AfterDawn: Tech news

AT&T begins throttling heavy mobile data bandwidth users

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 08 Dec 2011 15:52 User comments (19)

AT&T begins throttling heavy mobile data bandwidth users Months after warning users, AT&T has now begun throttling data speeds for heavy users.
If you are, according to AT&T, in the top 5 percent of all users, you are likely to see your speeds reduced into the end of the billing cycle.

The new rule affects only users with unlimited plans, as everyone else is already on a tiered plan.

Without giving an exact figure, AT&T says top 5 percent users normally consumer "12 times as much traffic as the average customer." I take that to mean over 10GB, but it is unclear what figures AT&T uses. It is estimated Apple users consumer 800MB per month.

AT&T was recently rated dead last for carriers in the annual Consumer Reports satisfaction survey.

Tags: bandwidth AT&T
Previous Next

Related news

 

19 user comments

18.12.2011 17:20

Well.........these users need to get a social life and stream less on their phones.

28.12.2011 17:55

If you offer an unlimited plan, then quit whining about the use it gets. Something for nothings or Maximize the minimum business models are a way of the 70/80s & need to die & so do the A-holes (and their first/second born) that invented them. Step up to the plate, create technology to compete, thrive or die. It was part of the industrial revolution, it helped make a country great & got us to the moon.

Quit this stagnation crap & get on with living and quit trying to find a new Dark Ages. We're already seeing how Wall Street & corporations have been partying like the Marque de Sade & the MPAA/RIAA have been behaving like the Spanish Inquisition so let's everyone find our balls, dust off the old guillotine and get back to work.


38.12.2011 19:04
onwittheshow
Unverified new user

In a less then 24hours time period I received two message one saying I'm getting close to being the top 5% then the other one saying I am in the top 5%. My billing cycle is in the 6th day and I have only used 2GB of data. Well I called to complain because this is not right. I have an unlimited amount of data and do not pay for it to be slowed down, especially when the highest one you can buy is 4GB and they aren't being slowed down. So people with 4GB don't get slowed down because they aren't part of the unlimited data issue. When I called to voice my distaste for this the lady informed me that they figure out if you are in the top 5% based on the other data users in your area. I work in a warehouse district and there are not a lot of smart phones in this area. Also I reside in Southern California which I am guessing has a high number of smart phones. Why am I paying for unlimited just to be throttled at 2GB when someone with 4GB gets to have full speed since they are paying 45 dollars and I'm paying 20. I was also told I can't leave a complaint that if I would like to complain about the throttling to send a letter to: AT&T Mobility P.O Box 60017 Los Angeles CA 90060 I wouldn't have this much of an issue if instead AT&T gave unlimited people an allowance of say 10GB before slowing down our speed. To be slowed down at just 2GB is ridiculous. I really do suggest other unlimited users write a letter to AT&T to know how upsetting this is and we should not be punished because they expanded to quickly and couldn't handle it.

49.12.2011 0:06

get Sprint and be done.



59.12.2011 5:01

...or if you live anywhere on the east side of the country, get T-Mobile for better service that Sprint or AT&T at a lower cost. Sure, they will throttle your 4G after 2GB...but it will still be 3G speed.



69.12.2011 11:27

As much as I dislike AT&Ts line of smartphones. There are a lot of benefits for GSM especially for me since I travel to different countries frequently. IM grandfathered into an unlimited plan so I will give their LTE network a shot but if my 4G is throttled halfway through the month I will think of going to T mobile or Verizon a look.


"Cable thief is a victimless crime."

79.12.2011 11:31

I have the (mis)fortunate problem of having been grandfathered in under Verizon's original unlimited plan. I don't use exorbitant amounts of data given certain months (yet), but anything could change; meaning I don't know what they would do to as far as throttling is concerned.

If they are as insensitive as AT&T (and I assume they are) I'm w/ Jooky & go with Sprint, but they're not that great a service in my area. That may change as their propaganda has stated they're stepping up their towers & tech all the place, so we'll see.

On a non-related issue - by the looks of KB's 'inactive' status, it sounds like he 'had a moment' & flew off the handle? Hope he's not in trouble.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Dec 2011 @ 11:34

89.12.2011 11:34

Originally posted by LordRuss:
I have the (mis)fortunate problem of having been grandfathered in under Verizon's original unlimited plan. I don't use exorbitant amounts of data given certain months (yet), but anything could change; meaning I don't know what they would do to as far as throttling is concerned.

