" it, they just say "check yer shite". The same thing should go for banks, insurance companies, medical services, etc.




** YEA! No longer a Newb! **

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Apr 2011 @ 19:57

326.4.2011 20:22

Originally posted by Mrguss:
How to protect your identity after the PSN hack:

http://go.ign.com/gX3Nqd
Take PlayStation 3 go to a multi story building go up at least 8 stories and toss out nearest available window.

all jokes aside, why is this information held on servers owned by Sony, they are not a Bank or financial institution. smell that smells like Anti-trust lawsuit brewing.

Powered By

426.4.2011 20:31

Weren't the first won't be the last & crimes like this will continue to be on the rise information is the new crude & more than likely worth more than gold.

ps:to all you who have had their info compromised & money stolen,too bad suckers i'll send you a post card from the bahama's :p

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Apr 2011 @ 23:17

526.4.2011 20:41

So basically I cant login to even change my password... makes since.. comprised but yet all sony says is "check your statments" If something was to happen like that, could sony be legally liable??


626.4.2011 20:47

Funny thing! Just last week some bastard used my card to try to buy $200 worth of Blizzard software.
Suddenly, I know how!



726.4.2011 21:03

All I have to say is after having been a sony fanboy for almost a decade I'm glad I made the switch. Between all the lawsuits and removal of features from the PS3 buying a 360 was over a ps3 turned out to be a great choice. Live hasn't had anything close this. It's an outrage and very sad


XXYYQQOO!!! Yeah WELCOME TO JAMROCK

826.4.2011 21:06

Rant continues. I hope Geohot and others that got the smackdown from them sue sony for having their personal information compromised. These people need to learn what goes around comes around!


XXYYQQOO!!! Yeah WELCOME TO JAMROCK

926.4.2011 21:06

Oh

Originally posted by xyqo:
All I have to say is after having been a sony fanboy for almost a decade I'm glad I made the switch. Between all the lawsuits and removal of features from the PS3 buying a 360 was over a ps3 turned out to be a great choice. Live hasn't had anything close this. It's an outrage and very sad
I totally agree... Im so die hard that i am trying to understand this and stick through it, but Sony is making it really hard...

1126.4.2011 21:36

Originally posted by Oner:
Originally posted by xyqo:
Live hasn't had anything close this.
You sure 'bout that?

Not once ~ http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/xbox-live-hacked-accounts-stolen/131

But twice ~ http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/04/xbox-live-hacker-all-accounts-are-open-to-attacks/
this is on a far greater scale. It seems as if its the majority of accounts in PSN

XXYYQQOO!!! Yeah WELCOME TO JAMROCK

1226.4.2011 21:42

Originally posted by xyqo:
Originally posted by Oner:
Originally posted by xyqo:
Live hasn't had anything close this.
You sure 'bout that?

Not once ~ http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/xbox-live-hacked-accounts-stolen/131

But twice ~ http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/04/xbox-live-hacker-all-accounts-are-open-to-attacks/
this is on a far greater scale. It seems as if its the majority of accounts in PSN
The point is that it's not secure as well...NOTHING is truly secure (outside of not using a service at all).
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Apr 2011 @ 21:44

1326.4.2011 21:47

This is sickening...credit card info has been in the wild for at least 5 days, and they are just telling us NOW??? I wonder if they kept old credit card data without permission; like cards deleted from accounts...I would ask them, but it would take them a year to respond.

Sony: Not only have you attacked me and several men I respect, but you have angered the world so much that they are attacking you back, and I am getting caught in the crossfire...repeatedly. Oh, and when YOUR MISTAKES compromise the confidential information required to take money from my accounts, I expect to know about it ASAP; not a week (or more) later. You say that you turned off the network because you found out about this; that was 5 days ago!!!

When/If the PSN returns, I suspect that PSN card sales will spike; there will always be people dumb/desperate enough to buy from the PSN, but I sure hope no one is stupid enough to use a real CC there ever again.



1426.4.2011 21:54

im gonna guess my card details and password have been stolen, for the entire day before the outage i couldnt log in, kept getting an incorrect password message, when i finally gave in a decided to try the "forgot password" option it was too late, the password reset website was down

1526.4.2011 21:58

Funny thing that most don't seem to realize (let alone want to even admit nor discuss) is how who ever hacked the PSN doesn't really seem to have your back by stealing this info now huh? Another bit of a contradiction/conundrum isn't it? Hhhmmmm...

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Apr 2011 @ 22:03

1626.4.2011 22:11

The last time I bought anything from the PSN was over a year ago. Used a debit card. (Dumb move, I know). The only upside is I have a new debit card with a new number now so I should be okay, right?

1726.4.2011 22:42

Originally posted by Jlhfit:
Oh
Originally posted by xyqo:
All I have to say is after having been a sony fanboy for almost a decade I'm glad I made the switch. Between all the lawsuits and removal of features from the PS3 buying a 360 was over a ps3 turned out to be a great choice. Live hasn't had anything close this. It's an outrage and very sad
I totally agree... Im so die hard that i am trying to understand this and stick through it, but Sony is making it really hard...
Exactly what he said.

1826.4.2011 22:45

Originally posted by Mrguss:
How to protect your identity after the PSN hack:

http://go.ign.com/gX3Nqd

My first Step is go the Bank and report a stolen CC even if is not and I get issue a new one; if people argue a false charge within 60 days, people are able to get it wiped from the record.
Just my 2 cents.

Why Sony wait to long to tell PSN users:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164186p1.html
http://wewhoareabouttodie.com/2010/04/29/sony-no-baloney-walkman-commercial-circa-1980/

1926.4.2011 23:00

Doesn't affect me fortunately, but I'd be angry about it just because they didn't tell me about it for several days.

I'm sure legality wise, you've already signed/accepted something (ToS) that protects them in case they lose your information.

But yeah, time you you guys to boycott or voice your opinions (at least email them, directly, not some fb crap), or nothing will be changed.

2026.4.2011 23:04

Originally posted by Oner:
Funny thing that most don't seem to realize (let alone want to even admit nor discuss) is how who ever hacked the PSN doesn't really seem to have your back by stealing this info now huh? Another bit of a contradiction/conundrum isn't it? Hhhmmmm...
I see three possible scenarios here...

1) We are all full of ourselves; and someone who does not care about the scene or Linux or anything realized that Sony security sucks, so they just broke in for money.
2) Some hacker broke in as revenge and accidentally happened across all this data, he then freaked out, formatted his hard drive with random numbers, and never took any credit for the hack.
3) Some hacker broke in as revenge and accidentally happened across all this data, and he then realized he was a billionaire.


2126.4.2011 23:34

hope there found asap nice jail cell for the next few years waiting for whoever.

2327.4.2011 0:47

As much as this sucks for the people who had their personal information stolen I'm glad to see this happen to Sony. I really hope this negatively affects both their stock prices and consumer confidence.

I know, it's immature of me to say that, but that's how I view this situation.

Between the blu-ray/HDDVD format wars, the removal of advertised features from the PS3, the lawsuits, and the the unlawful acquisition of youtube and twitter user information I see this as Sony getting their just dues.


X360 - iXtreme1.4 ||| Xbox - EvoX Dash ||| PS2 - CC 2.0 PRO SLE ||| Dreamcast ...lol ||| NDS - Acekard 2/M3 Simply/EZ Flash 3-1 ||| Rooted HTC Hero with Ic3rom

2427.4.2011 0:51

Here's an interesting fact: if the PSN ever comes back up in, say, June, then all users will immediately log in at once, billions of DLC things, including stuff for SOCOM 4 and Mortal Kombat, will be downloaded, and at the same time, 99 percent of account holders will be playing online sessions. All of this happening simultaneously within seconds after the PSN recovers may totally overload the servers and cause them to crash, shutting down the PSN again. The second shutdown could last several weeks or even months.


Intel Core i7-950 3.06 GHz, 12 GB DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 6770, 1.5 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP1

2527.4.2011 1:07

Originally posted by Joshewah:
As much as this sucks for the people who had their personal information stolen I'm glad to see this happen to Sony. I really hope this negatively affects both their stock prices and consumer confidence.

I know, it's immature of me to say that, but that's how I view this situation.

Between the blu-ray/HDDVD format wars, the removal of advertised features from the PS3, the lawsuits, and the the unlawful acquisition of youtube and twitter user information I see this as Sony getting their just dues.

I can't help but agree.


2627.4.2011 1:22

Does it really come as a surprise that a company whose idea of a random number is a static constant is lacking in security features on other areas as well...


Jari Ketola
Administrator
http://www.AfterDawn.com

2727.4.2011 4:46

It is becoming hard to stay on the PS3 boat with this. I'm surprised that people actually went out and bought an xbox just to play black ops online. Good thing I switched to prepaid cards though.

