AfterDawn: Tech news

Nvidia SHIELD to be available starting August

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 28 May 2013 21:33 User comments (11)

Nvidia SHIELD to be available starting August Two weeks ago, we reported that the NVIDIA SHIELD "console" would be available for pre-orders through multiple retail partners starting on May 17th.
Today, Nvidia's Vice President of Investor Relations Rob Csongor has said all May pre-orders will ship in August.

The 'console-grade' controller features a 720p display, powered by Tegra 4 and running Android. "SHIELD is the one device that taps into the planet's largest ecosystem of games -- spanning NVIDIA TegraZone, Google Play and Steam," NVIDIA's announcement reads. "Rediscover your Android games with the mobility, control and performance of SHIELD. Connect to your Google Play account to enjoy your favorite movies, music and apps."

NVIDIA SHIELD's specifications:
  • Tegra 4 The world's fastest mobile processor delivers rich graphics and unbeatable performance thanks to 72 GPU cores, four CPU cores and 2GB of RAM
  • Console-grade controller Precise control thanks to dual analog joysticks, a full-sized D-Pad, left and right analog triggers, full-sized bumpers and A/B/X/Y buttons
  • Multi-touch display 5-inch, 720p retinal multi-touch display for high-fidelity visuals
  • Integrated speakers Custom, bass reflex, tuned port audio system we think this is SHIELD's sleeper feature
  • Wi-Fi 802.11n 2X2 MIMO game-speed Wi-Fi for game streaming
  • Pure Android Latest Android Jelly Bean operating system from Google, for access to Android games and apps
  • There's more NVIDIA put into SHIELD everything we would want in a premium mobile gaming device: 16 GB memory, GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, a mini-HDMI output, micro-USB 2.0, a microSD storage slot, a 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
View a complete spec sheet here.

SHIELD is also available through Newegg, GameStop, Micro Center and Canada Computers for $349.



Previous Next  

11 user comments

128.5.2013 23:03

An interesting device, but who's going to pay as much as a next-gen console or a semi-decent laptop for a portable game console?

I predict a drastic price cut, once reality bites 'em on the ass.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 May 2013 @ 23:03

229.5.2013 0:40

Originally posted by Bozobub:
An interesting device, but who's going to pay as much as a next-gen console or a semi-decent laptop for a portable game console?

I predict a drastic price cut, once reality bites 'em on the ass.
Agreed.

You going to get one of these Andre? You seem pretty keen on it, that's not the first time you've listed the specs.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

329.5.2013 2:16

I guess I should really be more charitable. After all, a phone with anything approaching these specs would cost, what, $500, if bought outright (unsubsidized)? I was thinking about that just a little while ago. But nVidia is going to have to do a lot of legwork, to convince people that they should spend this kind of money on something that isn't as directly useful as a cellular phone.

*shrug*

I still think we'll be seeing these for around $199 before Christmas. If they CAN bring the price down, I think it actually has a moderate chance of success, assuming it performs as advertised.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 May 2013 @ 2:17

429.5.2013 2:25

Planetside 2 on the toilet . Gimme that


Hack a bit, invest a bit, work a bit, jerk a bit

529.5.2013 3:49

Originally posted by Bozobub:
I guess I should really be more charitable. After all, a phone with anything approaching these specs would cost, what, $500, if bought outright (unsubsidized)? I was thinking about that just a little while ago. But nVidia is going to have to do a lot of legwork, to convince people that they should spend this kind of money on something that isn't as directly useful as a cellular phone.

*shrug*

I still think we'll be seeing these for around $199 before Christmas. If they CAN bring the price down, I think it actually has a moderate chance of success, assuming it performs as advertised.
Did you know Nvidia is also an investor in OUYA now? (It's Tegra3 the Shield is T4.)

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

629.5.2013 7:02

Very interesting, but so pricey.

729.5.2013 8:35

add a calling feature and you have a game console and phone in 1.


custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

829.5.2013 8:36

Interesting console but the price instantly made me think of the sega game gear debacle (yes I'm old lol). I don't care if the thing will cook me dinner and wash my car, no one wants to buy a portable console for the price of a non portable.

929.5.2013 10:56

Quote:
Interesting console but the price instantly made me think of the sega game gear debacle (yes I'm old lol). I don't care if the thing will cook me dinner and wash my car, no one wants to buy a portable console for the price of a non portable.
Really Gamegear was the best you could come up with? lol. I am old too, and even own 1: but the better analogy would be the
Nokia's N-Gage.

1029.5.2013 17:54

Agreed; this has "N-Gage" written all over it, although admittedly it doesn't look like the design is anywhere near as badly executed.

1129.5.2013 20:28

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
add a calling feature and you have a game console and phone in 1.
Don't be sensible!

Did Sony listen when it came to the PS Vita? Stop rocking the boat!

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive