Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 8, WP7 users will not get it

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 20 Jun 2012 20:04 User comments (17)

Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 8, WP7 users will not get it During its announced developers conference today, Microsoft unveiled its Windows Phone 8 smartphone platform.
Codenamed 'Apollo,' the OS will not be available to any current Windows Phone user, which should anger the small but growing population of its users. This includes the Nokia Lumia 900, the flagship device recently launched on AT&T and around the world.

Amongst the new features are enhanced gaming functionality, a digital wallet and improved multitasking.

Most importantly, the phones have moved forward technologically. There is new support for multi-core processors (like dual-core and quad-core) and resolutions up to 1280x720. All Windows Phone 8 devices will have included microSD slots, allowing for extra storage space.

Like rival operating systems, Apollo will soon have its own "digital wallet," giving WP users the ability to make payments right from their phone with connected credit/debit cards and other options. All WP8 phones will come equipped with NFC to take advantage of the wallet when the details have been worked out with the carriers.

Multitasking has been made functional, as well, with users being able to actually text while calling now, among other situations where multitasking is sometimes necessary.

Finally giving users the chance to customize their UI, WP8 will allow buyers to change the size of the start screen icons. Video call integration of Skype, Google Talk and other services will all work from one single interface.

Samsung, Nokia, HTC, Huawei, and ZTE have all confirmed new phones for the platform.

120.6.2012 20:54

Bad Move Microsoft.. Why no WP8 for current WP7 devices? I thought you were better than Apple.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ~ Roy Trenneman

220.6.2012 21:09

Way to go Microsoft. I can guarantee that when my WP7 device fails that I will not be giving support to Microsoft. I went out on a limb and did not select Android or ios. At least with those, customer loyalty gets me a better handset at upgrade time.

320.6.2012 23:21

Windows 7.8 will give you pretty much everything windows phone 8 brings besides hardware related features such as dual core processing, NFC, and higher resolutions. Software can't fix that.

"Cable thief is a victimless crime."

420.6.2012 23:24

Originally posted by plutonash:
Do you have links to that information. If Microsoft did this because of current hardware limitations then that is one thing especially if they can deliver the vast majority of features in a newer revision of 7.x.

If that is true then I will retract my statement and leave it to Apple to disable features on their older hardware despite the hardware having the ability to handle it.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ~ Roy Trenneman

520.6.2012 23:32

Originally posted by bobiroc:
Originally posted by plutonash:

All 7.8 brings is tile customization and the new start screen customization.

621.6.2012 2:51

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Originally posted by bobiroc:
Originally posted by plutonash:

All 7.8 brings is tile customization and the new start screen customization.
Also I believe deeper Skype integration and the power of Nokia maps. I think Nokia would do their 900 customers that honor. But even then if you bought a windows 7 phone. Youd be content with single core, no NFC, and a wvga resolution.

"Cable thief is a victimless crime."

721.6.2012 3:36
lazytechguy
Unverified new user

Untrue, Although 7.8 will include start screen. It is not the only feature coming to WP 7.8 - Microsoft has been coy about confirming what will come to 7.8:

821.6.2012 4:27

WP7 devices are mid-range at best, so I don't see why everyone is complaining.

Trying to bridge the massive deficit between Windows Phone and iOS / Android does not constitute "doing an Apple," since Apple actually quite blatantly lies about what is compatible in order to make more money from its consumers.

For example, we all knew Siri was compatible with older devices, but it was a simple ploy to squeeze money from iPhone devotees who might otherwise have held the two up against each other and thought, "nah!"

Microsoft needs to play catch-up, and offering WP8 to old devices which lack cutting-edge hardware is not the way to move the numbers.

921.6.2012 8:20

Originally posted by Lethal_B:
WP7 devices are mid-range at best, so I don't see why everyone is complaining.

I see your point but it depends on the hardware I guess. If you are referring to hardware like added NFC chips and other features then yes but it is not all about the "cores" as WindowsPhone has shown that it can run just as well or better on more modest hardware. I guess I will have to wait and see what the new feature breakdown in in WP8 because I am seriously thinking about leaving my iPhone behind and going to WindowsPhone at my next upgrade.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ~ Roy Trenneman

1026.6.2012 16:05

Nokia says this is NOT true, officially:

"You know, it seems that quotes on the internet are becoming less and less reliable." -Abraham Lincoln.

1127.6.2012 9:56

The Lumina 800 is not a midrange phone. The hardware is lowend, but the list price ($900) is anything but. Sure, you can get one for under $400 due to lack of demand...but that is still as expensive as a far superior Android. Hmm...I guess if you averaged the hardware and the price, it is midrange in a way...sorta.

1228.6.2012 15:33

Thank's god i not buy the Nokia Lumia 900 after read the bad news.Now i'll wait for the new WP8,is the way to go.

1328.6.2012 15:57

Originally posted by voyager:
Haven't you read what I posted above? That's NOT TRUE:

You'd better wait for the Lumia 900 NFC, though.

1429.6.2012 8:15

Ok thanks.But looks like if only Nokia Lumia 900 will receive just an uptade .,what about the other first WP7 models like HTC titan ,samsung Focus and LG?
I actually have a Samsung focus with the 7.5 update.

1529.6.2012 8:40

Originally posted by dali:
Originally posted by voyager:
Haven't you read what I posted above? That's NOT TRUE:

You'd better wait for the Lumia 900 NFC, though.
Did you read your own article? Current Lumia users are NOT getting Windows Phone 8.

1629.6.2012 10:04

Originally posted by DVDBack23:

OK, maybe I misread the paragraph which begins with "Nokia Lumia owners to get new Windows Phone 8 experience", but I swear I thought they said clearly the opposite. Maybe it was edited?

Where it reads "For those who already have Lumia devices with Windows Phone 7.5, you’ll be able to update your phones", I missed the second part: "with some of the new Windows Phone 8 features like the start screen". Maybe it wasn't there before, maybe it was... And there's no way to know that for sure now. I still believe it was edited afterwards, but, if not, I apologize for my mistake.

BTW, that shortened link doesn't point anywhere anymore, my apologies again. Here it goes:

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Jun 2012 @ 11:05

1730.6.2012 14:00