2827.4.2011 5:35

I had to cancel my card. None the less, I am happy to see this. That might sound vengeful, but Sony never learns anything when they only loose a few million dollars...they need to get hit HARD; and they have been. Will it teach them a lesson? Maybe not...but at least there is a chance.



2927.4.2011 5:36

To be honest im starting to feel a little (note i said a little and i mean a very little) sorry for s0ny, however i think although this was not directly their doing its is pretty clear its been their actions that the wheels in motion so to speak... its going to be interesting, they have a choice now to do something fantastic to recapture customers support and confidence again... for many people its probably to late to say sorry, but that should mean they should alienate all customers or no try to strive to pull new customers... lets see you do something fantastic, because if you dont this is really going to hurt you so much more in the long term.........

3027.4.2011 6:32
badgaz4889
Unverified new user

Originally posted by KillerBug:
This is sickening...credit card info has been in the wild for at least 5 days, and they are just telling us NOW??? I wonder if they kept old credit card data without permission; like cards deleted from accounts...I would ask them, but it would take them a year to respond.

Sony: Not only have you attacked me and several men I respect, but you have angered the world so much that they are attacking you back, and I am getting caught in the crossfire...repeatedly. Oh, and when YOUR MISTAKES compromise the confidential information required to take money from my accounts, I expect to know about it ASAP; not a week (or more) later. You say that you turned off the network because you found out about this; that was 5 days ago!!!

When/If the PSN returns, I suspect that PSN card sales will spike; there will always be people dumb/desperate enough to buy from the PSN, but I sure hope no one is stupid enough to use a real CC there ever again.
I THINK AS AN APOLOGY EVERYONE SHOULD GET MAP PACKS FREE ETC IT SAVES USING YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO

3127.4.2011 7:07

The Australian Federal Police have come out and told everybody it's relevant to to cancel and get a re-issue of their CC & DC accounts... no ifs and or buts.

Too late for your personal info. You PSN users should be looking over your shoulder for many many years to come unfortunately.

Why does anybody think this is anything but simple cybertheft? There are no high and mighty ideals at stake here. Give up any notions that Sony will return OtherOS or backwards compatibility.

It's on a scale unlike anything that's happened to XBL (or Wii, or whomever), stop pretending it's at all comparable, it smacks of desperation. It may indeed still happen but let's hope that the relatively minor incidents that have occurred to them, e.g. Major Nelson's account being hacked, had alerted M$ et al to the dangers.

It's utterly reprehensible that Sony did not inform the public of the theft sooner. There is no excuse for it... they knew from early on and were playing damage control with peoples' info.

I feel sorry for the Sony employees and the people of Japan too. After everything that has happened now this debacle. The banks who have to wear any CC fraud arising from this may come after Sony... tsk.

This won't be the end of it. To be anything but furious with $ony, or to make excuses for them, is frankly idiotic.


-----------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Apr 2011 @ 12:11

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

3227.4.2011 7:27

Originally posted by Jemborg:

This won't be the end of it. To be anything but furious with $ony, or to make excuses for them, is frankly idiotic.

Head on over the the playstation.com forums if you want a laugh...it amazes me...I honestly don't know how these people got old enough to type without proving Darwin correct.


3327.4.2011 8:45

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Originally posted by Jemborg:

This won't be the end of it. To be anything but furious with $ony, or to make excuses for them, is frankly idiotic.

Head on over the the playstation.com forums if you want a laugh...it amazes me...I honestly don't know how these people got old enough to type without proving Darwin correct.
Crikey you're right... ahahahaha.

The limited commentary that seems to have been allowed demonstrates many them are living in la-la land.

A lot seem to think because the PSN is free somehow it's ok... some even seem to be using this to have a go at XBL. RoFL.

This guy was the most sensible but seemed to be quite lonesome:
"I don't really see why so many people are saying it was inevitable that their personal information was stolen from a respected company's online database. The ONLY reason it was stolen was due to Sony's negligent failure to take proper measures to protect that data. While I'm still a Sony fan and will still use the PS3 as my primary gaming console this has certainly shaken my faith in the company."

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

3427.4.2011 12:02

Originally posted by POGK:
Companies that lose information such as this should be held accountable for the loss, whether anything becomes of it or not. Its BS that they require all this information for the service but, when they "lose" it, they just say "check yer shite". The same thing should go for banks, insurance companies, medical services, etc.




** YEA! No longer a Newb! **

3527.4.2011 12:07

I agree 100% ! Sony has to do more than say check your credit report ! Anybody who uses their PSN has entrusted them to protect their personal and private information and they couldn't do that and now they want PSN users to somehow feel as if they are at fault for what clearly is a PR blunder by Sony !

Thanks Sony and just in case you're wondering, I've decided to sell my PS3 and go with another gaming machine from a company that at least takes all precautions to protect their users and subscribers !

The worst of this outside of the obvious breach of privacy is the fact that so many PS3 games are rendered useless because they require connecting to the PSN to play so no offline play for a myriad of PS3 games and that well just sucks !

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Apr 2011 @ 12:08

3627.4.2011 12:41

Saw Lateline (ABC TV Oz) report... some guy in Adelaide has had $2000+ stolen from CC, it's considered to be related to the PSN infiltration. Thought to be originating from the States. The Privacy Commissioner has begun an investigation into Sony. Cyber security experts are calling for legislation to force companies to inform clients in one or two days of any breach.

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2011/s3201906.htm


------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Apr 2011 @ 13:57

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

3727.4.2011 13:03

Originally posted by phade3:
I agree 100% ! Sony has to do more than say check your credit report ! Anybody who uses their PSN has entrusted them to protect their personal and private information and they couldn't do that and now they want PSN users to somehow feel as if they are at fault for what clearly is a PR blunder by Sony !

Thanks Sony and just in case you're wondering, I've decided to sell my PS3 and go with another gaming machine from a company that at least takes all precautions to protect their users and subscribers !

The worst of this outside of the obvious breach of privacy is the fact that so many PS3 games are rendered useless because they require connecting to the PSN to play so no offline play for a myriad of PS3 games and that well just sucks !

Just get games for PC, then.

Intel Core i7-950 3.06 GHz, 12 GB DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 6770, 1.5 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP1

3827.4.2011 13:14

Originally posted by phade3:
I agree 100% ! Sony has to do more than say check your credit report ! Anybody who uses their PSN has entrusted them to protect their personal and private information and they couldn't do that and now they want PSN users to somehow feel as if they are at fault for what clearly is a PR blunder by Sony !

Thanks Sony and just in case you're wondering, I've decided to sell my PS3 and go with another gaming machine from a company that at least takes all precautions to protect their users and subscribers !

The worst of this outside of the obvious breach of privacy is the fact that so many PS3 games are rendered useless because they require connecting to the PSN to play so no offline play for a myriad of PS3 games and that well just sucks !

The Wiggle-woggle said,
When I'm standing on my head,
I can see the coast of China,
And it's very very red.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

3927.4.2011 13:33

Well, I remove billing info from my PSN account after every purchase. Will the hackers still be able to get my info?

Kinda sucks that my password has been taken though :/

4027.4.2011 13:51

Originally posted by kikzm33z:
Well, I remove billing info from my PSN account after every purchase. Will the hackers still be able to get my info?

Kinda sucks that my password has been taken though :/
Maybe.

Anybody who doesn't keep a weather eye on their CC account is a knucklehead anyway... regardless of Sony's incompetence.

Change your password. Mind your emails.

S'why I always do ALL my financial transactions using Puppy. Which coincidently is the same advice of the N.S.W Poo-lice:

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/157767,nsw-police-dont-use-windows-for-internet-banking.aspx

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

4127.4.2011 15:23

Sony is at fault here. I like how after the fact they check there security they should have done this years ago not after the fact. This is going to hurt them more then they know, I know after this I will be cancelling my Sony plus and removing all credit card info. I prefer the Xbox 360 anyway.

4227.4.2011 18:02

Do I smell a class action lawsuit building? With 70+ million complainants, this could ruin Sony.

4328.4.2011 1:00

i love how some people blame the victims and not the criminal. why is it sonys fault that a crime was committed against them and their customers? heres one i blame Al Gore for the internet and the cybercriminals that came with it.

