AfterDawn: Tech news

You wouldn't steal a car: DVD anti-piracy warning gets updated

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 15 May 2012 15:08 User comments (23)

You wouldn't steal a car: DVD anti-piracy warning gets updated The federal government, with help from the Hollywood studios, has updated the iconic DVD/Blu-ray anti-piracy warnings seen on all new releases.
Instead of just one logo, the new warnings now have three, including one from IPR and one from Homeland Security (seen below).

The original logo has been around since 2004 on all new home releases, and includes text noting that pirates can face jail time and a large fine if they ever decide to rip a movie, make a backup, or share the files illegally.

In the new version, there is a Homeland Security Investigations "special agent" badge reflecting the power the group has had since 2008 in Web matters and there is a second page for the National Intellectual Property Center.

Both new warnings here (via Wired):



Previous Next

Related news

 

23 user comments

115.5.2012 15:45

So TPTB want to equate stealing a car with Copyright Infringement. Hmm...

For over 200 years, copying without permission has been called Copyright Infringement, and not theft. There is a reason for this.

The true equivalent to stealing a car would be breaking into the buildings that house the physical computers and media, and stealing those from their owners. That's theft. That's criminal. And that has victims.

People need to understand that there's a big difference between Copyright Infringement and theft.

And I'm not just somebody with nothing to lose when people copy my stuff without paying for it. I have several published works at risk of being copied without my permission, and I'm sure some, if not all of it has been already.

But I knew when I created the stuff and distributed it digitally that computers are very, very good at making copies. It goes with the territory. I accept it. It's foolish to think they can be controlled just because somebody isn't making as much as they feel entitled to, and I'm certainly not interested in totally destroying peoples' lives over copying stuff without permission.


Ignorance en masse is still ignorance.

215.5.2012 15:54

No, I wouldn't steal a car because then that person wouldn't have a car anymore and would be forced to replace it. But if I could rent a car and had the means to clone it using a cheap blank, I definitely would do that.

315.5.2012 16:16

BANKS + LOBBYISTS + POLITICIANS = THEFT
Lets put that on bank notes.

415.5.2012 16:54

This seems to me a bit more of a joke. sorry, but with all the tools easily accessible. (slysoft-anydvd, blank dvd/cd rewritables) it's almost as if they want us to make backups

515.5.2012 17:07

Interestingly enough, the National Intellectual Property Center shield looks like a spitting image of a challenge coin belonging to a previous unit I was once assigned to, a design they created tehmselves. I think they stole it. Isn't that all it takes now adays?

615.5.2012 18:28

Like its going to stop anyone who wants to copying a DVD from doing it. Another BS scare tactic and more crap we have to watch on the DVD's people purchase to get to the main movie, which by the way, I never purchase. Cheaper to rent from Netflix or Redbox. Not may movies out there that I want to own and watch multiple times, but that's just my thought.

715.5.2012 18:29

Originally posted by snardos:
No, I wouldn't steal a car because then that person wouldn't have a car anymore and would be forced to replace it. But if I could rent a car and had the means to clone it using a cheap blank, I definitely would do that.
lol i like that

816.5.2012 0:07

But did the keep the sweet police siren dubstep?

916.5.2012 5:00

Originally posted by snardos:
No, I wouldn't steal a car because then that person wouldn't have a car anymore and would be forced to replace it. But if I could rent a car and had the means to clone it using a cheap blank, I definitely would do that.
i totally agree.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

1016.5.2012 6:15

People pirate because of the price and "ease of use". I'd like to have a movie on my computer to be able to watch anywhere without DRM restrictions and without killing my battery by using the DVD drive. I'd also never spend $25 on a BluRay unless it's a damn good movie...which isn't happening anymore.

Release movies on BluRay for $15/$10 for DVD and include a free digital copy WITHOUT DRM and watch your piracy numbers drop. Keep it like the old days; DVD & VHS. I don't want to choose between 10 different BD versions and 5 different DVD versions. People pirate for a reason. Until they figure out that reason (which is in this post...), they're not getting anywhere.

1116.5.2012 12:39

Originally posted by core2kid:
People pirate because of the price and "ease of use". I'd like to have a movie on my computer to be able to watch anywhere without DRM restrictions and without killing my battery by using the DVD drive. I'd also never spend $25 on a BluRay unless it's a damn good movie...which isn't happening anymore.

Release movies on BluRay for $15/$10 for DVD and include a free digital copy WITHOUT DRM and watch your piracy numbers drop. Keep it like the old days; DVD & VHS. I don't want to choose between 10 different BD versions and 5 different DVD versions. People pirate for a reason. Until they figure out that reason (which is in this post...), they're not getting anywhere.
how true this all is. Most of us go through this process because of those things and it is definitely something that MIAA and RIAA need to get a hold of. Keep pushing this on people and the people will straight out pirate all together, and not buy anything.

1216.5.2012 14:09

Steal a Car to drive something nice for a day from somebody who can afford to buy millions of car's? and want's even more from stealing from the poor all so they make them pay I'm all for acknowledging something great and due credit with money donations for something one deserve's for creating something great


here's a New law that need's to be made a
Copyright Expiration Date

5 Years for new One's of excellent stature Example :Avatar
3 years for medium grade movie's meaning they did a good job and deserve some credit
3-6 months for cheap crap movie's


all there profits have done nothing but go up since the 1950's that's life you like something it get's old you turn it into something else piracy shouldn't be a concern there just pissing money away to these Mpaa company's


Save Freedom Dont Elect Law Making Religion Nut Republicans

1316.5.2012 14:47

Originally posted by SuikoNiNjitZu:
Steal a Car to drive something nice for a day from somebody who can afford to buy millions of car's? and want's even more from stealing from the poor all so they make them pay I'm all for acknowledging something great and due credit with money donations for something one deserve's for creating something great


here's a New law that need's to be made a
Copyright Expiration Date

5 Years for new One's of excellent stature Example :Avatar
3 years for medium grade movie's meaning they did a good job and deserve some credit
3-6 months for cheap crap movie's


all there profits have done nothing but go up since the 1950's that's life you like something it get's old you turn it into something else piracy shouldn't be a concern there just pissing money away to these Mpaa company's
That's what should happen, but they're going the other way with the rights of the people. They want permanent protection**.

There already is an expiration date, and the closer Mickey Mouse's Copyright protection gets to that expiration, the further out it's moved. Disney doesn't want to have to give up its distribution rights and wants to continue milking the same cow until Hell freezes over.

**I want to say ownership instead of protection, but by law once something is made public it's no longer owned by anyone. Copyright is a license of sole distributorship granted by the people to the creator of the work. And yeah, that should have a max of about 10 to 20 years before it expires, but there's too much greed and complacency to ever bring it back to a fair and reasonable time frame.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 May 2012 @ 14:51

Ignorance en masse is still ignorance.

1416.5.2012 16:25

New warnings... someone need to update the classic picture:



This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 May 2012 @ 16:35

1517.5.2012 11:35

Originally posted by Clam_Up:
...I'm certainly not interested in totally destroying peoples' lives over copying stuff without permission.
I'm pretty much in tow with your whole comment. I don't want to ruin the 'average' guys life for having copied a piece of my work either. Hell, most of the time if it's something I wrote, just give me the proper honorable mention for christ's sake...

I think it's what the rest of the crowd keeps harping on is the profiteers (which always never ends up getting back to the originating artists) that piss & whine for all this compensation & reclamation that's belligerently disproportionate.

"Real" pirates on the other hand. Ones making money off this kind of behavior... remove their nuts with the jaws of life made of firm foam. That aught to take a while.

1617.5.2012 13:39

I believe that the movie industry is purposely trying to make it difficult to access the main movie of an optical disk so customers get so frustrated the will go for the ultra violet BS.. That way they can more control over distribution and termination of a given movie. Then, once again charge again for the, "privilege" of playing some of their junk content.

LouisCK has made millions by distributing his own material. Paying $5.00 for MP4 A/V or MP3 audio doesn't make the material worth pirating. Sure, people will pirate it just for something to do. The vast majority of people (I believe) do not mind plunking down $5.00. Parting with $5.00 will not break the bank.

Jeff

1717.5.2012 15:33

heres a question what if the work is not original when copyrighted.

heres an example australian group men at work got sued for using a riff from a song called the kukkaburra sits in the old gum tree.he original riff was made in 1600s by a welsh woman and copyrighted in 1900s by someone totally different who stole the riff.


custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

1817.5.2012 16:20

Originally posted by Jeffrey_P:
The vast majority of people (I believe) do not mind plunking down $5.00. Parting with $5.00 will not break the bank.
Redundantly, there in lies the rub... value added. Virtually anything is worth $5 (all things considered), but greed says we may only be able to sell it one time. So they sell it for what the 'market will bear'. The biggest dumb ass business model ever invented. Yet 'touted' as the most profitable (it's not, just the quickest) means of equity & is continually practiced to this day.

Then there is the perceived value of items that are priced bellow what a market would have them social coveted. An automobile that really doesn't cost any more to produce than a regular luxury car, but because of a name & a proposed standard to go with it, that somehow merits a 1000% price mark-up.

Art is the same. Just cause the bastard died, didn't make the paint he shot out of his ass onto the canvas any greener.

1910.8.2012 5:29
jinkyliao
Inactive

Another BS scare tactic and more crap we have to watch on the car DVDpeople purchase to get to the main movie, which by the way, I never purchase. Cheaper to rent from Netflix or Redbox.

2010.8.2012 7:53

Sharing is not theft.
Never was never will be.

This is the same BS they have been pushing for years, who remembers 'Home Taping is Killing Music'?

What the film & music execs are really bummed about is that in their lunatic world every download = a lost sale & that they might have a minor fraction more profit to skim off of the top to pay for the next Mercedes or Beemers or fancy house.

(cos you've got to be some lauaghably deluded sap to imagine the artists ever see much of what 'the industry' takes in, the biggest rip-off pirates an artist may encounter are those self-same industry types......as decades of court cases prove)

2110.8.2012 14:35

Originally posted by Interestx:
(cos you've got to be some lauaghably deluded sap to imagine the artists ever see much of what 'the industry' takes in, the biggest rip-off pirates an artist may encounter are those self-same industry types......as decades of court cases prove)
You're on the right track. I've written several times about the step by step manner in which music artists are literally stripped of their earnings.

It's brutal how they are treated & they don't even realize what they are signing.

2211.8.2012 14:18

think for copyright infringement and car theft if both maximum penalties were imposed you'd be better off getting charged for car theft.

if you walked in a music store and stole a cd and got caught you'd get in less trouble than if you got caught with 20 illegally download tracks.

^^^thats messed up right there.what a world we live in.


custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

2327.8.2012 20:36

Sad when you have to use software like AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 to get rid of this crap.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive