AfterDawn: Tech news

The Raspberry Pi is finally here

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 29 Feb 2012 13:11 User comments (13)

The Raspberry Pi is finally here The highly-anticipated $35 mini-computer, the Raspberry Pi, is finally here and available for sale although both current sellers have seen such overwhelming demand that you will likely have to wait a while to receive yours.
Reads the press statement:

Six years after the project's inception, we're nearly at the end of our first run of development although it's just the beginning of the Raspberry Pi story. Now we start developing educational tools and initiatives, at the same time as continuing research and development on Raspberry Pi hardware.

Although we are still waiting for units to arrive from China, you can start buying the Raspberry Pi today. We have entered into licensed manufacture partnerships with two British companies, Premier Farnell and RS Components. They'll be manufacturing and distributing the devices on behalf of the Raspberry Pi Foundation, and handling the distribution of our first batches as they arrive in the country. The Foundation continues to make a small profit from each Raspberry Pi sold, which we'll be putting straight back into the charity.


The Raspberry Pi is a mini-computer created by UK programmers. What makes the computer so impressive (besides its price tag) is the fact that it can play 1080p HD video with no issues. The devices are intended to promote the teaching of basic computer science in schools or at home. The company is looking to promote the Python programming language, alongside Basic and C among others.

For $35 you get a 3.3-inch wide board with a 700 MHz ARM11, 256MB RAM, HDMI-out, SD card slot, a USB port, ethernet, audio jack and Broadcom VideoCore IV GPU.

You can submit interest (or purchase if there are any still left) here: Element14 or RS-Online

Previous Next  

13 user comments

129.2.2012 14:02

I would buy this, but the company is based in england so I'm holding my ground, any country who would knowingly ban a person on false premises will not get my hard earned money, period. Seems like a great concept, and would probably be great to run linux under but I just can't do it.


Custom Computer rebuild 2.80GHZ@6cores/8GBRAM|3DS | WII|360|PS3|

229.2.2012 20:31

Originally posted by WW3:
I would buy this, but the company is based in england so I'm holding my ground, any country who would knowingly ban a person on false premises will not get my hard earned money, period. Seems like a great concept, and would probably be great to run linux under but I just can't do it.
ban someone? what are you talking about?

329.2.2012 22:04

Originally posted by Kannz:
Originally posted by WW3:
I would buy this, but the company is based in england so I'm holding my ground, any country who would knowingly ban a person on false premises will not get my hard earned money, period. Seems like a great concept, and would probably be great to run linux under but I just can't do it.
ban someone? what are you talking about?


this


Custom Computer rebuild 2.80GHZ@6cores/8GBRAM|3DS | WII|360|PS3|

41.3.2012 7:47

So what if they are based in UK? Its not like the Raspberry Pi Foundation have anything to do with banning people from the country. If I had some extra cash I would get a few of them. I don't know what I'd do with them but I'm sure it would be fun to play with.

51.3.2012 12:18

Originally posted by WW3:
Originally posted by Kannz:
Originally posted by WW3:
I would buy this, but the company is based in england so I'm holding my ground, any country who would knowingly ban a person on false premises will not get my hard earned money, period. Seems like a great concept, and would probably be great to run linux under but I just can't do it.
ban someone? what are you talking about?


this

Michael Savage is a far left wing infantile tool of spin. It doesn't take more than a 6th grade education to see how the man manipulates people 'into' acts of volatile behavior due to his ability to spin/manipulate their words into bile manners of hatred & loathing. I.e., basically take your birth name & turn it against you.

He claims he hates the media, idiot public & yet slimes it up with the best of them and profiteers from it by the boat loads. He says he holds peoples feet to the flames & yet cries when the same is called of him. He asks "what have you done", when in fact he has done nothing... He sits on his fat ass & pushes a button to hang up on callers just like a child burning ant with the magnifying glass; all under the guise of 'ratings'.

If Britain doesn't want him, they don't have to. Not to mention, they reserve the right to refuse service to whomever they choose. No Raspberry Pi for him.

I'll still take 2... Please & thank you. See? No childish name calling or bravado. Of course I'll probably have to wait an eon & a half to get it...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Mar 2012 @ 12:23

63.3.2012 0:24

Originally posted by LordRuss:
Originally posted by WW3:
Originally posted by Kannz:
Originally posted by WW3:
I would buy this, but the company is based in england so I'm holding my ground, any country who would knowingly ban a person on false premises will not get my hard earned money, period. Seems like a great concept, and would probably be great to run linux under but I just can't do it.
ban someone? what are you talking about?


this

Michael Savage is a far left wing infantile tool of spin. It doesn't take more than a 6th grade education to see how the man manipulates people 'into' acts of volatile behavior due to his ability to spin/manipulate their words into bile manners of hatred & loathing. I.e., basically take your birth name & turn it against you.

He claims he hates the media, idiot public & yet slimes it up with the best of them and profiteers from it by the boat loads. He says he holds peoples feet to the flames & yet cries when the same is called of him. He asks "what have you done", when in fact he has done nothing... He sits on his fat ass & pushes a button to hang up on callers just like a child burning ant with the magnifying glass; all under the guise of 'ratings'.

If Britain doesn't want him, they don't have to. Not to mention, they reserve the right to refuse service to whomever they choose. No Raspberry Pi for him.

I'll still take 2... Please & thank you. See? No childish name calling or bravado. Of course I'll probably have to wait an eon & a half to get it...
lol, left wing? for real xD I seriously doubt it, I'd peg him more a goldwater conservative than a left winger but that's besides to point, I just want to stick to my principles and nothing more. Maybe I am stubborn, more power to me? I've seen the stories that come out of england, and I am not happy with what was once a great country for people to live in. The united kingdom has lost all dignity as a people in my eyes. I would go on, but I don't want to get banned ,per the rules on debate here at afterdawn. So I'll keep it at that. It's more that, a guy who talks on a radio show "and is second highest streamed in his field online" for 3 hours a day, while they have people screaming they want to kill them within the country, and choose to ignore them due to p.c. pandering is what really bothers me, check out WWII in HD, specifically Jack Werner. See what's going on there? It's the same show boat from the 30's, just updated to modern day civilization... I've got to move over the weekend, so if I don't reply, sorry about it I can't help it... Hell, this is probably my last word on the matter.

Custom Computer rebuild 2.80GHZ@6cores/8GBRAM|3DS | WII|360|PS3|

73.3.2012 19:21

Originally posted by WW3:
lol, left wing? for real xD I seriously doubt it, I'd peg him more a goldwater conservative than a left winger but that's besides to point, I just want to stick to my principles and nothing more. Maybe I am stubborn, more power to me? I've seen the stories that come out of england, and I am not happy with what was once a great country for people to live in. The united kingdom has lost all dignity as a people in my eyes. I would go on, but I don't want to get banned ,per the rules on debate here at afterdawn. So I'll keep it at that. It's more that, a guy who talks on a radio show "and is second highest streamed in his field online" for 3 hours a day, while they have people screaming they want to kill them within the country, and choose to ignore them due to p.c. pandering is what really bothers me, check out WWII in HD, specifically Jack Werner. See what's going on there? It's the same show boat from the 30's, just updated to modern day civilization... I've got to move over the weekend, so if I don't reply, sorry about it I can't help it... Hell, this is probably my last word on the matter.

Yup & nope... that's what makes us all go round. You don't have to ride the same bus as everyone either & that's cool too. I served in the military to make sure you can watch channel 3 while I watch channel 12 & that's all right by me. But for F**ks sake, don't rub my face in it (you weren't, just making a blanket statement there).

84.3.2012 2:32

Originally posted by LordRuss:
Originally posted by WW3:
lol, left wing? for real xD I seriously doubt it, I'd peg him more a goldwater conservative than a left winger but that's besides to point, I just want to stick to my principles and nothing more. Maybe I am stubborn, more power to me? I've seen the stories that come out of england, and I am not happy with what was once a great country for people to live in. The united kingdom has lost all dignity as a people in my eyes. I would go on, but I don't want to get banned ,per the rules on debate here at afterdawn. So I'll keep it at that. It's more that, a guy who talks on a radio show "and is second highest streamed in his field online" for 3 hours a day, while they have people screaming they want to kill them within the country, and choose to ignore them due to p.c. pandering is what really bothers me, check out WWII in HD, specifically Jack Werner. See what's going on there? It's the same show boat from the 30's, just updated to modern day civilization... I've got to move over the weekend, so if I don't reply, sorry about it I can't help it... Hell, this is probably my last word on the matter.

Yup & nope... that's what makes us all go round. You don't have to ride the same bus as everyone either & that's cool too. I served in the military to make sure you can watch channel 3 while I watch channel 12 & that's all right by me. But for F**ks sake, don't rub my face in it (you weren't, just making a blanket statement there).
I totally agree, and thank you for your service! People are people, some are reasonable and others absolutely want to force things down other peoples throats, I wasn't trying to just to be clear, just making a general statement. Glad to see we still have reasonable people in the world, have a good rest of the weekend!


Custom Computer rebuild 2.80GHZ@6cores/8GBRAM|3DS | WII|360|PS3|

96.3.2012 10:36

Originally posted by WW3:
I totally agree, and thank you for your service! People are people, some are reasonable and others absolutely want to force things down other peoples throats, I wasn't trying to just to be clear, just making a general statement. Glad to see we still have reasonable people in the world, have a good rest of the weekend!

Thanks for sentiment. There are a lot of folks still out there that don't care much for military folks (like the contradictory Westboro pukes). I wasn't exactly looking for a compliment, but I'll take it in lieu of cash just the same. As for my own person being a man of reason? Some may say that ebbs & flows as well. All I can say is that 'I try'.

In a passing/closing note, if anyone is still reading this thread... got the closing not from Newark.com (first ones to actually take my money & place my order for Raspberry Pi here in the US). They're charging me freight & tax, so to get the device to my front door total & all it's going to be $44.85 (Merican) and I won't see the thing until approximately 12June2012...

Yup, 3 whole f*king months... I figured a wait, but geez. Their not taking my money till then & that's cool too, but wow... Guess it'll be for my birthday.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Mar 2012 @ 10:38

109.3.2012 21:26

@ ww3

"I would buy this, but the company is based in england so I'm holding my ground, any country who would knowingly ban a person on false premises will not get my hard earned money, period. Seems like a great concept, and would probably be great to run linux under but I just can't do it. "

Then you make sure that you do not buy any tech product that contains Arm derivative / licensed processor.

@ lordRuss

What is your opinion on Fox News, Glen Beck, the current Republican presidential candidature hopefuls and the likes? They are the worst spinners I have ever seen

@ww3

Talk about radio show hosts, what about Rush Limbaugh. He takes the cake. Any opinions?

Now to the topic of the specs. In my experience it is not the video resolution which is the limiting factor but the bit rate of the file. Even though your storage device may be capable of streaming the file the cpu / gpu have to be upto it to decode and display. I have seen 350 MB, 2 hour long 1080p files as well as 9 GB, 2 hour long 720p files. Both do not necessarily play equally well on the same hardware. ( x264 + AAC codecs)

What I would really like to know is what readily available live OS does it / would support !

119.3.2012 21:42

Originally posted by pmshah:
@ ww3

"I would buy this, but the company is based in england so I'm holding my ground, any country who would knowingly ban a person on false premises will not get my hard earned money, period. Seems like a great concept, and would probably be great to run linux under but I just can't do it. "

Then you make sure that you do not buy any tech product that contains Arm derivative / licensed processor.

@ lordRuss

What is your opinion on Fox News, Glen Beck, the current Republican presidential candidature hopefuls and the likes? They are the worst spinners I have ever seen

@ww3

Talk about radio show hosts, what about Rush Limbaugh. He takes the cake. Any opinions?

Now to the topic of the specs. In my experience it is not the video resolution which is the limiting factor but the bit rate of the file. Even though your storage device may be capable of streaming the file the cpu / gpu have to be upto it to decode and display. I have seen 350 MB, 2 hour long 1080p files as well as 9 GB, 2 hour long 720p files. Both do not necessarily play equally well on the same hardware. ( x264 + AAC codecs)

What I would really like to know is what readily available live OS does it / would support !


I've been deflecting on arm for a long time. While I may receive gifts from time to time that may contain arm technology from my parents, I've generally stayed away from arm. Hell the last arm architecture I purchased was the dsi, but that was before they went and pulled this stunt.

@ rush limbaugh, I have to admit that, growing up I avidly listened to the likes or Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck, I'm only 22 right now so I've not had allot of time on this earth but I started to wisen up at about 16 and dropped him and beck, and fox news for that matter. My reason? Let me use an example, sheriff Arpaio announced that The presidents birth certificate is a fraudulant document and "probable cause" has been established to investigate Mr. Obama. Not one peep on the programs, nothing from rush and nothing from "Fix" news channel, but it was reported online breifly... but then again it was a cbs report. To Glenn Becks credit, the blaze actually reported on it. I've probably said to much, don't want to get stuff started so I'll just go back to lurking.

L8r,
-WW3

Custom Computer rebuild 2.80GHZ@6cores/8GBRAM|3DS | WII|360|PS3|

129.3.2012 21:45

Originally posted by pmshah:


What I would really like to know is what readily available live OS does it / would support !
Arch Linux and XBMC are available now.

1310.3.2012 19:21

Originally posted by pmshah:
@ lordRuss

What is your opinion on Fox News, Glen Beck, the current Republican presidential candidature hopefuls and the likes? They are the worst spinners I have ever seen
Oh boy... There's a Pandora's box that we might not want to open here in this particular forum. As per Rule #15 we're all supposed to be good girls/boys & not dispell with political & religious diatribes here in the forums unless it REALLY pertains to the article at hand. And although I would really LOVE to answer you, The fine folks here at AD would ban me & cancel my account faster than a greased pedophile judging a diaper rash tournament.

However, it is against my own policy to write concerning political folly on my blog. You can read why as each page has a link to the Russell's Rules explaining why. It's basically for the same reasons here. Yet, I'm quite a bit more vocal.

But, if enough folks 'really' want to know what my decrepit views are regarding Fox News network, then sound off POLITELY, succinctly & I'll make a write up. Although it's been a while since I've posted to the blog & there hasn't been much traffic.

Now, getting back to Raspberry Pi...

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Arch Linux and XBMC are available now.
YES!!!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive