Report: Almost 25 percent of iPhones have cracked screen

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 08 Feb 2013 19:01 User comments (15)

Report: Almost 25 percent of iPhones have cracked screen According to smartphone insurance site MobileInsurance.co.uk, 23 percent of all iPhones have cracked or smashed screens.
Owners were asked whether their display is currently cracked, smashed or broken.

Most of the owners spent a long time with the broken screen, with the average length being 6 months.

30 percent said they were not insured, 30 percent said they could not afford to fix it and 40 percent were okay with living with the damage, most likely because of one of the first two questions.

A full 31 percent said they would never fix their iPhone or wait until their next upgrade.

More news

Related news

18.2.2013 19:21

No surprise here.

Smartphones (not just the iPhones) with big screens and small bezels will smash with just one drop.

My phone fell out of my pocket onto concrete whilst sitting down (around 1 feet off the ground) and the screen cracked.

28.2.2013 19:41

What can I say? People pay the outrageous price for the phone and realise they can't afford the insurance or the repair. I don't pity them one bit.

38.2.2013 20:13

Yes, it's more than likely true. So, what's the fix? Can U replace the screen yourself?

48.2.2013 20:16

My Samsung Galaxy S2 fell out of my shirt pocket while I was bending over to tie my shoe yesterday. No cracks or scratches, still works. Maybe its because I bought a protective cover for it and it softened the blow. Not sure, but I'll be more careful in the future.

"Do not underestimate the power of an enemy, no matter how great or small, to rise against you another day." - Atilla

59.2.2013 2:50

Seeing how some people treat their mobile devices (not just smartphones or even just phones), I'm not surprised. Even more ridiculous is how many idiots think being willfully negligent and breaking their stuff is covered under warranty, as though it was s design defect that the device couldn't withstand their stupid behavior.

69.2.2013 3:01

I smashed my HD2 so many times, I legit thought the screen was plastic. Eventually dropped it flat on it's screen from like 3 feet onto concrete, and sure enough half the screen shattered (same as article pic lol).

I think some phones are definitely more durable than others when it comes to their glass though... I've seen iPhones drop from inches onto their side and end up with cracks. My HD2 was beat to hell before it finally cracked, chips and chunks outta all four corners.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Feb 2013 @ 3:02

*\\\****//\\\***//\\\*****
**\\\**//**\\\*//**\\\*******
***\\\//****\\\ ****\\\****

79.2.2013 4:19

I dropped my S3 7 feet onto concrete and it landed face down. The back cover popped off, the battery came out, and the sd card ejected. Put it back together and you would never know. Maybe if iphones could divert some of the force of impact they would be harder to break...or maybe apple just needs to use quality components. I know the problem isn't big screens with small frames because apple has big frames with small screens.

89.2.2013 4:44

I added all our smart phones to the house insurance for 2.00 a month. Thats five phones. The local o2 shop wanted to charge me 15.00 a month for one phone.

99.2.2013 9:35

I have a Seidio case that is quite protective. I think they call it a convert. Anyhow, it is a case within a case. I know for some it may be bulky, but for my lifestyle, I like the safety of such a case.

109.2.2013 17:46

I have dropped a LG & HTC out of my hand (standing up) on concrete floor [no case] and nothing happen; maybe I been lucky. But when I get mad I have been smashed them to peaces: The insurance only cover a 3 times replacement yearly... & maybe I need a "anger management" classes :)))

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Feb 2013 @ 17:51

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

119.2.2013 19:06

Originally posted by pensfan12:
No surprise here.

thats funny I've dropped my old Evo 4G on concrete (I'm 6'4") about 6 or seven times and never cracked it...I've dropped a mid range Droid Samsung Admire many times and its never had even a scratch...my current phone Galaxy S3...same thing...i think iPhones are just cheap....you just always see their screen broke...the only phones I've ever seen with a broken screen are iPhones...
wow...
They cost alot...but not very strong... Droids are tanks.

129.2.2013 20:58

think if you broke an iphone screen and contacted foxconn they would be able to sent you a replacement very cheap.
nothing beats the old nokias for durability.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

1310.2.2013 0:31

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
nothing beats the old nokias for durability.

You can get replacement parts...I know a few people who repair friends' smartphones. You might want to have small hands or get someone w/ small hands to do it, though. ;-)

1410.2.2013 1:16

I kinda get the feeling that Apple purposely design their screens to be as fragile as they are since they basically have walk-in repair centers set up everywhere and they probably make dealing with these issues very profitable.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Feb 2013 @ 1:16

*\\\****//\\\***//\\\*****
**\\\**//**\\\*//**\\\*******
***\\\//****\\\ ****\\\****

1511.2.2013 14:31

Just for reference, where I work we have about 20% of our iPhones broke annually. One woman has broken 3 screens and now just lives with it. On the other hand not one broken android phone aside from a S2 that got ran over by a truck. And my personal AtrixHD has taken falls and spills that would brick any other phone I've had. Kevlar case and nano-particle water/dust proof coating makes a difference I guess.

Latest user comments