Steve Jobs resigns from Apple

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 24 Aug 2011 18:37 User comments (29)

Steve Jobs resigns from Apple Apple’s Board of Directors have announced that CEO Steve Jobs has resigned his position, and the Board has named Tim Cook, previously Apple’s Chief Operating Officer, as the company’s new CEO.
Jobs has been elected Chairman of the Board and Cook will join the Board, effective immediately.

"I hereby resign as CEO of Apple . I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee," said Jobs.

Apple has had Cook as the next in line for a few years now as Steve Job's health has been in flux.

"Steve’s extraordinary vision and leadership saved Apple and guided it to its position as the world’s most innovative and valuable technology company," added Art Levinson, Chairman of Genentech, and Apple Board member. "Steve has made countless contributions to Apple’s success, and he has attracted and inspired Apple’s immensely creative employees and world class executive team. In his new role as Chairman of the Board, Steve will continue to serve Apple with his unique insights, creativity and inspiration."

"The Board has complete confidence that Tim is the right person to be our next CEO," added Levinson. "Tim’s 13 years of service to Apple have been marked by outstanding performance, and he has demonstrated remarkable talent and sound judgment in everything he does."

124.8.2011 18:47

:O WHOA??! never saw that happening?!?! maybe we will see something different now and get flash *jk* i wish XD

-----
psp1001 w/cfw5.0m33-6
nds w/acekard2 akaio
Wii w/ wiikey original
ps3< is awesome XD
ps2 w/ unknown modchip *srry*

224.8.2011 18:52

I assume his health finally got the better of him. Whether you like him or not, this guy is one of the greatest CEOs ever and brought many new ideas and innovations to the table while also making his company the most valuable tech company in the world.

324.8.2011 18:57

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Jobs family. Despite what the scores of haters think, the man was a true innovator, an outstanding business man and a survivor.

He turned Apple from nothing a decade ago into a company as big as Exxon Mobil.

424.8.2011 20:20

Being familiar myself with the kind of health problems Jobs has now and in the past makes him a real trouper.

Although I do not care for Apple products and their proprietary system you have to give Jobs where credit is due.

Jeff

524.8.2011 20:53

AAPL shares are down 5.07% in after hours trading. QQ

624.8.2011 20:55

Now that they have a new CEO in place, maybe he will look into offering FLASH support on iPhones. Hopefully he's not stubborn like Steve Jobs and will look into offering both options for playing multimedia (Flash and HTML 5).

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Aug 2011 @ 20:55

724.8.2011 21:00

Originally posted by g_slide:
Not with big papa steve still kicking. Just because he's not CEO doesn't mean hes out of the picture, he's probably still very much involved in the company still.

"Cable thief is a victimless crime."

824.8.2011 21:41

Personally I think Steve is a piece of crap that exploits people for profit and who sues the people that he steals from for theft...but he is good at making money...and that is what a CEO should do. However, he is also a happily admitted fascist...and I like free speech.

Still, I expect Apple stock to plummet when the NYSE opens...and for good reason. Everyone still remembers how terrible Apple did before Steve came back.

924.8.2011 22:11

Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:

Jeff
Well Said Jeff

Stupid questions are for google. Learn how to use it, because everyone has a stupid question every now and then.

1024.8.2011 23:14

Is it too soon to say R.I.P. ?

1124.8.2011 23:56

Originally posted by Mysttic:
Is it too soon to say R.I.P. ?

For Apple or for Steve?

1225.8.2011 0:27

LOL c'mon people, Apple is not going away anytime soon. It's a ridiculous notion to think otherwise.

1325.8.2011 0:49

Well, despite that I dislike Steve, but if you really think about it, w/o him there wont be Android. without him, there isn't going to be "tablet's". I have to actually thank him, cuz thanks to him, I prefer Android. thanks to him, I don't have to stick with Crapple products. thanks to him, I don't have to deal with the restriction of his iphone, itunes. thanks to him, there is Android to compete with IOS. Thank you Steve.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Aug 2011 @ 0:51

Being nice always has its own consequences

1425.8.2011 0:59

Maybe apple will take a new approach instead of just waving shiny objects in front of a decisive crowd.

1525.8.2011 1:46

iQuit

1625.8.2011 1:54

Originally posted by Hyasuma:
If you look at the history, Android was already in development when the iPhone was released...so without him there would still be android, it would probably be different in some ways, but it would exist, and the natural competition between the various android phone makers would have push the technology and features just as it has. As for tablets, apple didn't invent them...they just invented the idea of having a small, low-quality tablet that can't run PC apps. Actually, they didn't even invent that...they are being sued by the Chinese company they stole the idea from.

Originally posted by Notcow:
LoL...that is all they have. But to be fair, it works for them. The suckers line up the night before and trample eachother to get their hands on the latest iToy that is only 1/2 as powerful as the competitor's device that came out weeks ago. Apple customers don't want features or performance...they just want the logo. I mean, even WebOS has Flash and it floundered and died before the first 3G devices went on sale...yet people still happily wait in line to get a new iPad that still doesn't support Flash because they are too slow (Steve said that the terrible performance of iDevices is why they don't have flash).

1725.8.2011 3:02

One big failure of Jobs that comes to mind is the Next computer. Great piece that cost Stanford 10k only to become a doorstop within a year. Jobs sure made up for it with rejuvenating Apple.
Jeff

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Aug 2011 @ 3:03

Cars, Guitars & Radiation.

1825.8.2011 6:11

I never did or will miss him......

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

1925.8.2011 7:04

this is how bad this guy wanted an apple computer

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

2025.8.2011 7:49

Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:

Jeff

altho i perfer devices that i have more control on (andriod)

2125.8.2011 8:56

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Originally posted by Hyasuma:

Originally posted by Notcow:
yea, true that, but it wasn't a huge thing until iphone came around, i mean at least i didnt' know it till i had 1st gen of iphone and iphone 3g, then i figured android when i decided to use EVO. I mean I just think that steve made the competition bigger than b4 or else i think android is not going to be what it is right now. But thank u KillerBee!

Being nice always has its own consequences

2225.8.2011 9:40

"yea by taking ideas that were already around at the time.....bringing out new ideas that were already in place (multitasking etc...) the guy is a genius when it came to Marketing.....he made Apple look like a company that had all this new tech and they were the first ones to make it....even tho it has been around a lot longer."

I believe the Apple multithreaded at the time. The Amiga did true multitasking.
Yes he is a marketing guru which I have stated in a previous thread.

Jeff

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Aug 2011 @ 9:41

Cars, Guitars & Radiation.

2325.8.2011 10:04

Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:

I believe the Apple multithreaded at the time. The Amiga did true multitasking.
Yes he is a marketing guru which I have stated in a previous thread.

Jeff
I think that particular rant was referring to when steve jobs made a big deal about adding multitasking to the iphone...long after android had it. I don't remember if he called it "magical" or not...but he did make a really big deal about it almost like it was something that he had invented personally.

...But hey, what else could he have done? It wasn't like he could say, "I was wrong and people do want to multitask, sorry for holding your devices back for such a long time."

2425.8.2011 10:25

I'm not a fan of Apple products but having just seen someone die from Pancreatic Cancer I can guess what this is all about.
I know it's one which is exceptionally rare for there to be a happy ending with.

If so - and there is an 'if' there I guess - then it's a horrible, cruel way to go.
God help the poor sod, all his $ billions mean nothing now.

2525.8.2011 13:07

I don't know SJ, so I don't wish him ill as I too know all about health issues & the burden that can throw on you. For that I wish him no further ill will. Conversely, I abhor his business tactics & fascist ideals regarding technology.

Luckily, living in a democratic country allows me the right to ignore his ideology & technological advancements for another, possibly equal alternative.

I hope his health improves, but I would also hope the next in line will push for more advancement in their technologies rather than the continued stifling atmosphere of the box everyone in Apple is forced to work in.

2625.8.2011 15:35

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:

I believe the Apple multithreaded at the time. The Amiga did true multitasking.
Yes he is a marketing guru which I have stated in a previous thread.

Jeff

this is exactly what i meant ;)

2725.8.2011 21:43

Steve Nojobs resigns and introduces iretire

2830.8.2011 22:20

Originally posted by KillerBug:

To me if was so sneaky and under handed over a lot of stuff that he did, he would be a decent person. An innovator or not, two wrongs in this world don't make a right.

Chance prepares the favored mind. Look up once in a while and you might learn something. - BLUEBOY

2930.8.2011 22:21

Originally posted by KillerBug:

EDIT: sorry, double post

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Aug 2011 @ 22:22