AfterDawn: Tech news

Minecraft developer will not certify game for Windows 8

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 29 Sep 2012 22:07 User comments (27)

Minecraft developer will not certify game for Windows 8 Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson has said he will not "certify" the popular game for the upcoming Windows 8 operating system.
Persson is not the only person to voice displeasure with the new OS, which is seen as being a closed platform similar to Xbox Live.

Major developers like id Software, Blizzard and Valve have all called the new OS's storefront a major step back for the industry.

Says 'Notch': "Got an email from Microsoft, wanting to help 'certify' Minecraft for Win 8. I told them to stop trying to ruin the PC as an open platform. I'd rather have Minecraft not run on Win 8 at all than to play along. Maybe we can convince a few people not to switch to win 8 that way."

Of course, the game will still be available on Windows 8, but Persson will not be doing anything to help the process.

Previous Next  

27 user comments

129.9.2012 22:14

good on ya!

229.9.2012 22:26

bravo bravo!!!!!!

Awesome job guys

329.9.2012 22:35
MrDuckBringer
Unverified new user

I hate everyone who hates this operating system for no damn reason.

429.9.2012 22:53

Originally posted by MrDuckBringer:
I hate everyone who hates this operating system for no damn reason.
It's because it's not an upgrade but a waste of time and money and trying to turn a PC desktop OS into a OS made for a mobile phone that so happens to work on a desktop PC.

If you want a Win8 OS then just buy any old mobile phone it'll be the same thing.

The only reason why MS is doing this is to try and force people to buy their Win8 Mobile phones, it's the exact same thing they did with IE, Office, Xbox/360, bing, MP3 players.

MS try and add in stuff that isn't the default thing so so many people end up having to have it or use it that it becomes the #1 program/product "in use"

Look at IE it wasn't the #1 browser and modillia was MS made IE an integrated part of the OS so it'd be forced to the top as every single OS installed was a copy of IE installed as well.

So now you get MS thinking hey! if we can make the OS more like a mobile phone then everyone will be forced into wanting to buy a win8 mobile phone toooooooo!!!!!1!!....

Yet they completely forget that it's a desktop and people who want a mobile don't buy a mobile based on what they use on their desktop PC.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Sep 2012 @ 22:55

529.9.2012 23:34

Originally posted by MrDuckBringer:
I hate everyone who hates this operating system for no damn reason.

I hate people who think that I hate Windows 8 for no damn reason. Right back at ya.

Why do I hate WIn8?
- Metro. I simply don't like both the look and feel of the Metro interface on a traditional desktop PC. Perhaps on a touchscreen device, I wouldn't mind as much, but that's not what I tested Win8 on.
- Terrible integration of new features, including Metro. First they foist the Metro interface on me, then they don't properly integrate it with the system. Don't try to tell me I no longer need the desktop, then constantly force me to go to the desktop. That's infuriating.
- Complete over-emphasis on the new Windows Store, hand-in-hand with even MORE intrusive DRM. News flash: I didn't buy and build my PC to run freaking "apps", Metro or otherwise; I run applications. Additionally, I run a lot of old-school games that simply don't play nice with Win8.
- Complete design paradigm change for developers. A lot of indie developers simply can't afford to completely overhaul their workflow. For that matter, the big houses aren't too happy with it either; how many devs have now come out against Win8..?

There's simply no reason to force Metro on every user, except to make some marketing flacks happy. Similarly, there's no good reason to push the Windows Store so hard, except to make those exact same flacks cream their jeans.

It should tell you something, that this subject has xtago and me agreeing completely; that doesn't seem to happen too often o.O' ...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Sep 2012 @ 23:37

629.9.2012 23:58
left4
Unverified new user

why i like windows 8. portable ultrabooks for about $799. say i want to play a game plug in a hdmi in my tv and a xbox 360 control. take a FULL computer in a tablet. the metro aspect will be amazing to parents and old people everything they need is in a huge square
i'll sell millions like vista and people will make money

730.9.2012 0:33

this is simply a case of "they did it so i am going to do it to".
MS is simply copying what apple did why you ask? look at apples stock.
it seems to work very well when you lock the consumer in like the sheep you believe them to be .like the xbox 360 contract it is/was an experiment to see if anyone will/did, bite and if enough people do bite then the rest will be forced to convert also as they dislike apple enough or they would have already switched over this goes for other os's Linux,UNIX etc.
this could lead to some very interesting developments that ms might not have thought through.
imagine if this ticks enough major developers off..... and they head for ....ohh lets say a a full function Linux build that will run games that is included free with the games they make. if MS loses the gamer crowd and it seems this would be a huge portion of the ms user base.then they are going to be in serious trouble.