4428.4.2011 1:41

Originally posted by cazer:
i love how some people blame the victims and not the criminal. why is it sonys fault that a crime was committed against them and their customers? heres one i blame Al Gore for the internet and the cybercriminals that came with it.
sony is in charge of security on the psn network thats why they are getting blamed.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

4528.4.2011 4:06

All the stories about the PSN crisis here:

http://go.ign.com/dL3nex

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Apr 2011 @ 13:52

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

4628.4.2011 8:53

Originally posted by cazer:
i love how some people blame the victims and not the criminal. why is it sonys fault that a crime was committed against them and their customers? heres one i blame Al Gore for the internet and the cybercriminals that came with it.
I love the way some people will go on making excuses for Sony when they know they were responsible for safeguarding their customers' personal details.

Even... The (Australian) Privacy Commissioner has begun an investigation to make sure Sony did everything it could to keep its customers safe.

From: http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2011/s3201906.htm

Do you honestly think that's illogical and unfair? I can't believe you're that naive.

Yes it's wrong what those cybercrimms did... obviously it's a given... but by your reasoning it's ok for a bank to abandon using armoured vehicles to transport cash because, hey, they're not responsible if anything gets stolen.

And how the hell do you justify Sony failing to alert their customers to the danger for so long?


-----------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Apr 2011 @ 13:42

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

4728.4.2011 13:28

Meh and who actually believes Al Snore had anything to do with creating the internet? I hope you were joking cazer! ROFL otherwise...


Just my $0.02,

dEwMe

4828.4.2011 14:04

Originally posted by Jemborg:

Yes it's wrong what those cybercrimms did... obviously it's a given... but by your reasoning it's ok for a bank to abandon using armoured vehicles to transport cash because, hey, they're not responsible if anything gets stolen.

And how the hell do you justify Sony failing to alert their customers to the danger for so long?


Banks are crooks anyway with or without armored trucks :) Of course banks get blamed for lost/stolen cash. The point here, the banks are not in the spot light, the criminals are. Sony is responsible for the security of PSN no matter how they spin it. If Sony had released the news one or two days after PSN was taken down, they may save some face, but ultimately they still need to address PSN's security issue. Perhaps Sony delayed the response to buy more time? Perhaps Sony trying to appear "tough?" Perhaps Sony don't want to cause massive panic to the PSN users? Perhaps Sony don't want to upset the investors? Whatever the reason is, as a PSN user, I only care about when will the issue be resolved and how do I know my info is safe with them?

Peace!

4928.4.2011 14:54

Originally posted by Gnawnivek:
If Sony had released the news one or two days after PSN was taken down, they may save some face, but ultimately they still need to address PSN's security issue. Perhaps Sony delayed the response to buy more time? Perhaps Sony trying to appear "tough?" Perhaps Sony don't want to cause massive panic to the PSN users? Perhaps Sony don't want to upset the investors? Whatever the reason is, as a PSN user, I only care about when will the issue be resolved and how do I know my info is safe with them?
This was released later the same day Sony posted the warnings about the breach ~

Source
Quote:
"I wanted to take this opportunity to clarify a point and answer one of the most frequently asked questions today.

There’s a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers’ data being compromised. We learned there was an intrusion April 19th and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly this afternoon."
And there has been info stating the data was/is encrypted and that it is still not entirely confirmed anything got out. This is however still to be taken as rumor. So as a precaution be diligent in protecting yourself as best as possible under the circumstances.

The fact remains if any information is used illegally that just proves whoever did this was/is out for themselves and didn't do this for "consumer rights" as some people would have others believe.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Apr 2011 @ 15:01

5028.4.2011 17:10

Originally posted by Gnawnivek:
The point here, the banks are not in the spot light, the criminals are.
Is there something about the concept of analogy you don't understand?



Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

5128.4.2011 17:37

Originally posted by Oner:
The fact remains if any information is used illegally that just proves whoever did this was/is out for themselves and didn't do this for "consumer rights" as some people would have others believe.
I totally agree.

However, as to the delay... you may but I don't believe Sony. US politicians are up in arms about it. Cyber Security experts in Oz are calling for legislation (as I wrote above, post #36)...



Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

5228.4.2011 19:24

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Originally posted by cazer:
i love how some people blame the victims and not the criminal. why is it sonys fault that a crime was committed against them and their customers? heres one i blame Al Gore for the internet and the cybercriminals that came with it.
I love the way some people will go on making excuses for Sony when they know they were responsible for safeguarding their customers' personal details.

Even... The (Australian) Privacy Commissioner has begun an investigation to make sure Sony did everything it could to keep its customers safe.

From: http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2011/s3201906.htm

Do you honestly think that's illogical and unfair? I can't believe you're that naive.

Yes it's wrong what those cybercrimms did... obviously it's a given... but by your reasoning it's ok for a bank to abandon using armoured vehicles to transport cash because, hey, they're not responsible if anything gets stolen.

And how the hell do you justify Sony failing to alert their customers to the danger for so long?


-----------------------------------------------------------------
your comment really has nothing to do with mine. how do you know what sony did or didnt do to protect this data? an investigation does not mean they did anything wrong. all it means is they are looking to see if they did anything wrong. they don't know and neither do you. do you not think that armored vehicles have not been robbed? a lock of any type only keeps a honest person honest. anything can be hacked you need to start living in the real world! i guess you would blame the rape victim. i never tried to justify Sony failing to alert their customers. maybe they did not know what got out. maybe they did. i dont know. if sony did something wrong then yes they should pay for it. if they didnt then they shouldnt pay. this stuff happens all the time around the world but you dont see people bitching about it here. this only made news here because its sony and gaming and most here are sony haters.

@dEwMe
yes i was jokeing about good old al.

5328.4.2011 20:17

Originally posted by cazer:
Originally posted by Jemborg:
Originally posted by cazer:
i love how some people blame the victims and not the criminal. why is it sonys fault that a crime was committed against them and their customers? heres one i blame Al Gore for the internet and the cybercriminals that came with it.
I love the way some people will go on making excuses for Sony when they know they were responsible for safeguarding their customers' personal details.

Even... The (Australian) Privacy Commissioner has begun an investigation to make sure Sony did everything it could to keep its customers safe.

From: http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2011/s3201906.htm

Do you honestly think that's illogical and unfair? I can't believe you're that naive.

Yes it's wrong what those cybercrimms did... obviously it's a given... but by your reasoning it's ok for a bank to abandon using armoured vehicles to transport cash because, hey, they're not responsible if anything gets stolen.

And how the hell do you justify Sony failing to alert their customers to the danger for so long?


-----------------------------------------------------------------
your comment really has nothing to do with mine. how do you know what sony did or didnt do to protect this data? an investigation does not mean they did anything wrong. all it means is they are looking to see if they did anything wrong. they don't know and neither do you. do you not think that armored vehicles have not been robbed? a lock of any type only keeps a honest person honest. anything can be hacked you need to start living in the real world! i guess you would blame the rape victim. i never tried to justify Sony failing to alert their customers. maybe they did not know what got out. maybe they did. i dont know. if sony did something wrong then yes they should pay for it. if they didnt then they shouldnt pay. this stuff happens all the time around the world but you dont see people bitching about it here. this only made news here because its sony and gaming and most here are sony haters.


Actually, there are 77 million reasons why you are minimising this incident. Implying I'm just a Sony hater is really f***ing immature.

:)



======================================================================
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Apr 2011 @ 1:36

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

5428.4.2011 22:04

Gamespot also reported that a few financial companies such as ~
Source Gamespot

Quote:
"MasterCard, WellsFargo and American Express, have witnessed "no unauthorized activity relating to Sony."
Sony's Patrick Seybold also had this to say ~

Source Arstechnica
Quote:
"The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken."

Edit 1:
Originally posted by Jemborg:
Originally posted by Oner:
The fact remains if any information is used illegally that just proves whoever did this was/is out for themselves and didn't do this for "consumer rights" as some people would have others believe.
I totally agree.
Holy Crap! Did I just see that you actually agreed with something I said!?!? ;P


Edit 2:
Originally posted by cazer:
...this only made news here because its sony and gaming and most here are sony haters.
This is absolutely untrue. This is world wide gaming IMPORTANT news/information and aD is doing this just for that. To inform our members and people who visit us for their tech fix. Nothing else. Hell if aD was about that, then most of the "Sony haters" would probably say or be wondering why would "Oner" allow this since I have been pegged a "Sony Employee/Insider/Whatever" numerous times. So please refrain from making unsupported/inaccurate statements like that about us. TY
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Apr 2011 @ 22:30

5528.4.2011 22:07

Originally posted by Oner:
Gamespot also reported that a few financial companies such as ~
Source Gamestop
Quote:
"MasterCard, WellsFargo and American Express, have witnessed "no unauthorized activity relating to Sony."

Sony's Patrick Seybold also had this to say ~
Source Arstechnica
Quote:
"The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken."

Well, that genuinely is a relief. I must say. I want to be more positive Oner but it's still early days.

Identity theft is still a concern.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

5628.4.2011 22:10

@jemborg
show me were i said "you were a sony hater".i said most here i never pointed you out directly. i also love how you love to name call like i child. and no i did not call you a child i said you act like one

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Apr 2011 @ 22:13

5728.4.2011 22:20

Originally posted by Jemborg:
I want to be more positive Oner but it's still early days.
Well that's good to hear.


Originally posted by Jemborg:
Identity theft is still a concern.
And I too 100% agree, as it is still just too early to be that naive & ignorant.

5828.4.2011 23:01

@cazer

What-ever loser.

======================================================================


@Oner

Only when you're being reasonable. :P

Actually, I've agreed with you a number of times recently. You just need to get out your magnifying glass. ;)


Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

5929.4.2011 1:58

Originally posted by Jemborg:
@cazer

What-ever loser.

======================================================================


@Oner

Only when you're being reasonable. :P

Actually, I've agreed with you a number of times recently. You just need to get out your magnifying glass. ;)
Yeah, that's what I thought!

6029.4.2011 3:55

oh the flames.... down tiger.. !!

6129.4.2011 5:43

4-29-11
Hackers claim to have stolen PSN credit card info...
Sony was supposedly offered a chance to buy the DB [database] back but didn'.....
http://cnet.co/ioz5b6

4-30-11
PSN Database Containing 2.2 Million Credit Cards , Now For Sale,
include the CCV security code that until now was believed to be safe.....

http://bit.ly/lj7CyA

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Apr 2011 @ 8:01

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

6229.4.2011 9:48

Originally posted by Mrguss:
4-29-11
Hackers claim to have stolen PSN credit card info...
Sony was supposedly offered a chance to buy the DB [database] back but didn'.....


http://cnet.co/ioz5b6
So what good does it do if Sony buy back the stolen DB? It's not like that's the only copy or something... Hmmm, the part about reports of unauthorized charges is disturbing.

Peace!

6329.4.2011 13:07

Originally posted by Gnawnivek:
Originally posted by Mrguss:
4-29-11
Hackers claim to have stolen PSN credit card info...
Sony was supposedly offered a chance to buy the DB [database] back but didn'.....


http://cnet.co/ioz5b6
So what good does it do if Sony buy back the stolen DB? It's not like that's the only copy or something... Hmmm, the part about reports of unauthorized charges is disturbing.
It's all unconfirmed rumor and media fear mongering BS until verified by reputable sources. There is far more information (at this point in time) that nothing has gotten out which wasn't encrypted along with banks, credit card companies and more showing/saying there is no suspected rise in fraud activity.

UK financial services industry

Visa

Online Bank on PSN Hack

Major US Banks on PSN Hack

Wells Fargo, American Express, and MasterCard say there's no unauthorized activity tied to leak

PSN credit card data was encrypted, 'no evidence' it was taken

It's mostly forum posts and websites/media garnering for hits by capitalizing on bold statements that have no confirmable sources in their articles (just like CNET above citing "forum posts"). And yet again (if it was/is true) that's just more confirmation about who ever did this, did not do it for "consumer rights", and does not have our backs...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Apr 2011 @ 13:12

6430.4.2011 13:52

Originally posted by plazma247:
oh the flames.... down tiger.. !!
Haha, cheers Plaz.


@Oner,
yeah, there will be a lot of unsubstantiated media fear mongering going on. But the worst thing is that I doubt that we'll ever get to the bottom of it. The Banks like to keep mum on any infiltrations, for example. Sony pretended it was doing maintenance till it publicly went on for so long that they had to make some sort of statement. (Actually several it seems... some of them conflicting.) By that time the Wall Street Journal seemed to be breathing down their necks.

Maybe Four Corners will do a report someday...

With a bit of luck these hackers don't have a farm of jailbroken PS3s mining the codes yow! lol.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

6530.4.2011 13:55

Just a thunk...

what's Zippy been up to? He's been suspiciously quite of late...

:D


Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

6630.4.2011 21:35

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Just a thunk...

what's Zippy been up to? He's been suspiciously quite of late...

:D
That's a good question. I dunno?

6730.4.2011 23:57

Originally posted by Oner:
Originally posted by Jemborg:
Just a thunk...

what's Zippy been up to? He's been suspiciously quite of late...

:D
That's a good question. I dunno?
Hmmm...

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive