Pirate Bay ban in Finland is upheld by court

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 30 Oct 2012 13:29 User comments (5)

Pirate Bay ban in Finland is upheld by court Finnish ISP failed to have ban struck down.
ISP Elisa took on the copyright lobby in Finland, seeking to overturn a ban on the Pirate Bay websites in the country, but the Supreme Court decided today that the ban on the notorious BitTorrent websites should stay in place.

The Pirate Bay is now banned officially in the UK, the Netherlands, Italy and Finland.

Elisa is one of only a few ISPs in Europe who have decided to fight orders to ban the website. In Ireland, for example, the largest ISP Eircom does ban the Pirate Bay, but UPC in the country went to court to resist the order, and won.

In the UK, the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) is now seeking a ban on three more sites; Fenopy, H33t and Kickass Torrents. It hopes that bans on sites that offer pirate content (or links to it) can be sped up compared to the many months it took to force ISPs to block the Pirate Bay.

Digital rights and advocacy groups are crying foul on the growing trend in Europe.

"Web blocking does not seem to be reducing infringement but is aligning copyright industries with a policy of censorship. It is encouraging further calls of censorship and financing enhanced censorship technologies. Web censorship needs to be resisted and rolled back," said Jim Killock, chairman of the Open Rights Group.

Related news

130.10.2012 14:07

I'd never even heard of Fenopy or H33t, thanks anti-piracy organizations for giving these wonderful sites free advertising!

231.10.2012 4:22

Originally posted by Qliphah:
Agreed. Should I require other torrent sites to check out, I'll be sure to give these a try.

@hearme0
With Demonoid gone, TPB is my default torrent site. When I don't see what I'm searching for on The Bay, then I scour other torrent sites. I knew about Fenopy, but I will admit that I hadn't heard of h33t. But that's ok. Now that I know, it will go on my list ;-)

Oh, by the by, I like to keep under my virtual torrent rock to avoid sunburn. Lol
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Nov 2012 @ 1:48

331.10.2012 14:07

Never heard of H33t???

Man......you both have been living under a virtual Torrent rock. I can see not having heard of Fenopy but H33t??? They are among the top 5 uploaders of ANYTHING.

Try www.torrentz.eu That's what I use and isohunt.com too. First one is better as it searches others sites like Fenopy, H33t and TPB

As for blocking The Pirate Bay..... www.anonymouse.org

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 31 Oct 2012 @ 14:08

41.11.2012 10:10

Try www.torrentz.eu
In the past few weeks Torrentz has removed a lot of search results in compliance with EUCD/DMCA requests. Films like Expendables 2 are not available except foreign versions.

All they're doing is providing links to torrent sites and aggregators - like Google - but I guess it's their necks on the line.

So far I haven't seen any TV programmes being affected.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Nov 2012 @ 10:11

We once had a empire and it was led by an emperor then we had a kingdom which was led by a king. Now we have a country.

51.11.2012 23:07
Dariusm
Unverified new user

All you need to unblock The Pirate Bay: proxybay.info

Latest news

Plex now available for PS3, PS4 with limitations Plex now available for PS3, PS4 with limitations (17 Dec 2014 22:56)
A little over a month after Plex released an app for the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, the personal media streaming company has released apps for the PS3 and PS4.
U.S. to blame North Korea for Sony Pictures hack U.S. to blame North Korea for Sony Pictures hack (17 Dec 2014 21:52)
According to numerous media outlets, U.S. government officials will announce tomorrow that North Korea was indeed behind the devastating hack on Sony Pictures.
Sony has no plans to ever release 'The Interview' - no DVD, Blu-ray, no VOD, no TV Sony has no plans to ever release 'The Interview' - no DVD, Blu-ray, no VOD, no TV (17 Dec 2014 20:30)
Sony Pictures has now decided against ever releasing 'The Interview' in any form, almost guaranteeing themselves a $100 million loss on the film.
Nearly everyone in Hollywood is outraged by Sony and the movie theater chain's 'act of cowardice' in canceling 'The Interview' Nearly everyone in Hollywood is outraged by Sony and the movie theater chain's 'act of cowardice' in canceling 'The Interview' (17 Dec 2014 20:00)
Following news that all the major U.S. movie theater chains would not be showing 'The Interview,' Sony Pictures announced it was canceling the release of the film, which was slated to open on Christmas in the U.S.
The hackers win: Sony cancels release of 'The Interview' as movie theaters bail The hackers win: Sony cancels release of 'The Interview' as movie theaters bail (17 Dec 2014 19:39)
Just hours after major U.S. theater chains said they would not screen the film following terrorists threats, Sony has canceled the release of 'The Interview,' a comedy in which Seth Rogen and James Franco are sent to North Korea to assassinate Kim Jo