Nintendo announces Wii Mini for Canadian gamers

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 27 Nov 2012 21:28 User comments (12)

Nintendo announces Wii Mini for Canadian gamers The tiny console will sell for $99.
Six years after launch of the Wii and one week after the launch of the new Wii U, Nintendo has announced the Wii Mini, available to gamers to Canada.

The console will move to a new red and black colorway, keep the same top-loading disc drive, but completely remove Internet connectivity.

It is exclusive to Canada for the time being, but other regions are expected to see the Mini next year.

All buyers will receive the console, a sensor bar, red Wii MotionPlus controller and red nunchuk.

127.11.2012 21:43

Exclusive to Canada? What is that?!

It's fugly and I'm not sure what they're getting at here. Drop the price of the old Wii instead?

227.11.2012 22:12

I read about ths earlier today. At first I thought it was a joke. After seeing it on Nintendo's website, I realized it was actually real. I'm surprised that the maple leafers are the test market for his. I would have thought they would test it in South America first.

327.11.2012 23:20

Sony's playbook is not the one you should be reading from, Nintendo! Bad! *Bops nose*

428.11.2012 2:10

I have a Wii, that I haven't touched in a couple years, or really ever, so I don't know much. I'm just going to assume that there isn't really much to do with internet connectivity on the regular Wii, so losing it isn't all that bad?

*\\\****//\\\***//\\\*****
**\\\**//**\\\*//**\\\*******
***\\\//****\\\ ****\\\****

528.11.2012 6:15

This could sell like hot cakes in third world countries with poor internet penetration..IF sold at that price

628.11.2012 6:40

728.11.2012 12:59

Well, software updates and you can install channels to add functionality - e.g. BBC iPlayer here in the UK, etc v
I going to guess that if they are willing to ship this unit out at all, it means there won't be any software updates needed as they will drop support for Wii altogether. Any new titles that may come out will use the latest firmware, so this won't be an issue.

I still baffled as to why tho, and disappointed it didn't come bundled with a game. Even still despite owning a Wii I bought one for collectors sake. There's no telling or at least too early to tell whether or not this unit may have a higher value one day.

828.11.2012 16:28

'cause Canada is just a "mini" version of the U.S. right?????

Maybe in population but not size. How insulting is this to Canadians!

929.11.2012 16:45

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Nov 2012 @ 17:34

1029.11.2012 17:16

I agree with those people who are mentioned this above, I don't really see the point of releasing this in the developed economies. It seemed like it could be a smash hit in the developing economies. But beyond that I really don't see a point for the system. I really didn't follow the battle of the systems once everything was released but, it seems to me like once the Xbox 360 and PlayStation three became viable competitors Nintendo's system really kind of floundered.

It seems like they were the first to come to the market with the idea of motion-based gaming but then everyone else did it and did it better.

1129.11.2012 18:11

this unit may have a higher value one day.
Oh undoubtedly when it doesn't do well in Canada and they either kill it off completely or ship it out to India it will increase exponentially in value.

1229.11.2012 19:14

This is just a shot in the dark but could they be testing the water for cheaper game systems around the world? I don't know if they have already done this but it is quite possible that we could see a cheaper version of the Nintendo DS and other Nintendo systems released around the world if this goes well

Again, this is just completed speculation and guessing on my part. I don't really see any other reason to release the system other than to market it to smaller developing economies.

Latest news

A bug in Chrome allows you to download Netflix movies A bug in Chrome allows you to download Netflix movies (25 Jun 2016 15:21)
A group of security researchers have found a vulnerability in Google's Chrome browser that allows downloading movies straight from Netflix. This is obviously not a feature especially the entertainment ....
Three out of four Netflix customers would rather cancel than watch ads Three out of four Netflix customers would rather cancel than watch ads (25 Jun 2016 14:05)
For a long time Netflix was adamant on its pricing. No changes were made for a long time and everything seemed to be good. The markets obviously reacted and more expensive deals and original ....
Apple Music left in the dust, Spotify at 100 million subscribers Apple Music left in the dust, Spotify at 100 million subscribers (25 Jun 2016 12:01)
Spotify has told The Telegraph that it has surpassed the 100 million mark in subscribers. Paying subscribers was earlier this year reported to have passed 30 million. Apple meanwhile is having ....
Rumor has it that Apple has cancelled iPhone's dual camera Rumor has it that Apple has cancelled iPhone's dual camera (18 Jun 2016 18:05)
The next iPhone will be a major upgrade to current iPhone 6s. This biyearly full upgrade cycle provides us with a bigger upgrade every two years. But how will Apple update its number one product, ....
OnePlus releases new flagship killer, smaller X discontinued OnePlus releases new "flagship killer", smaller X discontinued (18 Jun 2016 16:11)
The small Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus took the world by storm two years ago by releasing a super cheap flagship smartphone. They called it the flagship killer, and it indeed challenged ....