830.9.2012 1:18
Mayhem07
Unverified new user

Originally posted by Bozobub:
Originally posted by MrDuckBringer:
I hate everyone who hates this operating system for no damn reason.

I hate people who think that I hate Windows 8 for no damn reason. Right back at ya.

Why do I hate WIn8?
- Metro. I simply don't like both the look and feel of the Metro interface on a traditional desktop PC. Perhaps on a touchscreen device, I wouldn't mind as much, but that's not what I tested Win8 on.
- Terrible integration of new features, including Metro. First they foist the Metro interface on me, then they don't properly integrate it with the system. Don't try to tell me I no longer need the desktop, then constantly force me to go to the desktop. That's infuriating.
- Complete over-emphasis on the new Windows Store, hand-in-hand with even MORE intrusive DRM. News flash: I didn't buy and build my PC to run freaking "apps", Metro or otherwise; I run applications. Additionally, I run a lot of old-school games that simply don't play nice with Win8.
- Complete design paradigm change for developers. A lot of indie developers simply can't afford to completely overhaul their workflow. For that matter, the big houses aren't too happy with it either; how many devs have now come out against Win8..?

There's simply no reason to force Metro on every user, except to make some marketing flacks happy. Similarly, there's no good reason to push the Windows Store so hard, except to make those exact same flacks cream their jeans.

It should tell you something, that this subject has xtago and me agreeing completely; that doesn't seem to happen too often o.O' ...
Soooo... Metro is the only reason, you just had to say it in different ways!!
Anyhow to the point... Metro and Win8 are the future of the Windows ecosystem, you can either get on board or **** off to linux. Either way I don't care, there are so many one hit wonder games companies and I think this is just another one of them that got lucky with addictive lego blocks.

930.9.2012 1:38

Originally posted by Mayhem07:

Soooo... Metro is the only reason, you just had to say it in different ways!!
Anyhow to the point... Metro and Win8 are the future of the Windows ecosystem, you can either get on board or **** off to linux. Either way I don't care, there are so many one hit wonder games companies and I think this is just another one of them that got lucky with addictive lego blocks.
Just like Vista and Millennium Edition, right guy?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Sep 2012 @ 1:38

1030.9.2012 1:59

I think my hatred for windows 8 comes down to me being scared that two things will happen.

1. Microsoft plans on making windows a more closed ecosystem copying Apples platform.

2. This is my real concern people will not only go with it but convince them selves that it is a good thing and that the pros far outweigh the cons.

Each time I talk to a Apple fan and have them make the augment that a closed ecosystem is better then a open one scares the heck out of me.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Sep 2012 @ 1:59

1130.9.2012 3:07

i like all the unverified astroturfers in this thread :D

1230.9.2012 3:11

Originally posted by lamain:
I think my hatred for windows 8 comes down to me being scared that two things will happen.

1. Microsoft plans on making windows a more closed ecosystem copying Apples platform.

2. This is my real concern people will not only go with it but convince them selves that it is a good thing and that the pros far outweigh the cons.

Each time I talk to a Apple fan and have them make the augment that a closed ecosystem is better then a open one scares the heck out of me.
I've had fears similar to these since even before this video was made.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Sep 2012 @ 3:12

When laws allow unlimited ownership of ideas, it is to a society as iron fusion is to the core of a star.

When verified realities lead us to anger, we must learn to reevaluate our beliefs.

1330.9.2012 3:27
bob13
Unverified new user

Originally posted by MrDuckBringer:
I hate everyone who hates this operating system for no damn reason.
No reason? Have you actually seen the release preview???

1430.9.2012 4:44
Mex88
Unverified new user

Notch being a hypocrite again.

He is willing to release on Xbox live and IOS. Yet not windows 8, he has the same stance on steam. If he has no choice he goes along with closed systems, especially if there's a lot of money to make.

In situations like this he gets a ton of free advertising and an ego boost for being 'good guy notch'.

1530.9.2012 13:00

Originally posted by Mayhem07:
Soooo... Metro is the only reason, you just had to say it in different ways!!
Anyhow to the point... Metro and Win8 are the future of the Windows ecosystem, you can either get on board or **** off to linux. Either way I don't care, there are so many one hit wonder games companies and I think this is just another one of them that got lucky with addictive lego blocks.

Yes, I dislike Metro. No, that is not the only reason, and I gave you several, silly. My dislike of Metro itself is, in fact, the least of the reasons I dislike the OS. I do however, think it's a *great* reason; what's more important to a GUI interface than...the GUI?!

