AfterDawn: Tech news

EA: 'Core' gamers still having issues with Origin downloads

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 17 Jul 2012 22:26 User comments (12)

EA: 'Core' gamers still having issues with Origin downloads Large games publisher Electronic Arts (EA) has admitted today that hardcore gamers still have major issues with the Origin download platform.
In response, the company says it is making Origin the 'best download site' it can be, looking to turn skeptics into fans.

Additionally, EA is offering a new promotion where Kickstarter-funded games can get listed on Origin for free.

Adds Origin boss David DeMartini (via MCV): "The hardcore sometimes has issues with Origin, but they seem to love these crowd-funded games. It was one of the few things we have done that wasn't controversial and nobody had anything negative to say."

DeMartini concludes:

"People forget that when Steam launched, there was a lot of backlash from the core. Origin represents a change, and anytime EA does something that is significant in the industry, it generates a certain amount of reaction.

Really it's just to give customers an opportunity for choice."

Previous Next  

12 user comments

117.7.2012 23:02

Core gamers are causal and hard, and both hate Origin desu.


Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

217.7.2012 23:14

Canceled my account when they switched over to origin.To many headaches.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Jul 2012 @ 23:15

20 Year U.S.Army Veteran.Vietnam 1969-1972 101st Abn.Div.

318.7.2012 11:16

Steam summer sale is going on and people are downloading games from Origin? The hell, man.

418.7.2012 11:51

No one ever liked you in the first place EA, don't be surprised no one wants to download your bloatware.

518.7.2012 12:17

I can't stand Steam, but they're a lesser demon than Origin... EA's nothing more than a greed machine trying to maintain dominance over their software... Again. Greed bitches, that's all it is.

These greed idiots are trying to think long term, big pockets & they're f*king it up, Again. When the bottom falls out & this good idea bomb flies back around & explodes all the shit right back on them they'll go right back to the way things were. With a 10% increase on game prices of course.

Then the icing on the cake will be a hundred low end guys losing their jobs, but why should the mucky-mucks care about that so long as the beast gets fed, right.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Jul 2012 @ 12:19

618.7.2012 12:29

Originally posted by LordRuss:
I can't stand Steam, but they're a lesser demon than Origin... EA's nothing more than a greed machine trying to maintain dominance over their software... Again. Greed bitches, that's all it is.

These greed idiots are trying to think long term, big pockets & they're f*king it up, Again. When the bottom falls out & this good idea bomb flies back around & explodes all the shit right back on them they'll go right back to the way things were. With a 10% increase on game prices of course.

Then the icing on the cake will be a hundred low end guys losing their jobs, but why should the mucky-mucks care about that so long as the beast gets fed, right.
My only problem with steam is that you need to be online to go into offline mode.

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

718.7.2012 16:12

BF3/Origin = absolute worst pc game experience ever, EA tech support never could resolve my issue(s). Spent more time trying to fix the game than actually playing it,laggy,choppy,locking up, dropped connections gameplay with DX/punkbuster errors...that was WITH the crappy patches and re-installs...horrible....awful shite.I have 40+ other games that play just fine on my system,even with 3d.

Used to be a BF addict, I'll just go back to BF2142.

818.7.2012 16:42

Originally posted by wifebeater09:
BF3/Origin = absolute worst pc game experience ever, EA tech support never could resolve my issue(s). Spent more time trying to fix the game than actually playing it,laggy,choppy,locking up, dropped connections gameplay with DX/punkbuster errors...that was WITH the crappy patches and re-installs...horrible....awful shite.I have 40+ other games that play just fine on my system,even with 3d.

Used to be a BF addict, I'll just go back to BF2142.
i was a huge bf franchise fan on the pc. downloaded origin to participate in the bf3 beta. conclusion is ea is not getting a dime of mine. and i really wanted to play the new ssx. :[

924.7.2012 1:15

Origin is just a horrible experience. The software is buggy and laggy, and download speeds won't ax out my connection.

After formatting my PC I just can't be bothered putting origin on there to play BF3. If it was on steam on the other hand...

1024.7.2012 8:57

@wifebeater you might wanna try bfp4f only mode available is assault ( capture the flags) but still kills time if youre bored.

i personally wouldnt pay to download a game.I have an account with ea/origin for needforspeed world and battlefield play for free but even they been having server problems.


custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

1126.7.2012 12:28

As far as I am concerned EA can consume all that is majestic in reference to all that is my manhood. Total & full consumption. After their implicit instructions to my ISP to shut me down for 'allegedly' downloading Crysis all the way back in April, I'll most certainly have nothing to do with their company other than to tout their names as everything negative & promote their software as prime fodder for thieves.

May the pirates render them complete eunuchs!


1226.7.2012 12:41

Originally posted by LordRuss:
As far as I am concerned EA can consume all that is majestic in reference to all that is my manhood. Total & full consumption. After their implicit instructions to my ISP to shut me down for 'allegedly' downloading Crysis all the way back in April, I'll most certainly have nothing to do with their company other than to tout their names as everything negative & promote their software as prime fodder for thieves.

May the pirates render them complete eunuchs!
Meh I say that about most corporations, the status quo needs to go!


desu.... =>>= damnit I am starting to end everythign with that....


desu

AHHHHGG!!!!!! ....desu

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive