Hacker gets pay day from Google for cracking Chrome

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 11 Oct 2012 16:34 User comments (10)

Hacker gets pay day from Google for cracking Chrome A hacker who goes by the name "Pinkie Pie" has had a nice pay day.
Pinkie Pie was paid $60,000 by Google for hacking the Chrome browser during the ongoing Hack in the Box Conference event in Kuala Lampur.

Google allows hackers to attack their Chrome browser as long as they report vulnerabilities. The grand prize was $60,000 for anyone who found a "full exploit." All partial exploits have prizes of $50,000.

The search giant called the hack "critical" and says it will not reveal the vulnerability until the majority of its users have patched their system.

Other companies like Mozilla and Facebook offer similar bounty programs, offering money for those who come forward after finding exploits.

Read more here: Chrome Blog

Related news

111.10.2012 19:55

great for him :)

212.10.2012 0:58

Originally posted by A5J4DX:
great for him :)
Could be a her. I mean, what self respecting guy would go by the name "Pinkie Pie"? lol I kid of course, but seems more like a chick to me.

312.10.2012 2:22

Well good for whoever did it, and didn't abuse it. That's a nice chuck of money.

412.10.2012 2:27

I wish I was that good with computers. I'd use my powers for good like that. Would be nice.

512.10.2012 5:46

Originally posted by bigdan45:
Originally posted by A5J4DX:
great for him :)
- but remember Hitler's handle was Hot Cheeks
Brilliant

712.10.2012 12:48

I love how Google won't reveal the vulnerability until "After" the patch. You would think consumers would have a right to know "before" the patch.

812.10.2012 15:17

Originally posted by Mysttic:
IMHO a good move by Google. Revealing the vulnerability before opens the doors for other hackers to exploit it and compromise users PC's.

Remember it is only a handful of users who are tech savvy enough to be able to protect themselves.

913.10.2012 11:33

Maybe Sony should take notes from Google on this topic.

OH YES ... THERE WILL BE BLOOD.

1013.10.2012 22:33

Originally posted by Mysttic:
Are you joking? It's better than Microsoft's strategy of running a report of the mechanics behind exactly how a newly discovered exploit works, then patches it two months later.