Furthermore, Win7 is scheduled for support through 2015 (2020 for the business versions); I don't have to "get on board" at all, fella. Similarly, XP worked fine, until M$ finally got it right and released Win7.

As to "one hit wonder": Quite possibly, but that does not address the large number of developers who - quite publicly - feel the same way about Win8.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Sep 2012 @ 14:02

1630.9.2012 14:50

Originally posted by Hopium:
i like all the unverified astroturfers in this thread :D
That, and it's funny to see they cannot into grammar at all. They're probably just a bunch of 12 year olds thinking they're all cool by defending a company that's been around a long time.

1730.9.2012 16:02
TerrancePlanceput
Unverified new user

Originally posted by ROMaster2:
Originally posted by Hopium:
i like all the unverified astroturfers in this thread :D
That, and its funny to see they cannot into grammar at all. Theyre probably just a bunch of 12 year olds thinking theyre all cool by defending a company thats been around a long time.
Have your read what you just typed? Your grammar is as bad as their grammar.

1830.9.2012 20:45

Originally posted by Bozobub:
Originally posted by MrDuckBringer:
I hate everyone who hates this operating system for no damn reason.

I hate people who think that I hate Windows 8 for no damn reason. Right back at ya.

Why do I hate WIn8?
- Metro. I simply don't like both the look and feel of the Metro interface on a traditional desktop PC. Perhaps on a touchscreen device, I wouldn't mind as much, but that's not what I tested Win8 on.
- Terrible integration of new features, including Metro. First they foist the Metro interface on me, then they don't properly integrate it with the system. Don't try to tell me I no longer need the desktop, then constantly force me to go to the desktop. That's infuriating.
- Complete over-emphasis on the new Windows Store, hand-in-hand with even MORE intrusive DRM. News flash: I didn't buy and build my PC to run freaking "apps", Metro or otherwise; I run applications. Additionally, I run a lot of old-school games that simply don't play nice with Win8.
- Complete design paradigm change for developers. A lot of indie developers simply can't afford to completely overhaul their workflow. For that matter, the big houses aren't too happy with it either; how many devs have now come out against Win8..?

There's simply no reason to force Metro on every user, except to make some marketing flacks happy. Similarly, there's no good reason to push the Windows Store so hard, except to make those exact same flacks cream their jeans.

It should tell you something, that this subject has xtago and me agreeing completely; that doesn't seem to happen too often o.O' ...
Wrong on most accounts!

And using "Metro" as an excuse is lame.

Metro is nothing more than a Windows 7 overlay and a START menu replacement. It's actually kinda cool so give it a try and concerted effort before ragging on it. Otherwise..........fall in line with all others stuck with 11 year old OS's.



I must say that while this game might be mildly fun to some simpletons..........it is in fact a game for NERDS! I.T., introverted, condescending, socially awkward NERDS.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Sep 2012 @ 20:49

1930.9.2012 21:53

Call me a "simpleton" as much as you like, but you're making several quite false assumptions. Furthermore, if you're going to claim that I'm wrong "on most accounts", you're going to have to actually say how I'm wrong, fella. Ad-hominem simply is not sufficient.

First, I HAVE tried Windows 8 and the Metro interface. It's not very well integrated, at all. Many actions dump you right back into the desktop that you're supposed to not need any more; that's not good integration. It comes across as Microsoft B.O.B., grafted over Windows 7, with touch screen features. Bleh. Furthermore, since the Metro interface is so heavily optimized for a touch screen, it falls flat when using it with a mouse and keyboard. You know, those things attached to every desktop PC..?

Second, if you think M$ hasn't heavily emphasized the new Windows Store, or that Win8 isn't even more DRM-addled than previous versions of the OS, you're quite plainly deluded, and/or haven't used Win8 at all, yourself. I honestly can't tell which.

Third, whose word do you think I'll take over the changed development workflow? Yours, or the actual devs who have come out against WIn8? Well? Think you have a say? LOL

And last, calling anyone/everyone posting on this forum "introverted, condescending, socially awkward NERDS" is pretty amusing. You apparently are unaware that YOU are posting on this selfsame forum, in a introverted, condescending, socially awkward manner. Irony is sweet.

*smooch*

201.10.2012 8:39

People are still arguing this? The truth is come launch date, Windows 8 will show the world what a hit or miss it will be and lets face it, this doesn't even have a prayer to = sales to that of Vista. And depending on just how picky it is to consumer's hardware/software and lets face it, the failure it is to communicate with your mouse and keyboard is a pretty big one when not everyone has a touch monitor; well... it could potentially flop worst than the dreaded Win ME. Time will tell, so those defending Windows 8, keep your pants on, you'll know soon enough.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Oct 2012 @ 8:39

211.10.2012 9:01

Originally posted by Bozobub:
Call me a "simpleton" as much as you like, but you're making several quite false assumptions. Furthermore, if you're going to claim that I'm wrong "on most accounts", you're going to have to actually say how I'm wrong, fella. Ad-hominem simply is not sufficient.

First, I HAVE tried Windows 8 and the Metro interface. It's not very well integrated, at all. Many actions dump you right back into the desktop that you're supposed to not need any more; that's not good integration. It comes across as Microsoft B.O.B., grafted over Windows 7, with touch screen features. Bleh. Furthermore, since the Metro interface is so heavily optimized for a touch screen, it falls flat when using it with a mouse and keyboard. You know, those things attached to every desktop PC..?

Second, if you think M$ hasn't heavily emphasized the new Windows Store, or that Win8 isn't even more DRM-addled than previous versions of the OS, you're quite plainly deluded, and/or haven't used Win8 at all, yourself. I honestly can't tell which.

Third, whose word do you think I'll take over the changed development workflow? Yours, or the actual devs who have come out against WIn8? Well? Think you have a say? LOL

And last, calling anyone/everyone posting on this forum "introverted, condescending, socially awkward NERDS" is pretty amusing. You apparently are unaware that YOU are posting on this selfsame forum, in a introverted, condescending, socially awkward manner. Irony is sweet.

*smooch*
i love you bozobub

221.10.2012 9:43

Originally posted by Mex88:
Notch being a hypocrite again.

He is willing to release on Xbox live and IOS. Yet not windows 8, he has the same stance on steam. If he has no choice he goes along with closed systems, especially if there's a lot of money to make.

In situations like this he gets a ton of free advertising and an ego boost for being 'good guy notch'.
You need to read it.

He says he's not going to help MS put Minecraft on to the Win8 store.

MS can do it themselves, if they really want it on there.

231.10.2012 9:51

Originally posted by Mysttic:
People are still arguing this? The truth is come launch date, Windows 8 will show the world what a hit or miss it will be and lets face it, this doesn't even have a prayer to = sales to that of Vista. And depending on just how picky it is to consumer's hardware/software and lets face it, the failure it is to communicate with your mouse and keyboard is a pretty big one when not everyone has a touch monitor; well... it could potentially flop worst than the dreaded Win ME. Time will tell, so those defending Windows 8, keep your pants on, you'll know soon enough.
It's probably flop big time.

Many companies aren't up for upgrading and those who are looking at upgrading aren't up for Win8 either that was the problem for ME it was made for the home user and it flopped so bad that MS had to rush out Vista to try and keep business in their pocket.

Then people didn't like Vista either so they put out Win7 a hybrid version of Win Server again to keep business happy.

The new Office has been panned by a heap of businesses as well.

It's the big business that keep MS and Windows/office ticking over not home users.

Win8 will be MS version of a Home only OS it'll flop because home users don't use it at work thus won't want it at home either as they can't learn how to use it better at home/work.

241.10.2012 12:31

I have to agree. Most businesses aren't particularly interested in the new Metro interface/Start screen, or for that matter, Metro apps in general. The fact that it will take a significant amount of time and money to train people for the new interface is another big loser.

251.10.2012 13:58

I see it as more of "catchup" to Apple. For a very long time MS was superior to Apple in ease of use for the computer. Many people across the world knew what "Windows" is/was. Apple had to emulate some of mojo MS had.

Apple then introduced ios and MS has been playing catch up since.

I think Win8 will be a mixed bag for users. It looks like, to me, a intergration of mobile os and desktop os rolled into one. Apple is doing thins, but MS is trying to speed the course up and retake the lead.

Enterprise is slowly looking at Apple for some applications, but MS is the staple. If there is enough hardware support and development support for enterprise, Win 8 will be great.

However, my pessimistic approach to MS rolling out this cleanly, tells me it is going to be messy at first.

265.10.2012 16:37
WindowslessGuy
Unverified new user

Molsen,

IOS is the worst piece of trash OS, I have ever been forced to use in my life. By no way is Apple in any position to take over the marketplace with heavily draconian ideas of what people can and can't do to their PC.

It's had far more locking up issues then a windows ME machine ever had and is simply selling on status symbol alone.

Furthermore Window 8 is shit since it is trying to copy it.

275.10.2012 17:46

I'm not really surprised Markus doesn't want to play.. why go to all the trouble and expense for the 3 W8 users anyhow?




ARR! Them pesky Navy! Get out of my sea!
irc://irc.villageirc.net/afterdawn http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive