Fox to release HD digital copies of films weeks before discs

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 11 Sep 2012 20:08 User comments (11)

Fox to release HD digital copies of films weeks before discs Fox has announced it will begin selling HD digital copies of films weeks before their retail release on DVD and Blu-ray.
The first film to get such treatment will be 'Prometheus' which will be available as an UltraViolet title on September 18th, weeks before the title's October 11th retail date. Despite it being a UV title, you will not need a UV account.

Additionally, due to much smaller overhead, the company is offering the movie for $15 as a digital copy compared to $40 MSRP on Blu-ray and $30 MSRP on DVD. Of course, retailers have cheaper prices, with Wal-Mart and Amazon selling the DVD for $20 on pre-order and $28 on Blu-ray.

Prometheus is part of Fox's Digital HD initiative which will bring 600 films to new devices and new retailers including Amazon, CinemaNow, Sony's PS3, the Xbox 360, iTunes and Vudu.

A few other new titles set for early digital release are Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, The Watch, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days and Ice Age: Continental Drift.

More news

Related news

111.9.2012 20:17

No for me. I like the old fashion way at 16 cents or less per movie.
I'm around 500 movies behind that own and haven't watched yet.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Sep 2012 @ 20:21

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

211.9.2012 20:33

Prometheus is going to be one of those few movies that I blind buy on Blu-ray. Haven't seen AL:Vampire Hunter, I'm sure someone will post this hd pre-release on torrent soon. If I download a movie and I really like, 90% of the time, I will buy it on blu-ray.

312.9.2012 8:50

I wish Sony and MS themselves would realize this price scheme is more acceptable than their own. $15 for hopefully a bluray quality release movie, is far better than $5 off full price. Same should be done with games since you don't need to reserve shelve space, no stocking in warehouses, etc.

412.9.2012 9:50

I'll just wait til Netflix has it on DVD or Blu-ray and watch it. I was never in a hurry to see any movie right away and pay an outrages price to see or own it. Patience is virtue which has it rewards.

"Do not underestimate the power of an enemy, no matter how great or small, to rise against you another day." - Atilla

512.9.2012 13:16

When I can download the film any time I want after paying to see it once I might be interested.
But I say $15/10 is still far too much.

I'm only buying Blu-ray when they hit 3 - 7 ($4.83 - $11.27) as it is.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Sep 2012 @ 13:16

612.9.2012 13:52

this is good but the price needs to be a lot cheaper only way people will buy

712.9.2012 15:47

Originally posted by mike.m:
Prometheus is going to be one of those few movies that I blind buy on Blu-ray.
Totally off topic but watched Prometheus in HD yesterday and...well can't say I would watch it again except to try to make more connections to Alien series...didn't think the effects were really that great...especialy with the "engineer" or whatever they call the guy they find. Assuming "blind buy" means ya haven't seen it I wouldn't do it.

Just my $0.02,

dEwMe

812.9.2012 15:52

I saw Prometheus in 3D at a new cinema near me. Some 3D bits really stood out bu at home all I want is a really good HD transfer.

.....and I'm not paying more than 8 for it either.

I can wait.

914.9.2012 15:13

"Prometheus is part of Fox's Digital HD initiative which..."

is trying to force stream-only content? Sounds like it. It will be a sad day for me when I can no longer tangibly holds a movie in my hands.

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1333, Corsair 750TX PSU
10 TB Wes Dig. 64G Corsair SSD

1014.9.2012 15:22

Originally posted by 8686:
"Prometheus is part of Fox's Digital HD initiative which..."

Disks are overrated IMHO...the only issue I have with streaming are the actual issues of streaming such as mobile access, quality, overbearing DRM, etc. Personally I put all my DVDs onto hard drives and put away the disks; I would do it with the blurays as well if not for the price fixing in the HDD arena.

1116.9.2012 11:27

Originally posted by KillerBug:

I tend to agree. It isn't the medium exactly that I'm married to, but the delivery system & all its flaws. Streaming just doesn't cut it.; i.e., too many flaws. The DVD/Blurays are nice in that I enjoy the 'making of' & some directorial comments included in the bonus features, but collecting the disks has its limitations once storage space starts to hit its limits as well.

Mass HDD storage & playback from those devices has become my favorite as of recent & I don't see that changing. The whole 'cloud' option is loathsome & obviously no secret to those who have read my blatherings from before.