iPhone 4S speed test: Verizon rocks, Sprint sucks

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 15 Oct 2011 0:50 User comments (19)

iPhone 4S speed test: Verizon rocks, Sprint sucks The guys over at iDownloadBlog have put together an unscientific test on the download/browsing speeds of the different iPhone 4S carriers.
What is clear from the video is that Verizon is best browsing experience, AT&T has the quickest raw download speed, and Sprint fails at everything.

Of course, take the video with a grain of salt as it was taken from a single area, where service for each company may not have been "perfect," including the SpeedTest.

Check the video here:

115.10.2011 1:42

As usual this will greatly vary depending on where you live. I'm using the 3GS and used the same speed test app and got a download speed on 1.78 MB a second. Other parts of town 2+.

215.10.2011 1:54

iPhone owners don't care about internet browsing...if they did, they would buy 4G phones.

315.10.2011 7:16

Wow those speeds are pretty bad. I often get around 7-8mbps down on my Sensation. These carriers should be glad T-Mobile didn't get the iPhone.

415.10.2011 9:38

I too have t-mobile, and the iphone 4s even if released wouldn't be a phone I would pay for. Maybe when the 5 is released and the guts inside are a true upgrade. I am happy with my HTC device, and android is okay. It is definitely not as peppy as IOS but still decent. The reason I am piping in however is due to how this video was done... Location will greatly change the results of this non-scientific testing, and the phone which is put in the middle always loses connection. If verizon were put in the middle it would have showed significant decreases as well...

515.10.2011 11:58

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Well the 4Gs claims to get 4G speeds just by repositioning the antennas!
/sarcasm,/bs look

The video could have been 5 minutes long if the Sprint phone wasn't there.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Oct 2011 @ 12:00

615.10.2011 12:56

Originally posted by core2kid:
Originally posted by KillerBug:
Well the 4Gs claims to get 4G speeds just by repositioning the antennas!
/sarcasm,/bs look

The video could have been 5 minutes long if the Sprint phone wasn't there.
Sprint has better service depends where you are at, I agree that it is pretty slow compares to verizon, but they are still working on it. They are changing to LTE by 2012, and the fact that they are way cheaper is a huge plus. When I was in downtown chicago 2 months ago, I did't have such crappy speed like this dude in the video, My speed was 1.21 mbps download, 0.60 upload and 162 ping, this is not even 4g, maybe just because my EVO 3d just kicks Iphone's ass :) lol

Being nice always has its own consequences

715.10.2011 13:42

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Web is all I do and the speeds I get are fine for me. Plus 4G is not available in my neck of the woods anyway so it's a moot point.

815.10.2011 13:58

Yeah where you live can have a huge impact. I used the same speedtest app and I have a constant 5 bar connection with 3+ mbps down and 1.5 upload on my iphone where I live, which is sufficient enough for me now.

"Cable thief is a victimless crime."

915.10.2011 22:33
UDontKnowAnything
Unverified new user

Originally posted by KillerBug:
you know 4G speeds barely affect browsing at all. Ive seen the ip4 load pages faster than a Bionic on LTE. Its mainly for d-loading apps and streaming vids...just another ignorant fanboy.

1016.10.2011 17:57

i dont care about the "fastest" speed. Im not gonna download a 400MB file, on my phone, and as long as web pages take a very short time, i dont care. Most of my downloading is done at home, or over wifi.

an i am still going to dump att and moving to sprint.

1117.10.2011 0:42

"i like"

Originally posted by 1nsan3:

an i am still going to dump att and moving to sprint.

Being nice always has its own consequences

1217.10.2011 0:56

I have an evo 4g running synergy rom with v6 supercharge on chop suey kernel. My phone is super fast. I have wireless n enabled and can tether 4g to my laptop wireless or usb for free. The iphone doesn't compare to it. Bottom line, all the added crap the iphone 4s got has been available on android for about a year or so. Plus I gett the added benefit of not having my wool shaved off every year for having an iphone.

Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S.T.

1317.10.2011 1:58
neilguo

i like iphone 4s

1417.10.2011 2:01

Originally posted by neilguo:
i like iphone 4s
That makes one...

1517.10.2011 14:00

Originally posted by neilguo:
i like iphone 4s

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

1623.10.2011 11:23

I really don't give a flying flip about who is faster at downloading a webpage. I want a damn phone that will make a simple phone call without dropping it like a hot potato. Everybody is so caught up in making my phone more like a computer, they forgot I WANT A PHONE!!

1728.10.2011 5:22

Originally posted by Burnasty:

Hey dude how did you enable wireless "N"? I can't figure that out for the life of me. I;m rooted though.

1821.2.2012 20:32
Mike d
Unverified new user

Lmao I had to turn wifi on my sprint iPhone just to watch and have web page load up.

1918.3.2012 5:55
djjr
Unverified new user

Originally posted by Mike d:

me too all the time actually. sprint does kinda suck. Im in idaho southern...Yeah my jailbroken tmobile phones were always at least as fast as sprint. That was in tacoma wa, but i will say some times sprint is speedy. The manager, local school dude, jailbreaker and rooter (me to) told me sprints towers were down in my area. LOL funny cuz he sold me my phone 2 weeks before he told me the damn thing, and he dident say anything then. SPRINT is LYING!