Unauthorized P2P music sharing falls by 26 percent

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 27 Feb 2013 12:55 User comments (10)

Unauthorized P2P music sharing falls by 26 percent According to NPD, users of P2P services to download unauthorized music has fallen 17 percent year-over-year in the U.S. as consumers move towards legal alternatives.
Due to the drop, overall volume of illegally downloaded music fell 26 percent, a number that must certainly excite the record labels.

NPD's annual survey showed that piracy as a whole (for music) is falling in nearly every category.

Music files ripped from CDs owned by family/friends/acquaintances dropped by 44 percent, the number of files shared between hard drives fell by 25 percent and the volume of music downloads from cyber lockers fell by 28 percent reads the survey.

For most of those surveyed, the reason given for the slowdown in piracy was the readily available legal alternatives, such as Spotify, that offer unlimited offerings with the ability to search for tracks, new and old.

Related news

127.2.2013 17:00

Realistic business models involving less profiteering.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

227.2.2013 17:26

lol chalk this up to crap music who wants crap music

327.2.2013 17:56

Originally posted by deak91:
lol chalk this up to crap music who wants crap music
Really?!? I just thought it was just all music. My bad.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-

427.2.2013 19:06

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Originally posted by deak91:
lol chalk this up to crap music who wants crap music
Really?!? I just thought it was just all music. My bad.

lol good point ....at some point in time they began to tell us that crap music is good music and no one caught on

527.2.2013 22:16

Originally posted by deak91:
Originally posted by Jemborg:
Originally posted by deak91:
lol chalk this up to crap music who wants crap music
Really?!? I just thought it was just all music. My bad.

Yeah, I must admit I don't use it. I was likening it to Netflix I suppose which naturally isn't available in Oz because we're the only country in the world that can fake orgasm while being r@ped.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-

628.2.2013 3:40

Actually it's not just music!!!!

See the main issue is most p2p sites went from p2p to bittorrent p2p hybrid because of this there distributing more viruses malware and spyware and rar files that lead to fake sites to get fake passwords for fake rar files that infect more machines good to see most hackers are not stupid

728.2.2013 8:24

Originally posted by deak91:
lol chalk this up to crap music who wants crap music
I couldn't agree more!! :)

828.2.2013 9:23

Well now that the funny is out of the way ... I think the reason is the consumer is more wise as to how they spend their money .... Sure p2p numbers went down but so did sales. I bet digital sales for singles went up but posting that would point out the truth about how they justify not making that billionth dollar they say they need or they would be hurting

928.2.2013 15:42

Originally posted by deak91:
Not to mention you can just as easily watch a video on YouTube, and from any device... you can even rip the MP3 right from the video. It's not for audiophiles, but if for some reason you need the file, you now have it.

1028.2.2013 16:41

Originally posted by SProdigy:
Originally posted by deak91:
lol, I like to rip music from movies too; but yes people get smarter on how to get info, spend less & download the right apps.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Feb 2013 @ 16:44

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.