AfterDawn: Tech news

363 million allocated to England and Scotland for improved broadband networks

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 16 Aug 2011 19:33

363 million allocated to England and Scotland for improved broadband networks British Secretary of State for Culture Jeremy Hunt has announced a 363 million investment allocated to improve broadband networks in England and Scotland.
English counties will get the brunt of the investment, 295 million, with Scotland getting the rest.

The investment is part of a wider plan to make sure the UK has the most comprehensive and fastest broadband in Europe by 2015. The goal is for 90 percent of homes to have broadband and minimum 2Mbps.

ISPs like BT and Virgin Media, will be in charge of bringing the broadband to 70 percent of the population and the new government investment will pay for the other 30 percent, which are mainly rural areas.

Additionally, the government has told BT "it must reduce the wholesale price it charges other providers to use its network in less populated areas," says Which.

Previous Next  
Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive