Study: Torrents have no effect on the U.S. box office

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 14 Feb 2012 22:00 User comments (12)

Study: Torrents have no effect on the U.S. box office Thanks to a new academic paper from researchers at the University of Minnesota and Wellesley College, the world has more evidence that piracy via torrents has no real effect on the U.S. movie box office.
Internationally, however, downloads and revenue were more correlated, and the researchers blamed delayed release windows for that phenomenon.

Continues the report: "We find that longer release windows are associated with decreased box office returns, even after controlling for film and country fixed effects. This relationship is much stronger in contexts where piracy is more prevalent: after BitTorrent?s adoption and in heavily pirated genres."

"Our findings indicate that, as a lower bound, international box office returns in our sample were at least 7 percent lower than they would have been in the absence of pre-release piracy."

Unlike the MPAA's claims, however, the report says piracy has no profound effect on the U.S. box office

Related news

114.2.2012 22:14
llongtheD

"In their paper, called 'Reel Piracy: The Effect of Online Film Piracy on International Box Office Sales," the researchers concluded that "the longer it takes before a movie is released internationally, the more box office revenues are impacted through piracy," says TF.

Am I wrong, or do these big media companies want to be portrayed as "victims?" With companies like Warner Bros. doubling the dvd release window, it almost seems as if their inviting piracy.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Feb 2012 @ 22:15

214.2.2012 22:24

It took a presitigious university like this to state the obvious????

Hello, Washington DC, Anybody listening????

314.2.2012 22:25

The real piracy is the corporate welfare state stealing from the poor and middle class and giving it to the super wealthy....Talk about piracy.

414.2.2012 22:42
llongtheD

Originally posted by ivymike:
Your spot on with that. No one even questions the trillions being stolen by banks along with other U.S. corporations, but by god don't pirate a video!
And no ivymike, no one is listening to you; unless you can set up a 10,000 dollar a plate "fundraising" dinner for them.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Feb 2012 @ 22:53

515.2.2012 10:53

Is it me or do the quotes from such a school sound like a load of pretentious shit? I'm all for proving the alphabet Nazis wrong & exposing them for the hypocrites they've always been, but the smarmyness has to go.

Granted, coming off like a bunch of whiny kids wanting to stay out late & not getting their way doesn't come across well in a room full of conceited, condescending, elitist snots, hell bent on literally ruling the world unless you sound like you have an intelligent head on your shoulders.

My problem with scholastica is they take 6-9 months to work their verbiage up for their 'game'. Alphabet Nazis will call their bluff instantaneously & expect an answer just as quick, thus ending said 'game'. Kind of like breaking their 'word' geek out of the box when they need it.

What does this mean? Just like everything else in Hollywood a show goes on & everybody looses sight of the facts. Nazis will start trying to burn the books of the Fact folks buy sucking them into a 'Big Word' game & we all never see them sneaking the elephant into the room.

615.2.2012 11:30

And yet the U.S. gov. will spend billions to fight the piracy?

715.2.2012 13:26

Ummmm........I don't recall Hollywood SPECIFICALLY bitching about loss of sales at the box office as much as loss of DVD/Blu-ray sales.

815.2.2012 13:59

Originally posted by hearme0:
Let's not start a pissing contest here... I was being dramatic & using artistic license to speak metaphorically. You've never said bug instead of spider on occasion?

Besides, in the whole huge mess of this where does most of the music & movie industry reside? Not to mention it's still a bunch of the 'in theater to DVD' rip offs or screeners that Hollywood's also bitching about.

So who do you really think is at the bottom of the biggest portion of the whole 'copyright infringement' or 'piracy' squall festival? I'm not seeing a huge wave of librarians, screen writers or typesetters hitting the courtrooms.

I shouldn't have to ask you anyway. You of all people are probably as educated on this if not more. Stop being gauche.

915.2.2012 14:24

Originally posted by LordRuss:
Originally posted by hearme0:

Didn't reply to yours rather, commented on article. And it's not splitting hairs. It's a legitimate complaint they have about the "box office" (movie theatre ticket sales) being hindered. Not that it's a VALID one but legit yes.........vs being a legit complaint about DVD sales or movie sales.

Ease off and stay objective as well as pragmatic old timer!

My point simply being that those two are indeed TOTALLY AND EMPHATICALLY different.

My other point being that box office sales have NEVER EVER EVER been hurt from piracy......even those loser jagoffs that telesync the movies theatres and are content with watching a cam of a movie rather than actually paying to see a big screen, clearly visible one.

None-the-less..........I get ya. I'm 99% on the same page as you regarding.........well.........pretty much everything here. I just get banned all the time and my comments and time in the past 10 years is never recognized because my name keeps changing. I'm being good now though.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Feb 2012 @ 14:30

1015.2.2012 14:50

And like other reports that isn't sponsored by the MPAA, this will be tossed out the window before it gets the recognition it deserves to be taken seriously by all forms of government, and not just in US.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Feb 2012 @ 14:50

1115.2.2012 15:26

Originally posted by hearme0:
Didn't reply to yours rather, commented on article. ..........
Ease off and stay objective as well as pragmatic old timer!

Not looking to get you banned, not am I looking to get banned either. God (or deity of preference) knows I have set a few records for being tossed out on my ears/rears.

And yes, to get on your band wagon, you too are correct. Piracy between the box off sales & post - Brick & mortar sales have absolutely no relevance to one another.

However, my objectivity? If the folks doing their damnedest to rob 'us' of our rights get to be vague & off target & use a blanket term as Piracy as their catch all, I figure I can use Hollywood as 'mine' (no sense in lumping the rest of the world in my madness).

Seems we're on the same goal, or am I incorrect in that assessment too?

1216.2.2012 12:01

Originally posted by LordRuss:
Originally posted by hearme0:
Didn't reply to yours rather, commented on article. ..........
Ease off and stay objective as well as pragmatic old timer!

Seems we're on the same goal, or am I incorrect in that assessment too?
Nope.....same for sure!

Latest news

Plex now available for PS3, PS4 with limitations Plex now available for PS3, PS4 with limitations (17 Dec 2014 22:56)
A little over a month after Plex released an app for the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, the personal media streaming company has released apps for the PS3 and PS4.
U.S. to blame North Korea for Sony Pictures hack U.S. to blame North Korea for Sony Pictures hack (17 Dec 2014 21:52)
According to numerous media outlets, U.S. government officials will announce tomorrow that North Korea was indeed behind the devastating hack on Sony Pictures.
1 user comment
Sony has no plans to ever release 'The Interview' - no DVD, Blu-ray, no VOD, no TV Sony has no plans to ever release 'The Interview' - no DVD, Blu-ray, no VOD, no TV (17 Dec 2014 20:30)
Sony Pictures has now decided against ever releasing 'The Interview' in any form, almost guaranteeing themselves a $100 million loss on the film.
Nearly everyone in Hollywood is outraged by Sony and the movie theater chain's 'act of cowardice' in canceling 'The Interview' Nearly everyone in Hollywood is outraged by Sony and the movie theater chain's 'act of cowardice' in canceling 'The Interview' (17 Dec 2014 20:00)
Following news that all the major U.S. movie theater chains would not be showing 'The Interview,' Sony Pictures announced it was canceling the release of the film, which was slated to open on Christmas in the U.S.
1 user comment
The hackers win: Sony cancels release of 'The Interview' as movie theaters bail The hackers win: Sony cancels release of 'The Interview' as movie theaters bail (17 Dec 2014 19:39)
Just hours after major U.S. theater chains said they would not screen the film following terrorists threats, Sony has canceled the release of 'The Interview,' a comedy in which Seth Rogen and James Franco are sent to North Korea to assassinate Kim Jo