If they are as insensitive as AT&T (and I assume they are) I'm w/ Jooky & go with Sprint, but their not that great a service in my area.

On a non-related issue - by the looks of KB's 'inactive' status, it sounds like he 'had a moment' & flew off the handle? Hope he's not in trouble.
Nah, he must have just had a really old email linked to AD but our systems require an active email for the account to stay alive. Once he updates it, he'll be back.

99.12.2011 11:40

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Nah, he must have just had a really old email linked to AD but our systems require an active email for the account to stay alive. Once he updates it, he'll be back.
WHooooo... I know some of us can get a bit vocal or snarky & he & I kind of have a crowd gathered at times. I just thought I was next!!!

109.12.2011 14:27

Even Sprint, who likes touting they still offer an unlimited data plan, says in their disclaimers that they may throttle bandwidth at will...and not just for heavy usage.

119.12.2011 17:14

Originally posted by xnonsuchx:
Even Sprint, who likes touting they still offer an unlimited data plan, says in their disclaimers that they may throttle bandwidth at will...and not just for heavy usage.
McDonalds (or any establishment for that matter) states that they can refuse service for any reason for that matter, but it would be in their best interests to have an above sane rational for not continuing said service. Obviously they can use abuse as their contingency, but as equally stated before; if a customer has paid for unlimited access don't bitch about the amount used.

it's like a guy going to an "all you can eat" buffet & then eating through both the lunch and dinner settings. We all read the sign & the cashier took his money, so don't complain. Otherwise, refuse the service "prior" to taking the money, not after the fact.

1210.12.2011 16:37

Originally posted by onwittheshow:
In a less then 24hours time period I received two message one saying I'm getting close to being the top 5% then the other one saying I am in the top 5%. My billing cycle is in the 6th day and I have only used 2GB of data. Well I called to complain because this is not right. I have an unlimited amount of data and do not pay for it to be slowed down, especially when the highest one you can buy is 4GB and they aren't being slowed down. So people with 4GB don't get slowed down because they aren't part of the unlimited data issue. When I called to voice my distaste for this the lady informed me that they figure out if you are in the top 5% based on the other data users in your area. I work in a warehouse district and there are not a lot of smart phones in this area. Also I reside in Southern California which I am guessing has a high number of smart phones. Why am I paying for unlimited just to be throttled at 2GB when someone with 4GB gets to have full speed since they are paying 45 dollars and I'm paying 20. I was also told I can't leave a complaint that if I would like to complain about the throttling to send a letter to: AT&T Mobility P.O Box 60017 Los Angeles CA 90060 I wouldn't have this much of an issue if instead AT&T gave unlimited people an allowance of say 10GB before slowing down our speed. To be slowed down at just 2GB is ridiculous. I really do suggest other unlimited users write a letter to AT&T to know how upsetting this is and we should not be punished because they expanded to quickly and couldn't handle it.
I whole heartedly agree that it is ridiculous to be slowed down at just 2GB. However, I feel the need to say I am on the 2 GB plan and it is not very fast to begin with. If blazing fast speeds are available in Europe, Japan, Australia, as well as many third world countries, why can it not be available in the US as well?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Dec 2011 @ 16:41

1310.12.2011 23:40

do you know how much it cost for blazing fast speeds in australia thats providing you live in the metro area.japan use to be a world leader in technology,depending on where you at in europe speeds would be up and down.my connection speed is up to 20mbph and i pay $60 a month for internet with up to 200gbs of download then my speed is slowed down to 1mbps and yes im in australia.if i wanted to get a cable internet connection i'd be paying about $200 a month (probably more) plus set up fees for faster speeds.

personally think the average american with internet pays about 50% of what we pay for internet and has double the speed.

there was a lady in mcdonalds that rang the cops cause she gave the cashier money for 6chicken nuggets and the cashier took the money then said they are out of chicken nuggets and refused to give her a refund.

think if your paying for unlimited and they said your connection will be at a set speed they should provide that speed regardless of how much you do and dont use.


custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

1411.12.2011 0:40

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
personally think the average american with internet pays about 50% of what we pay for internet and has double the speed.
I have the 20mb plan with Mediacom & with digital cable I'm being fleeced for about $150 a month. I'll guarantee you the television portion isn't much over $60-$70 because I don't have any movie packages. So it's all wrapped up in the anal flossing called my internet provisions.

1511.12.2011 2:55

Originally posted by LordRuss:
Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
personally think the average american with internet pays about 50% of what we pay for internet and has double the speed.
I have the 20mb plan with Mediacom & with digital cable I'm being fleeced for about $150 a month. I'll guarantee you the television portion isn't much over $60-$70 because I don't have any movie packages. So it's all wrapped up in the anal flossing called my internet provisions.
i dont pay tv.if i wanted pay tv it would be minimum extra $60 a month plus extra to watch latest movies on demand.think telstra here have plans starting from about $120 a month for pay tv and internet.we have free to air digital tv which has about 15 or so channels.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

1620.1.2012 15:24
Vaughn1
Unverified new user

*** MUST READ ***

I URGE EVERYBODY TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE FCC. THEY WILL EXAMINE IF THERE IS A POLICY VIOLATION ON UNLIMITED PLANS REGARDING BANDWIDTH THROTTLING. EVERY COMPLAINT HAS TO BE ANSWERED IN WRITING BY AT&T IN WRITING WITHIN 45 DAYS. PHONE 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-8888-225-5322).

1720.1.2012 15:51

Originally posted by LordRuss:
If you offer an unlimited plan, then quit whining about the use it gets. Something for nothings or Maximize the minimum business models are a way of the 70/80s & need to die & so do the A-holes (and their first/second born) that invented them. Step up to the plate, create technology to compete, thrive or die. It was part of the industrial revolution, it helped make a country great & got us to the moon.

Quit this stagnation crap & get on with living and quit trying to find a new Dark Ages. We're already seeing how Wall Street & corporations have been partying like the Marque de Sade & the MPAA/RIAA have been behaving like the Spanish Inquisition so let's everyone find our balls, dust off the old guillotine and get back to work.
While I agree with you to an extent..............you seem to have lost focus of the critical and practical point here grasshopper.............."Abuse". ATT's intentions of "unlimited" were before Super smartphones and before 4G and.........as only the TOP 5% ARE CLEARLY SHOWING..........take the "average" user into account with their business plan.

So you have seemingly lost your way and shown yourself to be a black/white, right/wrong, yes/no thinker with little ability to interpret that "grey" area that is so needed when catering to hundreds upon hundreds of millions of free thinking, abusive, greedy and irrational people. Thank God I'm not one of them but you should check yourself regarding your thought process on this. Those 5% were no doubt accounted for when offering "unlimited" and now their abuse and irresponsibility are biting them in the ass.

Good for ATT. Verizon, T-Mobile and all others should do the same. Be reasonable I say!

Remember..........."freedom of speech" doesn't mean one can cry FIRE in a crowded theatre or make verbal threats to others.

As for your "all you can eat" analogy......which I KNEW you'd use........all you can eat assumes that the AVERAGE person will not eat EVERY LAST PIECE OF FOOD ON THE BUFFET. It also doesn't allow food to be taken home.....even though they don't openly forbid that. Common sense.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Jan 2012 @ 15:58

1820.1.2012 16:03

Originally posted by hearme0:
Originally posted by LordRuss:
If you offer an unlimited plan, then quit whining about the use it gets. Something for nothings or Maximize the minimum business models are a way of the 70/80s & need to die & so do the A-holes (and their first/second born) that invented them. Step up to the plate, create technology to compete, thrive or die. It was part of the industrial revolution, it helped make a country great & got us to the moon.

Quit this stagnation crap & get on with living and quit trying to find a new Dark Ages. We're already seeing how Wall Street & corporations have been partying like the Marque de Sade & the MPAA/RIAA have been behaving like the Spanish Inquisition so let's everyone find our balls, dust off the old guillotine and get back to work.
While I agree with you to an extent..............you seem to have lost focus of the critical and practical point here grasshopper.............."Abuse". ATT's intentions of "unlimited" were before Super smartphones and before 4G and.........as only the TOP 5% ARE CLEARLY SHOWING..........take the "average" user into account with their business plan.

So you have seemingly lost your way and shown yourself to be a black/white, right/wrong, yes/no thinker with little ability to interpret that "grey" area that is so needed when catering to hundreds upon hundreds of millions of free thinking, abusive, greedy and irrational people. Thank God I'm not one of them but you should check yourself regarding your thought process on this. Those 5% were no doubt accounted for when offering "unlimited" and now their abuse and irresponsibility are biting them in the ass.

Good for ATT. Verizon, T-Mobile and all others should do the same. Be reasonable I say!

Remember..........."freedom of speech" doesn't mean one can cry FIRE in a crowded theatre or make verbal threats to others.

As for your "all you can eat" analogy......which I KNEW you'd use........all you can eat assumes that the AVERAGE person will not eat EVERY LAST PIECE OF FOOD ON THE BUFFET. It also doesn't allow food to be taken home.....even though they don't openly forbid that. Common sense.
I think you and all others should try this........"empathy". Put yourself in the shoes of the business owner. What would YOU do if a small section of a customer base was consuming the vast majority of the resources you offered by abusing the LITERAL sense of your original offer you provided based on the "average user"? Would you take the hit financially?? Would you tell your other customers "sorry but the service sucks because a small section are disproportionately consuming most of our resources and we won't reneg on our original offer" or would you make the necessary adjustments to create a more equal playing field and establish a fairness??

You say ANYTHING but the latter and you should never ever ever go into business for yourself because you'll fail.


Oooops....sorry..replied to my own when I thought I edited it.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Jan 2012 @ 16:04

1920.1.2012 16:36

Originally posted by hearme0:
While I agree with you to an extent..............you seem to have lost focus of the critical and practical point here grasshopper.............."Abuse". ATT's intentions of "unlimited" were before Super smartphones and before 4G and.........as only the TOP 5% ARE CLEARLY SHOWING..........take the "average" user into account with their business plan.

As for your "all you can eat" analogy......which I KNEW you'd use........all you can eat assumes that the AVERAGE person will not eat EVERY LAST PIECE OF FOOD ON THE BUFFET. It also doesn't allow food to be taken home.....even though they don't openly forbid that. Common sense.
Well... I certainly didn't want to "Romney up" on the topic for sure. It may very well have seemed that way... I do like to play Devil's Advocate on occasion, however, in maintaining 'your' ability to cohabitate with 'common sense'; mine's dong just fine. And you are absolutely right. I did in fact forget to include ABUSE.

But to rebut, I have been slammed more than just a few times for having been quite the wordy bitch in my forum appearances. So, no I haven't lost my way. Just to have explained every subtle nuance would be smarmy, a**hole-ish & targeted me as being a know-it-all again & I'm too old to get into a pissing-of-the-shoes-free-for-all again.

As I can agree with you in the subtleties of the bulk of your statements, I differ with your analogy that I'm 180 degree polar opposite on everything. Black/white, yes/no, you get the idea... It's called subjecting the reader to destructive grey area.

I know, I know, you & a few others reading this right now are crying bullshit at the top of your lungs, while a couple of prior military are in the know. Here's how & you didn't even know it.

One, your clairvoyance may have somehow told you I was going to use the smorgasbord example, but you seem to have selectively forgotten that it is indeed illegal and common knowledge that you CANNOT leave the establishment with food. Once you're finished you leave with no further dining then when you enter. Besides, I did comment on the abusive 5%-ers elsewhere. I figured It would have been read, thus "blathering idiot" would rear its ugly head.

Your freedom of speech quote? Brilliant, well stated. Not necessary, but poignantly taken from an individual who has already quoted it multiple times to his subjects prior to your birth.

Now... Ready? Destructive grey area... How do you take a man, who is staunchly against the killing of another, and convince him that killing another is still a good thing? Just another of my many jobs in the military. So cry over a bowl of puppy shit and talk to me about EMPATHY sir. I too have run a business & failed for reasons not that you may gloat.

It's easy to conjure 3 syllable words from a dictionary, talk of losing sight, but yet you contradict yourself by defending a company that was going to monopolize the cellular industry not 90days ago.

So yeah, I might have skipped out on a couple of details while I was blathering about a-holes getting cut out of their unlimited contracts. So sue me. Like you never got a roll.

How about you quit whining & help an old codger out & fill in the gaps instead of attempting to gain "king of pissant mountain" or something. And you'll pardon me if I don't take even a modicum of business advice from someone who doesn't follow the advice of the business' he frequents.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Jan 2012 @ 16:52

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive