Netflix's subs now watch more Netflix than cable and TV networks

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 05 Jul 2012 18:12 User comments (9)

Netflix's subs now watch more Netflix than cable and TV networks Netflix shares jumped over 13 percent today after an analyst claimed that the company's online audience is now larger than cable and TV networks.
According to the report from analyst Rich Greenfield of BTIG Research, 24 million domestic subscribers are watching an average of 40 hours of programming online per month.

The estimate was based on recent figures revealed by CEO Reed Hastings.

"Among households with Netflix, Netflix would have been the No. 1 watched network overall, including broadcast and cable," Greenfield added.

Hastings also noted that the company is testing separating movies from TV on its website, adding new subcategories making it easier for users to find programs.

15.7.2012 18:25
SmaryJerry
Unverified new user

The title is deceiving.. according to the details in the article... Only for people that have netflix is netflix watched more than cable on average... makes a lot of sense since many use it to replace cable.

25.7.2012 20:09

Is that in the US, UK or what?

35.7.2012 20:36

The US & Canada.

20 Year U.S.Army Veteran.Vietnam 1969-1972 101st Abn.Div.

46.7.2012 9:40

If I was paying for netflix I'd probably be watching it more than cable or tv toooo.....

Shocking! I know but it'd be the truth.

56.7.2012 13:52

It's simple: we're talking an on-demand service that offers many TV and cable programs within seconds, versus tuning in, or waiting to DVR something via cable. Honestly, I have both and find myself catching up on shows or starting new ones via Netflix, then going the DVR route once I'm caught up.

Either way, it's a bit unfair to say Netflix would be the #1 cable network, as they provide very little in terms of original broadcasting and would basically be all syndication (like TV Land for example.)

66.7.2012 17:50

In the end Netflix will win. Cable TV Co's are losing customers because of bad customer service and high fees. You can watch regular TV online with just a web connection. The one I use is from the TVDevo website. It's all online and reliable. Tons of shows both live and on-demand. For movies online I use Netflix. Between these 2 services I no longer need cable TV.

78.7.2012 13:17

You can add me to that list for sure. Commercial free all day long and for a fraction of the price of what Timewarner charges!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Jul 2012 @ 13:18

88.7.2012 14:01

I'm a Netflix sub and I still do most of my TV watching via my DirecTV dvr. If I wanted to watch last season's series, I'd just download them via torrents and skip the Netflix fees and unreliable streaming. I can watch two week old episodes on-demand via DirecTV any time I want.

This statistic is completely relying on the vast amount of uninformed non-techies out there who don't realize what they already have through their cable or satellite TV service.

98.7.2012 20:24

Originally posted by SProdigy:

Very true and I would agree but I do know many people that have dropped Cable/Satellite for Netflix's.

Netflix's still doesn't get New Releases quick enough and don't carry everything I want on streaming, I still have discs sent to home. Also the sound quality is horrible and the streaming quality isn't great either so for me I would prefer DirecTV or Dish over just Netflix even though I'm getting pretty sick of being raped the my monthly bill.