Rihanna is the top selling digital artist, ever

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 08 Jan 2012 2:57 User comments (13)

Rihanna is the top selling digital artist, ever According to Nielsen's 2011 year-end stats, Rihanna has become the top-selling digital artist of all-time.
The Grammy-award winning singer has released six albums and 27 singles since debuting in 2005, making her one of the more prolific musicians of this generation.

Furthermore, Rihanna has produced 20 Hot 100 top-10 singles in the quickest time ever, beating out Madonna.

The full list (via EW):

Artist (downloads)
1. Rihanna (47,571,000)
2. Black Eyed Peas (42,405,000)
3. Eminem (42,290,000)
4. Lady Gaga (42,078,000)
5. Taylor Swift (41,821,000)
6. Katy Perry (37,620,00)
7. Lil Wayne (36,788,000)
8. Beyonce (30,439,000)
9. Kanye West (30,242,000)
10. Britney Spears (28,665,000)

18.1.2012 3:27

Holy crap, every single one of those top 10 are just awful musicians. Their just terrible.

Carpe Noctem

28.1.2012 4:11

Yes, what a sad list. Kanye west, ulch.

38.1.2012 4:51

People nowadays have awful taste in music.

48.1.2012 6:33

I really have to wonder how that list is how it is. Of the ten, I've only been able to listen to two, and of those two, I actively listen to neither.

The subject of musical preference is touchy, certainly, everyone's a bit different in their thinking of what's good and what isn't; but I honestly can't wrap my brain around the concept of any of these artists being the top list of any person who listens to music.

Perhaps those without the capacity to try before they buy are the brunt of those millions of sales? I know I don't buy an album without downloading it first to see if it's up my alley (And for the record I do buy a fair amount of music, I think. Eleven albums this past year, if I'm remembering correctly.), but I picture those without the knowledge or patience to do so fit squarely within these artists' respective demographics. How many of those forty-two million would be able to bring themselves to purchase a Black Eyed Peas CD after being subjected to it beforehand?
Food for thought.

Anyway, on a largely unrelated note, it's quite satisfying to see Kanye near the bottom of a list, because you know it's going to rile that jerk up; even if it's the bottom of a "Top" list.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Jan 2012 @ 6:34

58.1.2012 11:59

im a fan of rihanna and eminem.lady gags first 2 songs were catchy then they got worse everytime she made a new song.little wayne sounds like hes brain damage,dont have a clue how he even got popular.britney spears doesnt even sing she just talks into a microphone and autotunes the hell out off it.taylor swift and katy perry arnt that bad.can't stand beyonce and kanye west is like a bad joke that keeps getting worse.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

68.1.2012 13:05

That's the key, not a damn one of them are musicians. Perhaps sans the Black Eyed Peas & Lady Gaga. Other than that they are all performers, nothing else. I'd probably say 50% of them write their own material & the rest do a lot of sitting on their asses eating a ton of wish sandwiches & dancing at the end of strings.

I'm not exactly saying that music is dead, but its resurrection is sure taking a slow, back sliding, ugly recovery.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Jan 2012 @ 13:05

78.1.2012 14:34

Originally posted by LordRuss:

And by Black Eyed Peas you mean Will.I.Am and his backup singers. Add Lil Wayne and Kanye West to that list. They've all been writing their own music and music for others for years before they became popular.

88.1.2012 14:57

Originally posted by Azuran:
Indeed I did mean Will. As for Wayne & Kanye, I'm not at all familiar with their, we'll call it work.

Frankly I can't begrudge all these people completely, as they are all getting paid to some degree or another. Despite the fact they are virtually complete puppets of the industry. Again, with a completely unconfirmed couple of exceptions.

98.1.2012 16:23

I don't care so much if they are puppets of the industry or not. I do care if the industry is contributing or detracting from their artistic endeavors. It appears that artistic merit has been waning for years now.

1010.1.2012 8:47

Congrat RiRi. SHE IS THE BEST SINGER OF THE WORLD!

"Talk That Talk" her last album is all the things a great pop album should be; fun, sexy, well-produced, well-written and surprisingly lean (there's really not much filler).

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Jan 2012 @ 8:48

1110.1.2012 10:55

Damn I miss the 80's, Motley Crue, Duran Duran... those were (wait - are!) artists not this crap today! Out of 4,000 songs on my music player, I can honestly say I only have one song from one of those artists above (Eminem - Lose Yourself).

1210.1.2012 11:57

Despite the Rihanna #1 song.........the #2 just goes to show that the general simpleton public has terrible taste.

Black Eyed Peas ANYTHING is horrid!

Such a talentless group.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Jan 2012 @ 11:57

1310.1.2012 14:06

Originally posted by harhumph:
You know you're old when the hair bands you used to roadie for are on the classic rock stations and the guys you mentored under are the ones that roadied for the bands that are on the oldies stations...

I don't know what the hell the stations are called for the guys they mentored under... Stuff for the 60s was coming of age. Stuff for the 50s was "we're figuring it out". Stuff for the 40's was "we don't need amplification".

My generation was, "What!?!"

Latest news

A bug in Chrome allows you to download Netflix movies A bug in Chrome allows you to download Netflix movies (25 Jun 2016 15:21)
A group of security researchers have found a vulnerability in Google's Chrome browser that allows downloading movies straight from Netflix. This is obviously not a feature especially the entertainment ....
Three out of four Netflix customers would rather cancel than watch ads Three out of four Netflix customers would rather cancel than watch ads (25 Jun 2016 14:05)
For a long time Netflix was adamant on its pricing. No changes were made for a long time and everything seemed to be good. The markets obviously reacted and more expensive deals and original ....
Apple Music left in the dust, Spotify at 100 million subscribers Apple Music left in the dust, Spotify at 100 million subscribers (25 Jun 2016 12:01)
Spotify has told The Telegraph that it has surpassed the 100 million mark in subscribers. Paying subscribers was earlier this year reported to have passed 30 million. Apple meanwhile is having ....
Rumor has it that Apple has cancelled iPhone's dual camera Rumor has it that Apple has cancelled iPhone's dual camera (18 Jun 2016 18:05)
The next iPhone will be a major upgrade to current iPhone 6s. This biyearly full upgrade cycle provides us with a bigger upgrade every two years. But how will Apple update its number one product, ....
OnePlus releases new flagship killer, smaller X discontinued OnePlus releases new "flagship killer", smaller X discontinued (18 Jun 2016 16:11)
The small Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus took the world by storm two years ago by releasing a super cheap flagship smartphone. They called it the flagship killer, and it indeed challenged ....